Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Review of Manhattan GMAT Instructor Josh Braslow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Review of Manhattan GMAT Instructor Josh Braslow [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
Today is my last MGMAT class. Good course, and instructor Josh Braslow was excellent. He has 8 years of GMAT teaching experience and very well versed in all GMAT subject matter. He is also very good at keeping everyone in the class engaged. There are 9 class sessions, 9 online lab classes. One thing I liked was the ability to watch recorded sessions of any classes you miss. You also get a weekly 30 min session of free phone tutoring. The recordings are from the online class, and the material is pretty much the same. If anyone is considering the online class, I would also recommend it. I live an hour from the MGMAT center, and if I were to do it again, I would consider taking the online one.
I took a Princeton Review practice test last year and got a 550 without ever looking at a gmat question or having an idea of what was on the test. My first MGMAT score was 610. Second was 650, and third 680. I'm doing really bad on the quant. I got a 61%/96% on my last test. My test is scheduled 3 days from now. Wish me luck!
Anyone with questions about the course, instructor or books, please feel free to ask.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
crolph1907, I am taking MGMAT's on-line course right now. The instructors are great, however, I didn't find 30-minute tutoring very helpful. I bet it depends on the tutor though. :)

I feel like we are in the same boat in regards to math scores. My verbal percentage is in high 80s, while my math is about 60%. Good luck with your test tomorrow! Please do let us know how you did on the actual GMAT test, OK?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
I will agree with you, I called for the tutoring twice, and the guy wasn't very helpful. Sounded like he couldn't wait to get off the phone. If you do have certain problems that you need extra help on it can prove useful.

Anyways, I just got out of the exam. I got a 650: 62% on the math, and 88% on the verbal. You really have to have a high comprehension of the math material in order to get to the 700 level questions.

Since my app deadlines are 3/1, I really didn't have the time to study as much as I would have liked.
But here's a couple of suggestions based on my experiences with regards to the math section:

1) Take the time to read each question carefully. During practice, I got a lot of questions wrong simply because I didn't read carefully. For example, I might have solved for X, and answered X, when they were really looking for 1-X.

2) Do not randomly guess! Try to eliminate at least one answer choice and as many as possible. This was something that was really hard for me to break out of during my practice, and that I still didn't do when I took the test.

3) Approach each question systematically. In data sufficiency, rephrase the question, then rephrase the two statements. Try to think of everything conceptually when you can, and write out equations. Try not to do things in your head when you have time. Writing things out will help reduce mistakes.

4) Try to make the best use of your time. No sense in rushing through the test. One problem I had was the fear of not having enough time to finish the test. I had a bad habit of doing the first half of the section very quickly, and while I could have answered more difficult questions, I didn't get the opportunity to since I didn't do that well in the first half.

5) I also couldn't sleep the night before the test, and took the test on 5 hours.I would suggest you get plenty of sleep the night before. Also, bring something to eat with you and keep it in the locker. I only at a bagel before I left the house, and I got hungry during the end of the verbal.

I think the most important point in this rant is to try to do the math systematically, and avoid doing things in your head when you have time.

Please ask any questions you might have. I'm going to repost this in another section of the forum so more people can read it. I would be happy to share my experiences and help anyone else get a better score!

(The testing center was an hour from home)
nervousgmat wrote:
crolph1907, I am taking MGMAT's on-line course right now. The instructors are great, however, I didn't find 30-minute tutoring very helpful. I bet it depends on the tutor though. :)

I feel like we are in the same boat in regards to math scores. My verbal percentage is in high 80s, while my math is about 60%. Good luck with your test tomorrow! Please do let us know how you did on the actual GMAT test, OK?

nervousgmat wrote:

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you very much for your advice on how to better tackle math. I would like to add another one on time management in quant section.

I've noticed that I if don't know how to solve a problem in the first 20-30 seconds, it is highly unlikely that I will be able to finish it in 2 minutes, even if I figure out how to approach the problem after a 30 second period. Therefore, I have a much better chance of getting a problem right if I start to strategically guess instead.

I believe if this strategy works for me, it has to work for a few other people. What do you say, guys? Have you noticed the same trend?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [1] , given: 781

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
thanks for the post. I am sure it will help others.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Horacio, another great ManhattanGMAT teacher [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
I just finished my virtual course with ManhattanGMAT. One of our teachers was Horacio, a guy from Argentina. My native language is also Spanish, so his insights on the verbal part were great. And he knows his GMAT math upside down. He is very good at explaining things in everyday language. He also writes math problems.

Overall, my ManhattanGMAT experience was great. Great course, great material, great instructors. Definitely worth the extra money.
Horacio, another great ManhattanGMAT teacher   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2007, 21:50