Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(Reverse) Alum reach out post admit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

(Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:07
I have got an admit at a top school. So now, alums have started reaching out to me in order to take questions and extend help.
But the first question they invariably ask - have you made a decision?

I absolutely love the school's program, and there are very high chances that I will attend.
However, I am still waiting for couple of results and considering my options (schol etc.)

So, what is the best way to handle this? I do not want to lie, but at the same time I don't want their interest to vanish by divulging them my options.

The chase begins ...

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 8

Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
Well, the obvious answer is "no, I didn't make a decision yet" :)

I see no problem in this, everyone knows how it works and those who are reaching you out now in most cases faced the same situation at some point.

You could use the situation to ask some additional questions about the school, which could help you to make a choice. Imagine that you are accepted by all schools left on your list - do you have any additional factors to consider before deciding? I mean, not those you usually investigate when making a short list of schools to apply, but more "down to earth" ones. Weather, places to go, big cities nearby - all this stuff, you've got to live there for two years!
Manager
Manager

Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 00:47
Kjar wrote:
Well, the obvious answer is "no, I didn't make a decision yet" :)

I see no problem in this, everyone knows how it works and those who are reaching you out now in most cases faced the same situation at some point.

You could use the situation to ask some additional questions about the school, which could help you to make a choice. Imagine that you are accepted by all schools left on your list - do you have any additional factors to consider before deciding? I mean, not those you usually investigate when making a short list of schools to apply, but more "down to earth" ones. Weather, places to go, big cities nearby - all this stuff, you've got to live there for two years!

Fair point on ' down to earth' questions. I was wondering over how candid the conversation could be at this point. Discussing negatives, placement reports ?

However, I don't think ' everyone knows how it works' shall be a factor/reason while framing a response. Case in point, adcom knows that every school you apply can't be your top choice. Nonetheless, every app one writes, she writes as if she were born to be at that school.

The chase begins ...

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
Adcom is different from alums. Alums were in your shoes x numbers of years ago. While they'd like you to attend their alma mater, they also want you to find the best school for you. Depending on how your conversation goes, you could ask what schools they were deciding among. If it's the same set of schools you're considering, they could talk you through how they made their decision.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 20:38
Alums were likely in the same shoes as you, perhaps even considering the same schools. I would say be candid with them and perhaps ask them about what they considered when they made their decisions.
Manager
Manager

Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 20:54
Okay. I think I was more conservative in my conversation than needed. I understand that I can now loosen up a bit and be more candid.
Thank you all.

The chase begins ...

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 19:44
dreamchase wrote:
Okay. I think I was more conservative in my conversation than needed. I understand that I can now loosen up a bit and be more candid.
Thank you all.

Be as candid as you are comfortable being. Not everyone has the same tolerance for sharing this type of information, and not all alums will be as receptive to it as we think most will be. You could probably start small and based on their reactions gradually share more. Just a thought.

Good luck ;)
Re: (Reverse) Alum reach out post admit   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2013, 19:44