Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 13 [4] , given: 55

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:35
This post received
KUDOS
Today, I attended the MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction. http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prepa ... ne-day.cfm

Here are few of my thoughts on the workshop and I hope these will be helpful.

What is Included in the workshop?

> 2 hours of Live Online Instruction
> Homework Bank of Difficult Sentence Correction Questions (22 Total) with Answer Explanations
> 6 Full Length CAT Exams (for students not enrolled in full courses)
> Headset (For US Students who register 7 business days prior the workshop)

Is This Workshop Right For Me?

Before deciding to go for this workshop there were thousands questions in my mind such as should I go for it or not, will it be helpful or not, or should I go for Advanced Quant workshop etc. With lots of debate with my own-self, I decided to go ahead with Sentence Correction workshop as Sentence Correction is the only topic on GMAT verbal where one can save time with proper strategy.

This Workshop's purpose is to familiarize students with the recognition skills tested in difficult Sentence Correction problems on the GMAT. As a result, students at all ability levels can benefit from the class. (excerpt from MGMAT site)

If you have covered MGAMT sentence correction book twice and still not confident about solving the questions, I will suggest you to give this workshop a try. This workshop will definitely help you to find out where you are lacking and what to look into the sentences while finding the errors. I'll say once again that before attending this workshop you must finish MGMAT sentence correction book at least once.

Manhattan GMAT's Advanced Sentence Correction Workshop teaches students of all ability levels a unique, disciplined approach to mastering Sentence Correction on the GMAT. This approach involves stripping out the inessential elements of the GMAT sentence and finding the sentence "core" in order to identify the grammatical principles at stake. (excerpt from MGMAT site)

Now, after attending the workshop I can second all these words. The main focus of the workshop was how to dissect the sentences effectively and reach at the core of the sentences. After reaching the core of the sentence, one can find grammatical errors and structural errors in the sentences properly and with no difficulty.

Inside the Workshop

There is no doubt that MGMAT knows what is best for students. My teachers for the workshop were Shoba Narayana and Chris Gentry. Instructor John Tracey was also there to help technical or course related issues. All of them were not only supportive but also excellent at what they were teaching/doing. They explained more than one way to approach a question. They made me to think and instilled a different but helpful perspective in my mind to approach sentence correction questions. Instructors made me to think about the 'core' of the sentence. I have never gone so much deeper in the sentence as instructors made me to. Even the 6-7 lines long sentences were boiled down to 6-7 'core' words. It was interesting to know that we can remove so much of extra stuff from the sentences.

Though it was booked for 2 hours, class lasted for around 3 hours! We discussed around 10 questions in the workshop, dissecting each question and coming to the 'core' of the sentence. I found the online classroom easy to use and navigate. Moreover, the environment of the class was cool, instructors made everyone to participate. There were only 7 students attending the workshop, so it was easy for instructors also to give attention to every question asked by students. We almost touched all the topics tested on the Sentence Correction such as S-V, parallelism, idioms, compassion conjunction, punctuation, modifiers etc. Questions were definitely challenging but when those questions were dissected and 'core' meaning was reached, after removing extra stuff, questions become easy. The class also weighted towards split and re split strategy, which comes in handy at difficult questions.

At the end of the workshop, I was enriched with the right thought process to tackle the difficult problems. Go for this workshop if you really want to know how to tackle difficult problems with fewer headaches! By the way, only score will tell how much it was effective. :)

Quality of Study Material on the Workshop

Do I really need to answer this question or speak on it? I guess everyone knows MGMAT is the best and if one has any doubt look at the MGMAT guides or attend a free class with MGMAT! There is not doubt that MGMAT comes next to official guides.

Is the cost justifiable?

I know many will think $245 is a huge amount for one workshop but if we consider the costs of all the services/products it offers along with it, I think it is justifiable. Workshop includes 6 CATs priced $75 and homework bank of difficult Sentence Correction questions priced around $25 on MGMAT Store. If I assume cost of headset around $20 then you get $120 back in these awesome goodies!! Also, when MGMAT is paying $100/hour to it's instructors, the remaining cost ($125) is the lowest price in the market for 3hours with two MGMAT geniuses! Considering all the above facts, I think the cost ($245) of the workshop is reasonable.

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 503

Kudos [?]: 1597 [1] , given: 624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 63

Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 22:46
Kinda pricey if the workshop worked for you that's good to hear. Do you get access to the recordings or they don't provide that?
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 55

Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 01:10
nelz007 wrote:
Kinda pricey if the workshop worked for you that's good to hear. Do you get access to the recordings or they don't provide that?

Yes, one can watch it later on if one wants. If you are MGMAT student, you can go for it for $95.

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 09:52
willigetmylifeback wrote:
nelz007 wrote:

Yes, one can watch it later on if one wants. If you are MGMAT student, you can go for it for $95.

Do you have to be a MGMAT full Course student to qualify for this.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 55

Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 22:03
AbhiJ wrote:
Do you have to be a MGMAT full Course student to qualify for this.

I believe yes. MGMAT site says -- If you are a current or former student of a Manhattan GMAT Complete Course, you are eligible to take the class for $95.

Please email at studentservices@manhattangmat.com to know more.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:48
Has anyone taken the MGMAT SC Advanced Workshop recently? Is the workshop helpful or would it be more wise to spend my time watching Thursday with Ron videos?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 09:51
Hi,

I will be retaking the GMAT in a few month's time (did not get my desired quant score the last time i took it). As far my verbal prep was concerned i relied on MGMAT material coupled with a few Ron videos and the E-GMAT SC Course. For the second time i will be doing the MGMAT SC guide coupled with ALL of the RON videos. I will then take a few CAT's (GMAC Should launch 3 more paid CAT's soon) and then if I need more help in SC i would consider this as its the only one if its kind. I scored a V41 and felt that what held me from a V43-45 was my SC. Its better to try the free resources (RON Videos which are great) and see how much help you need.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Re: Review - MGMAT's workshop on Advanced Sentence Correction   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2013, 09:51