Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking the GMAT after admit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Retaking the GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 11:01
I was recently admitted to business school, with a 720 gmat (48Q 41V). After hearing that top consulting firms care about GMAT scores even after admittance, I've considered retaking the exam.

I was getting consistent 750s/760s with my practice tests, but sentence correction killed me in the actual tests. Anyone have any words of advice on retaking? I'm pretty confident a couple weeks of focused studying should get me in the mid 700s.

Thanks!

Edit: Realized that there is already a "should I retake the gmat" thread. Could a mod move my post there?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 596 [1] , given: 114

Re: Retaking the GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
Well this isn't a question that anyone can really answer for you. If you're already accepted then obviously you'd only be taken the GMAT for recruiting purposes. Generally, if you have a 700+ you will reach the threshhold for any consulting companies. I've read this numerous times and heard it from numerous sources. The only companies requiring 99% would be test prep companies. With a 720, and a 94% under your belt, I do not think that this will keep you from getting interviews. Ultimately, a high enough GMAT score and other credentials will just get you the interview. Then it's your job to close the deal. A 770 ins't going to get you the job you know? You're time might be better spent preparing for recruiting, networking with consultants, doing case interview prep, and pursuing other things that will set you up for good internships and good knowledge. I know once you're done with the GMAT it always feels like you left something on the table, but at this point you have to ask yourself if it is truly worth the retake?

PS there is no retaking the gmat forum, but I've moved your post to a different area of the site.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 11

Re: Retaking the GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
I agree, 700 might be close but a 720 should be comfortably above the threshold for first round interviews.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Retaking the GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 13:19
Yes, this would be for recruiting. As I have a few months left before school begins, I figured this was something relatively straightforward I could do to improve my interview prospects.

I had read that low 700s was good, but mid 700s was ideal, no questions asked, when it came to the top consulting firms.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Retaking the GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 15:18
I would recommend spending the extra time working on your case interview technique if I were in your shoes if you are not familiar with them. MBB offers quite a few round 1 invites at target schools but the offers fall exponentially for round 2/3 which are based on case interviews.

If thats not going to be an issue and you have time go for it! Why not.
Re: Retaking the GMAT after admit   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 15:18