Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 11:15
I will be retaking the GMAT next week :? and am trying to perfect my strategy. As i have already taken the GMAT once I am in somewhat of a unique situation. My last GMAT exam I scored a 640 and was disapointed, on a relative basis i scored above 76% of everyone else, which isn't bad but no were near the score I need to be competitive in a top 10 program. My math score was right around were my practice exams were (41), however I was scoring between 40 and 41 in Verbal on my practice exams and scored only 36 on the real thing. I was able to do well on AWA and get a 5.5.

So I continued to to work on math and verbal and am now in the 700-740 range scoring on practice tests between 49-46 on Quant and 40-42 on verbal. What I was wondering, how bad would you think it would look from the perspective of the admissions if I skipped the AWA on my next GMAT exam? I think fitigue was a major contributor to my lower Verbal score as I was tired after so many hours of essays and quant. Given I already did well on the AWA on the first exam. I figure this would help me be fresher for the verbal section and maximize my chances for scorring 700+.

I know the schools take your "best" score so i figured this might work but does come with some risk.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 12:26
Just do the AWA. Rest up the day before. Don't exert yourself too much. Why even open yourself up to the possibility that it would be viewed negatively by the adcom? Just do the AWA and kick a$$ the rest of the way through.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 07:37
robertrdzak wrote:
I will be retaking the GMAT next week :? and am trying to perfect my strategy. As i have already taken the GMAT once I am in somewhat of a unique situation. My last GMAT exam I scored a 640 and was disapointed, on a relative basis i scored above 76% of everyone else, which isn't bad but no were near the score I need to be competitive in a top 10 program. My math score was right around were my practice exams were (41), however I was scoring between 40 and 41 in Verbal on my practice exams and scored only 36 on the real thing. I was able to do well on AWA and get a 5.5.

So I continued to to work on math and verbal and am now in the 700-740 range scoring on practice tests between 49-46 on Quant and 40-42 on verbal. What I was wondering, how bad would you think it would look from the perspective of the admissions if I skipped the AWA on my next GMAT exam? I think fitigue was a major contributor to my lower Verbal score as I was tired after so many hours of essays and quant. Given I already did well on the AWA on the first exam. I figure this would help me be fresher for the verbal section and maximize my chances for scorring 700+.

I know the schools take your "best" score so i figured this might work but does come with some risk.

i think skipping the AWA would be a very bad idea. The schools will not be able to compare you with other applicants. Don't stress about the AWA - uses minimal effort for it.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 11:13
Expert's post
robertrdzak wrote:
if I skipped the AWA on my next GMAT exam?

I would not recommend to do so. I would work on concentration as well as physical and mental shape: swimming, tennis, gym. Maybe do you think GMAT is the boring thing? NO! It is the most interesting thing on the planet, each question, each answer option, idiom, concepts.... At least for 3 hours! ;)
Just repeat that and It will probably help you to be in shape till the end of exam.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 21:21
hows your retake?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 13:38
simple spend less time of AWA ..finish is quickly.

What are you planning on saying to Ad com if you get a 2 in AWA???
Re: Retaking GMAT need advise (1st was 640 V36 Q41)   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2009, 13:38