Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT after 5 years - need help in verbal study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Retaking GMAT after 5 years - need help in verbal study plan [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
Friends,
I plan to retake my GMAT after 5 years. The first time around I scored 570(Q 47/ V23) after 5 weeks of preparation - a bad score and hence did not do anything about it then.

I am looking to improve my score substantially - around the 700's. I started my preparation this time by taking the crack gmat test (since it was already installed on my computer) and was disappointed with a score of 545. I am looking for advice in following a structured approach to tackle the verbal section. Also, information on the material to be used will be of great help.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking GMAT after 5 years - need help in verbal study [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
raoarun wrote:
Friends,
I plan to retake my GMAT after 5 years. The first time around I scored 570(Q 47/ V23) after 5 weeks of preparation - a bad score and hence did not do anything about it then.

I am looking to improve my score substantially - around the 700's. I started my preparation this time by taking the crack gmat test (since it was already installed on my computer) and was disappointed with a score of 545. I am looking for advice in following a structured approach to tackle the verbal section. Also, information on the material to be used will be of great help.

Thanks

My personal suggestion to you:

OG11
OG verbal
1000s SC,CR and RC

Manhattan Review 7 series verbal books or all
I heard good words about Princeton books but dunno which ones
Criticalreasoningbible book

and Gmatclub
:)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 18:44
Thanks for your suggestions. One more question. The 1000SC does not have explanation for its answers. Is there a place I can refer to for answers? Or do I look for help on the forum.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
I would look for help in the forum. Try searching for them first, though... there are tons of stuff out there.

I would also recommend the Manhattan GMAT Sentece Correction (red cover). It's been a great help to me.

When are you taking the GMAT?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 18:52
I plan to take it in late Dec. Have not registered as yet. I hope I am giving enough time for preparation!!
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking GMAT after 5 years - need help in verbal study [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 20:17
Ravshonbek wrote:
raoarun wrote:
Friends,

Thanks

My personal suggestion to you:

OG11
OG verbal
1000s SC,CR and RC

Manhattan Review 7 series verbal books or all
I heard good words about Princeton books but dunno which ones
Criticalreasoningbible book

and Gmatclub
:)

Where is Criticalreasoningbible book, I am unaware of this..
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 13:45
I am not aware of this either.
Also, has anyone used http://www.litesee.com/

I find it very difficult to finish 25 questions in 15 minutes. Is that the expected pace?
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2007, 13:45