Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 12:07
Hello,

my name is Sebastian and I took the GMAT the first time on March 16th and scored 560 (Q36, V31). I considered to retake the GMAT within 4 weeks (see my old post http://gmatclub.com/forum/590-q36-v31-should-i-retake-the-gmat-within-1-mounth-129184.html), but one week before the test date I rescheduled the test (new date is August 31st), because I saw no improvement on practice tests and also changed my plans regarding the M.Sc. program.

Well, now more than three months after my first attempt I finished to work on my fundamentals in quant by working through the MGMAT Guides (started in April with number properties and sentence correction and after rescheduling went on with guide 2, 3, 4, ...). I did all the recommended questions of the OG12 and the statistics on these questions show an accuracy of 74% in PS and 60% in DS (I already reviewed the wrong questions).

I started with MGMAT Guide 6 in order to shape also my verbal skills but I would like to know if I actually improve my quant skills, but is it the right moment to take a practice test? And which test would you recommend (I have access to Kaplan, MGMAT and to the original ones)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards

Sebastian
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 01:47
Do anyone have any recommendations regarding wether the Kaplan or MGMAT practice Test is better for evaluating my quant skills?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 19:31
rocketscience wrote:
Do anyone have any recommendations regarding wether the Kaplan or MGMAT practice Test is better for evaluating my quant skills?

Both are very reliable measures of both Quant and Verbal ability. The most reliable test you can take is the GMAT Prep test provided by GMAC (the creators of the GMAT). They are free and you can find them at www.mba.com. I would recommend that you have more than just the GMAT Prep test though, b/c there are only two of them. I'd recommend taking many more than 2 tests....

GOod luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 12:03
Hello GMATLA,

Thanks for your reply! Currently I am struggling with the DS Section in quant. I think I have a major problem with rephrasing the question seem correctly. Do you have any recommendations how to work on that problem?

Thx!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:16
Ditto what GMATLA said. The debriefs from those who scored high frequently included taking multiple practice exams. Not only do they help you get into habit of taking long exams (mimic real test conditions and do them back to back with only short break in between), but they help identify areas that you need to work more on.

So short answer... you need to take them immediately :)
Re: Retaking GMAT, When Should I take the First Practice Test?   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2012, 19:16