Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retaking the GMAT in less than 30 days?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden Class of 2011, Tuck, Duke, McCombs, HBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Retaking the GMAT in less than 30 days? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 14:56
So I took the GMAT today and canceled my scores. I really need to retake the exam within 30 days because it's getting close to when i'd need to apply to b-school. I think the reason for my cancellation is valid:

In my Manhattan Review book, it said you can access your locker during breaks and recommended bringing a snack and something to drink. Before my exam, i was obviously nervous so i wasn't hungry. I bought two protein bars with the plan of eating them during my breaks.

After my essays, i was told I couldn't access my locker to get my snack. I get low blood sugar (my dad has diabetes) and when I don't eat, I get really light headed and start to shake. I finished the math portion even though I started to get really light headed towards the end. When I took my 2nd break (before verbal), i downed water with hopes that it would quench my hunger. it didn't. halfway through the verbal, i started to get so lightheaded that i was worried i was going to faint. I decided to choose A as my answer on the next 20 questions and cancel my scores because i couldn't even read the questions on the screen.

I'm going to call GMAC on monday and ask if i can take the exam within the next 30 days (and ideally next week). does anyone have any experience with this? do you think they will allow this? anyone have any suggestions about what to say?

Thanks,
(an obviously very disappointed) Matt
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 15:27
I can feel your pain. I have a similar sugar problem as you do. Only mine has nothing to do with family history. I was assaulted in 2002 and the guy smashed my head to the wall twice. The wall cracked into a big hole and fortunately I didn't have severe brain injury, otherwise I won't be here and taking the GMAT. However, the impact did damage my pituitary gland, hence comes the sugar problem. My situation was a little different than yours. I did bring snack and I can access my locker; however, I forgot to bring my medication with me. So after about maybe half or less than half way to the verbal section, I passed out. I woke up in the ambulance (they gave me glucose shot). I didn't even get to the part ask you to report or cancel the score. But I think the default is report the score. I did find out I got 640 though; however, I am in the process to contact GMAC and ask them to cancel my score. I think I can do way better than that. I even got 770 on my GMAT prep practice exam. I don't know if they will let me cancel it. I am not sure if they will let your schedule it in less than 30 days though since within 30 days, their question database will not change (I don't know for sure, but I think this should be the reason).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden Class of 2011, Tuck, Duke, McCombs, HBS

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 15:43
sorry to hear about your assault -- that really is awful.

after doing more research, i found out that i am, in fact, allowed in to my locker during breaks. so the woman was wrong it telling me i wasn't allowed. however, after reading that under no circumstances will someone be allowed to retake a test within 30 days, i'm pretty doubtful they'll let me, but i'm going to try.

let's both keep each other posted b/c it seems that we had similar unfortunate circumstances. good luck.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 20:55
Wow, I can't believe the test center employee was that clueless about it! If you can take it at a different center, I would. If not, bring a printout of the rules so you can show them!!!

You can only take it once in a calendar month, I thought. Or is it a rolling 30 days?
  [#permalink] 10 Nov 2007, 20:55