Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:13

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking test - need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Retaking test - need some advice [#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 11:19
Hello!

I joined GMATClub today, and am wondering why I didn't find it earlier!

I took the GMAT (1st attempt) April 29th 2006, and scored a 660 (V42, Q39). Don't know AWA yet, because I have not received my official score.

I am a little disappointed with the whole ordeal, not because I feel I deserved a higher score, but because I wish I knew what I could have done, to get a score of 700+. I am bright, and although math is not my forte, I feel that GMAT math is conquerable!

Hence, I have decided to re-take the test, but have not yet registered.

My preparation materials for first round were:
1) Princeton Review 2005
2) Official Guide 10th Ed. (didn't really do all the problems here -- I didn't know that the harder questions were near the end of each section, and unfortunately focused only on the first 1/3 to 1/2 of each section)
3) 800Score.com

Timewise, I have been studying on and off since Aug of last year, but there were serveral 1-2 month-long breaks within that time due to work committments -- I have to travel a lot for my job, and during business trips, my work days are easily 12-15 hours long :-(

Obviously, I have a LOT of work to do on the Quant, but am at a loss as to what I can do to get the best bang for my time, and my money. Also, I don't want to ignore verbal, because there is always a chance it will go down!

I work full time (so I have a time crunch) and also feel very guilty spending $1500+ on things like Kaplan, or Princeton Review, when I could probably have studied on my own, and assimilated the same information.

I have gone through the materials on this site (which is awesome BTW) and I have narrowed down to these additional resources:
a) "GMAX" - because of the flexibility of online, and the price.
b) The "challenges" seem like good practice.
c) Finally, I read on a post on this site, that "deltacourse" is a good math prep program.

My questions to you are the following:
1) Should I invest in more materials? Was my problem that I didn't focus enough, and do enough preparation with the materials I already had?
2) If I should invest in more materials, which of the 3 materials above, should I invest in? I feel I am weak in Math - so that's a start. However, I have not seen any reviews of "deltacourse" on this site, just a recommendation -- any ideas on this?
3) On average, how long should you wait before retaking the test (I say this from a perspective to eliminate burn out, and also have enough time to re-prepare)
4) Can anyone share their studying plan/ schedule. I actually drew up a great schedule in Jan spanning 4 months, but I found myself unable to stick to it, either because of major work pressure (lots of travel, many late nights, etc... ), or because of burnout (brain just didn't function some nights -- was better to get sleep than torture myself)

I am very committed, and now, I need to prove/show it to myself by focusing, working hard, and getting a score that I want (700+) -- if anyone could help me with my 4 questions -- would really appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Sangita
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 12:55
I am interested in seeing what some of the posters have to say about your questions as well - I took the test in April and I am planning on taking it again in June - I think once you are in test mode you should just finish it out. Maybe take a week or two off but getting into a month or more you start to lose concentration and may have to spend more time preparing.
Intern
Intern

retaking test [#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 18:29
Hi Oasis -- good point: definitely don't want to get rusty -- infact, since I stopped studying last year, this year I had to start completely from scracth...-- I'm thinking to retake in the Juy timeframe (similar timeline to yours)

Hopefully others will reply as well with their advice!

Thanks, and good luck in June
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 19:52
Yeah I agree also.. Max 2 weeks!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 19:53
What the minimum time u have to wait b4 u can retake the GMAT?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 May 2006, 00:40
Sangita,

Your verbal score is great.
For maths you can work on the challenges on this group. They are simply amazing. And they really help get a better score.

Also if your have any material of CAT exam (India), then go through it for Inequations, coordinate geometry and word problems... These problems are diffucult than GMAT problems. But after you solve them, GMAT will be a cakewalk.

Meanwhile you should be in touch with verbal questions. So if you have already solved the questions from the material you have, and you remember many of them, then probably you should get some more new questions.

Also I think 30-45 days with 1-2 hours of study should be enough to concur GMAT Quant.

:gl
Intern
Intern

Thank you for your comments! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 06:24
Thanks for your comments! It's nice to have such a community to help build your confidence, and also give you valuable practical tips.

Appreciate the responses.

regards,
Sangita.
Intern
Intern

Re-scheduled!! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 11:01
Hi everyone,

Well, I just dropped $250 again today, to retake my GMAT -- it is scheduled for June 24 -- I have exactly 6 weeks if I start studying on Saturday -- a couple more days if I start studying immediately.

I have read many posts on the site, and also took some of the advice of people on this board. So I'll be going through some intensive practice and then analysis of my results...

At this point (after I have already dropped the money, and knowing that it's $50 to reschedule!) I honestly hope that 6 weeks is enough time for me to do better on my Quant -- at the same time, I definitely do not intend to ignore Verbal either (even though it was the higher of my 2 scores).

I'll be purchasing some of the GMATClub Challenges as additional material, continue using the OG v.10 and doing only the last 100 questions of each section, and possibly (not sure yet) purchase the Kaplan Premier Program Book.

If anyone knows anything about the 2006 Kaplan premier book, please let me know!!

Also, many of you have been talking about the MGMAT books -- can anyone give me more of a feel as to how it compares to OG, Kaplan, and possibly 800score.com?

I look forward to your responses!

Thanks for all your support,

Best Regards,
Sangita.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

a note from Leanna [#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 12:47
Dear Sangita,
Before you purchase the challenges, decide whether you're planning to take the GMAX Online or CD course. If you take it, you will automatically be given access to the entire 25-test amazing archive of the GMAT Club's math tests. you received 640, if I remember correctly, and want 700 or more. Although there are "only" 60 points between the numbers, please realize that you are jumping from high-average to amazingly high. The percentiles are the key. You should plan on studying for at least 2 hours per day for the entire 6 weeks you have, and truly devoting yourself to each type of new question you can find. Also, don't forget the many points available from excellent sentence correction answers. Unless you are in the 90th percentile in the verbal section, you have a lot of points for the taking. Just learn the material properly, without taking short-cuts. The test is a test of knowledge, not of guesses. Whatever effort you put into it will be repaid a thousand times over, during your entire career. The better the grade, the better the school. The better the school, the better the job. Simple.
The best of luck.
Leanna
Director, GMAX
Intern
Intern

GMATClub challenges [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 03:00
Hi Leanna,

Thank you for your response -- I didn't know that buying the GMAXX online course also gave you the challenges.. thanks for this information.

I have a further question though --- If I buy any remaining licences from others on this forum, do I still have access to all the challenges?

I actually received a 660. My verbal was 96 percentile (42)... so while I do want to focus some on verbal, I do not want it to be my primary focus. My math score was 39. I'd like to get it up above a 45 if possible.

Thanks again for the reminder for diligent study -- I firmly believe that is what will make or break me. I made a calendar for myself yesterday, and Am starting full speed ahead today!

I appreciate your feedback, and also, please let me know about challenge access if I buy licences from others on this forum.

Thanks!
Sangita.
GMATClub challenges   [#permalink] 12 May 2006, 03:00