Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 09:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everybody,

I took GMAT and scored miserable 660 :( i am really considering re-taking it , yet
have no idea when, from where to start and what to change.
no idea what else i can do to see magic 7. :((

It seems i tried everything :
PLS help me with your advises. i think i have tried everything in terms of study material.
All MGMAT books, LSAT, Powerscore biles LR and SC ,
OG 12 twice, verbal and math reviews... Manhattangmat tests, gmatprep , powerprep, 800 score tests , gmat club tests (and they are great) Kaplan tests....
WHAT else remains?

Can anybody help? im a non-native and my strongest weakness is Verbal.
PLZZZZZ HEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

thaaaaaaanksssssssss
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Status: -=GMAT Jedi=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 741
Location: Kochi, India
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:11
tinki wrote:
Can anybody help? im a non-native and my strongest weakness is Verbal.


:)

I like the way you put it - strongest weakness!!!

At this point, the first thing to do is to take inventory of your current position. I would do that by comparing the Manhattan Scores with the actual GMAT score. Was your GMAT score higher than, lower than or equal to the most recent Manhattan CAT!?

If they are not in line with each other, try and think of possible reasons to explain the disparity between the two scores.

You've covered a lot of material but how much have you learned from them? Go through this article:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

At the end, there are links to 6 articles explaining how to analyze a practice problem properly!

You must make it a point to learn as much as you can from each problem that you do.

The process explained in the article may take time. But remember - you have to slow down now so that you can speed up later ;)

_________________

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:23
Entwistle wrote:
tinki wrote:
Can anybody help? im a non-native and my strongest weakness is Verbal.


:)

I like the way you put it - strongest weakness!!!

At this point, the first thing to do is to take inventory of your current position. I would do that by comparing the Manhattan Scores with the actual GMAT score. Was your GMAT score higher than, lower than or equal to the most recent Manhattan CAT!?

If they are not in line with each other, try and think of possible reasons to explain the disparity between the two scores.

You've covered a lot of material but how much have you learned from them? Go through this article:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

At the end, there are links to 6 articles explaining how to analyze a practice problem properly!

You must make it a point to learn as much as you can from each problem that you do.

The process explained in the article may take time. But remember - you have to slow down now so that you can speed up later ;)


Hello there, thx a lot for your response. i see you retook Gmat and improved the score with magic 7. May i kindly ask what did you do ? what made the difference in your 2nd round ? what made your score improve?

thxxxxx :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 201
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 473 [1] , given: 70

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
I am also a non-native english speaker and struggled with verbal. After I studied RC and CR, I did my first MGMAT CAT and had a disappointing 30. After one month, I can now score a 40. Here is what I did:

Sentence Correction: I used MGMAT book and then started doing exercises (PM me if you want some). I improved from a 50% efficiency to 90% efficiency in 10-15 days. In this period, I did something close to 200 questions, always timing myself. For a 40+ score, you need to try to solve each SC question in 1 minute.

Critical Reasoning: I used powerscore and made some notes. You can use wiphlash guide (in CR forum), it is very good and can help you a lot. Another tip is to focus on doing questions, but I think doing a lot of questions doesn't help as much in CR as it does in other subjects.

Reading Comprehension: This is cumulative. RC99 is a very good option as it is cheap and the way to improve in RC is to read, read, read and answer questions.

Always keep error logs! This helps a lot. Good luck!!

If you liked this, kudos me! :D
Director
Director
avatar
Status: -=GMAT Jedi=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 741
Location: Kochi, India
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:27
tinki wrote:
Hello there, thx a lot for your response. i see you retook Gmat and improved the score with magic 7. May i kindly ask what did you do ? what made the difference in your 2nd round ? what made your score improve?

thxxxxx :)


You can read the Part III of my de-brief :)

650-to-710-in-60-days-d-109946.html

_________________

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 10:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy JJ2014 4 08 May 2013, 10:17
retake strategy/advice needed jmuduke08 2 06 Aug 2012, 17:29
Need help with retake strategy akhileshgupta05 4 22 Aug 2011, 20:25
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Retake Strategy - Need Advice wms815 1 22 Apr 2011, 14:45
Desperately in need of some advice boysangur 12 23 Sep 2010, 22:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Retaking strategies : NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY ! PLZ HELP

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.