Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 09:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:06) correct 33% (01:10) wrong based on 159 sessions
Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school and schoolwork won’t work. Take the program in West Virginia, for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses of kids who left school. The program failed miserably.

Anne: It’s true that the West Virginia program failed, but many schools have devised incentive programs that have been very successful in improving attendance and reducing discipline problems.

According to Anne, the weak point in Reva’s claim is that it

(A) fails to consider the possibility that the majority of potential dropouts in West Virginia do not have driving licenses
(B) doesn’t provide any exact figures for the dropout rate in West Virginia before and during the program
(C) ignores a substantial body of evidence showing that parents and employers have been using extrinsic incentives with positive results for years
(D) assumes that a positive incentive—a prize or a reward—will be no more effective than a negative incentive, like the revoking of a driving license
(E) is based on a single example, the incentive program in West Virginia, which may not be typical
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 03:19
My answer is E.

Ritesh, D is wrong. Let us consider the argument.

Reva's argument can be summed up as follows - she dismisses a methodology (Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school ), and backs it up with an example.

Anne on the other hand, admits that the example is true, but says that there are many instances where the methodology has worked successfully.

She weaken's Reva's argument, by implying that Reva's argument is based on a single example which may not be typical. Thus E

Besides D makes an invalid assumption. None of the two assume a positive incentive.

Hope this helps
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 05:43
I will go with D.

Reva says extraneous incentives - a negative incentive like revoking school dropout kid's driving licenses is not effective.
Anne counters this by saying extraneous incentives have improved attendance, which means that the extraneous incentives were positive ones
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 08:40
Picked E.

D - Reva's argument does not assume that positive incentives are more effective, it just states an example bases on negative incentive being ineffective.

HMTG.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 07:29
Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school and schoolwork won’t work. Take the program in West Virginia, for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses of kids who left school. The program failed miserably.

Anne: It’s true that the West Virginia program failed, but many schools have devised incentive programs that have been very successful in improving attendance and reducing discipline problems.

(A) fails to consider the possibility that the majority of potential dropouts in West Virginia do not have driving licenses
(B) doesn’t provide any exact figures for the dropout rate in West Virginia before and during the program
(C) ignores a substantial body of evidence showing that parents and employers have been using extrinsic incentives with positive results for years
(D) assumes that a positive incentive—a prize or a reward—will be no more effective than a negative incentive, like the revoking of a driving license
(E) is based on a single example, the incentive program in West Virginia, which may not be typical
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 09:51
Bhai wrote:
What is wrong with D?

Good question ! I actually picked D myself ! The only reason I can think of why E is better than D, is only because of the direct mention of the west virginia incentive program. D on the other hand, attempts to generalise the argument made by Reva, making it seem like Reva made the conclusion/assumption based on the observations made across several instances, when it actually only involved only one institute. Someone might have a better idea...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 11:25
E

D can be easily rejected because, it is out of scope of the passage to assume good incentive and bad incentive

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I always find myself taking longer and performing poorly in [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:10
I always find myself taking longer and performing poorly in these type of CR's. Can anyone offer any advise as to how I may improve in such questions.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: extraneous incentives [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
I choose E.

x97agarwal wrote:
I always find myself taking longer and performing poorly in these type of CR's. Can anyone offer any advise as to how I may improve in such questions.

(A) fails to consider the possibility that the majority of potential dropouts in West Virginia do not have driving licenses -> this is too specific and is not conveyed by anne's response.anne looks at reva's
argument much more than perspective of a driving licence. -> eliminate

(B) doesn’t provide any exact figures for the dropout rate in West Virginia before and during the program -> drop out rates hardly matter and drop out rates is not the point in the argument,point is that the deviced incentive program meant to change teenargers attitude failed -> eliminate
(C) ignores a substantial body of evidence showing that parents and employers have been using extrinsic incentives with positive results for years -> out of scope ,it does not matter to anne what parents think
(D) assumes that a positive incentive—a prize or a reward—will be no more effective than a negative incentive, like the revoking of a driving license -> this is quite close but here REVA does not talk about any positive approach neither does she refute any such .So this does not fully support..
(E) is based on a single example, the incentive program in West Virginia, which may not be typical-> this is apt here since it relates to the given context.Reva takes a simple example to prove the point that devised incentive program never work but anne refutes her and says [color=#FF00FF]but many schools have devised incentive programs that have been very successful this statement itself proves that anne supports her argument over that of REVA with other examples which are opposite to REVA's.> [/color]correct

Funda in solving CR is just READ READ and READ. :) actually if we read properly the argument answer is just hidden in the argument.I usually follow pOE ,it sort of works.one should eliminate extreme choices.They are never correct.Also dont use ur own brains anywhere .This i learnt.We need to think in a way author thinks any other info other than the one conveyed by author and is related to argument might lead to mistakes and false assumptions and wrong answer. :( I still end up doing mistakes :( anyways just post in the OA for this

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 02:39
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 03:48
prinits wrote:

Good question.

A, B, C - Out of scope
D - wrong comparison

E
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 04:26
I'll vote for E.

This argument is a typical example of scope shift. Reva is just talking about "West Virginia", whereas Anne is talking about "many schools". So basically Anne mean to say that a single example is not sufficient to reach the conclusion, hence E.

D is out: The details used in Reva's example, i.e. "for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses...." is not challenged by Anne's argument. Anne has never said that whether the +ve or -ve incentive will work.

Option A, B and C are not relevant.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 12:17
To me both D and E sound right......
D is logically right.
E is right taking the information purely from the argument.
OMG I am not sure what I would on test day if such questions with 2 possible answers appear....I will try out my luck and pick D.

Please post the OA???
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 16:07
prinits wrote:

I would go for E over D as well.

I know the word incentive often has a positive connotation, but if the case brought up by Reva in her argument is also an example of an "incentive program", then we can assume negative "incentives" also count.

Anne never stated whether the other incentive programs she mentioned were "positive" or "negative", so D is outside the scope of the original info.

That leaves us with (E) as a better description of Anne's argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 00:06
i just googled the question and found out the OA to be E.

i think When anna says " Its true that program in virginia failed " leads us to more to E than D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 11:01
E is better than D becoz anna didnt talk about positive or negative incentives.

She simply accepted that one programme might have failed, but MANY have been successful ...... without going into the details of what the incentives were.

That is why, E is better
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky CR [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 11:03
Guys please use the Spoiler tag and post the OA along with the question, at least for Verbal questions.

I'm leaning towards D but the correct answer is E. Anne clearly points out ' while the program in WV failed .. '

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:35
9. Reva: Using extraneous incentives to get teenagers to change their attitude toward school and schoolwork won’t work. Take the program in West Virginia, for instance, where they tried to reduce their dropout rate by revoking the driving licenses of kids who left school. The program failed miserably.

I'll post the OA by today EOD....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surely a wrong OA....plz verify ! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:54
I think it should be E. Anne concedes that the incentives program failed in West Virgina failed, but mentions that a lot of other programs have been successful.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Surely a wrong OA....plz verify ! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 16:59
I agree with E as well. The only one that makes sense. D is too far fetched, since Anne does not mention anything about a positive/negative influence.
Re: Surely a wrong OA....plz verify !   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2009, 16:59