Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 12:01
Hi all,
I've been browsing through the stories here at GMAT Club and they are very inspirational. I took my GMAT today and completely bombed it (from my perspective): 640 (42Q, 36V). I took the Manhattan GMAT course (which I highly recommend) and followed the instructions to a T. I think that I may have jumped the gun a bit in my hastiness to the take exam. My practice scores have ranged from 640 (diagnostic, knowing nothing) to 710: I generally averaged a 680/690. I took 3 Manhattan GMATs and the two GMAT prep exams. interestingly enough, my quant scores were much higher on GMAT (47Q) than the official Prep ones. Verbal was higher on the official prep ones. All of the practice exams were taken under 'exam' conditions (timed, 8 min breaks, AWA).

Today, I just got extremely nervous and literally could not think through the questions. The essays were pretty straightforward and relevant to my current occupation, so I liked that. When I got to the quant, however, I just felt like every question was pretty easy yet I couldn't figure them out. This was evidenced by the fact that my hand was literally shaking when I was working through the math problems.

Verbal was fairly straightforward but again, I definitely did not perform up to my potential. The whole time I just felt like I didn't care enough.

I am obviously bummed out but going to look ahead. I can honestly say that I think my fundamentals are pretty solid. I will go ahead and review some of my troubled areas and review my error logs from the OG. Now here's my question: how long should i wait before taking the exam again? I was thinking 4-6 weeks. And, should I use any other books? I've been reading that people recommend the GMAT club tests, which I think I will purchase.

My general plan is to:
1) Redo the OG12 problems. Reanalyze my weak points and follow up with my Manhattan GMAT materials.
2) Do the GMAT club exams.
3) Retake the remaining Manhattan CATs (I think I have 4 left).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 12:35
sorry to hear that man. It seems you got the basics but you need more practice questions and use error log at this point. Instead of redoing problems i would suggest gmat club tests or any other company question books so you get a broader range of questions. Did you answer all the questions on the exam at least? if you didnt then you get penalized heavily..

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 12:37
Thanks Shaselai. The only thing I did well (in my opinion) was timing. I ended up on the last problem (of both sections) with about 2-2.5 min. A lot of the questions I'm pretty sure I've seen before in some way or another...I just couldn't synthesize them. It was extremely frustrating.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 13:52
herserendipity wrote:
Hi all,
I've been browsing through the stories here at GMAT Club and they are very inspirational. I took my GMAT today and completely bombed it (from my perspective): 640 (42Q, 36V). I took the Manhattan GMAT course (which I highly recommend) and followed the instructions to a T. I think that I may have jumped the gun a bit in my hastiness to the take exam. My practice scores have ranged from 640 (diagnostic, knowing nothing) to 710: I generally averaged a 680/690. I took 3 Manhattan GMATs and the two GMAT prep exams. interestingly enough, my quant scores were much higher on GMAT (47Q) than the official Prep ones. Verbal was higher on the official prep ones. All of the practice exams were taken under 'exam' conditions (timed, 8 min breaks, AWA).

Today, I just got extremely nervous and literally could not think through the questions. The essays were pretty straightforward and relevant to my current occupation, so I liked that. When I got to the quant, however, I just felt like every question was pretty easy yet I couldn't figure them out. This was evidenced by the fact that my hand was literally shaking when I was working through the math problems.

Verbal was fairly straightforward but again, I definitely did not perform up to my potential. The whole time I just felt like I didn't care enough.

I am obviously bummed out but going to look ahead. I can honestly say that I think my fundamentals are pretty solid. I will go ahead and review some of my troubled areas and review my error logs from the OG. Now here's my question: how long should i wait before taking the exam again? I was thinking 4-6 weeks. And, should I use any other books? I've been reading that people recommend the GMAT club tests, which I think I will purchase.

My general plan is to:
1) Redo the OG12 problems. Reanalyze my weak points and follow up with my Manhattan GMAT materials.
Good plan, however you may want to save these a few weeks before the test. I think a good action plan would be to use MGMAT to build up your quant ability, then use OG 12 to re accustom yourself to GMAT problems.
2) Do the GMAT club exams.
I would recommend doing GMAT club tests to boost your quant score. I used them yesterday and found them very helpful for building a solid foundation.
3) Retake the remaining Manhattan CATs (I think I have 4 left).
Many people say MGMAT cats have harder quant, so if you can do well in these consistently for a few more practice tests, you will definitely achieve the score you are looking for!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also consider other books like Kaplan 800, Veritas, or Jeff Sackmann.

Sincerely,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 16:06
herserendipity wrote:
Thanks Shaselai. The only thing I did well (in my opinion) was timing. I ended up on the last problem (of both sections) with about 2-2.5 min. A lot of the questions I'm pretty sure I've seen before in some way or another...I just couldn't synthesize them. It was extremely frustrating.

did you pressure yourself in timing or you felt you took enough time per question? mgmat books are the standard but others like kaplan, veritas etc. are welcomed as well. if you are planning to apply this year then yeah you got a very tight period 4-6 weeks. besides error logs i would work a split of 70:30 V:Q. do new problem sets, review errors and good luck!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 15:27
shaselai wrote:
herserendipity wrote:

did you pressure yourself in timing or you felt you took enough time per question? mgmat books are the standard but others like kaplan, veritas etc. are welcomed as well. if you are planning to apply this year then yeah you got a very tight period 4-6 weeks. besides error logs i would work a split of 70:30 V:Q. do new problem sets, review errors and good luck!

I think I did pressure myself a little bit in the timing. Thanks for the advice!
Re: Retaking GMAT (sorry for the length)   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2010, 15:27