Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT (620)- Need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Retaking GMAT (620)- Need some advice [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 07:09
Hi,
Yesterday was a bad day for me to say the least. I scored 620 on the GMAT.
Total - 620
Quant - 46
Verbal - 30

The reason I am frustated is that I have been scoring quite well in the prep tests.
GMAT Prep (1) - 640
GMAT Prep (2) - 650
GMAT Prep (2) (Second Attempt) - 700
MGMAT Test - 650+ in all the test except 1 where I scored 580 and the reason was I was half asleep :(.

I have only a couple of colleges that I am aiming to join because of certain considerations that I have to make. Hence I have no other option but to write my GMAT again and also the college that I am aiming is going to close its admission window by Nov 30. Hence I have decided to apply it for next year only.

Given the fact that I have now ample amount of time in my hand to focus on the preparation, I want to give it my best shot. I know lagged little in the determination and effort this time, as I applied the fifth gear only at the very last moment. I just feel it was a little too late. But such is the work pressure that focusing for 3 conitnous months becomes impossible.

I would like to seek the following advice. I have analysed a few points that have led to my downfall
1. Time Management - I lost track of time in the quant section and that has led to my downfall. I was aiming to score above 51 in Quant. A fact that I know I can do. But somehow it didnt happen this time.
2. Issue With Verbal - In all my tests I have been scoring low on the verbal in the range of 32-38, but getting a 30 was again a disappointment.

Can anyone please advise as to how I should re-stratigize my preparation so as to get a good score in the range of 700+.
I have prepared from OG 12 Edition and also given the MGMAT tests. If I retry those same questions the score would improve but would not be realistic. Hence I want to know what other books or reference material should I use to improve.

Note: I have read the posts that mention, you score slightly above than your first GMAT score. But I would not want to believe that and push for a high score.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Retaking GMAT (620)- Need some advice [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 07:54
First of all, you can definitely improve your score. It will take hard work and dedication, but it can be done.

1. Time Management: Sometimes people have difficulties with time because they don't practice in a way that replicates the actual GMAT; they take too much time to complete practice problems. Anyone can figure out a problem if they give themselves 10 minutes to do so, but that isn't realistic for a real GMAT situation. Use a time when you do any practice problems and focus on completing all problems within 2 minutes.

2. What books have you used to study verbal? I think that the MGMAT verbal books are very helpful at teaching the fundamentals. I am not saying that you need to buy the MGMAT verbal books, but I would look for a book that is specifically geared towards teaching verbal concepts. The GMAT Club has some great resources (Flash Cards/PDFs) that you can download for free.

Also, use the resources and forums on this site to your advantage. There is a ton of great material here.

Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Retaking GMAT (620)- Need some advice   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2012, 07:54