Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 81

Kudos [?]: 454 [5] , given: 423

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 18:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Basic Description:
Manhattan’s Challenge archive contains over 250 very difficult math problems, along with answers and detailed explanations. For $29.00, customers gain online access to these questions for one year. The archive does not overlap with any other Manhattan math problems. In terms of difficulty, many Challenge problems rank in the 750-plus range. Perhaps just as many questions surpass anything found on the GMAT. For further information, please visit the Manhattan GMAT store.

Pros:
1. Price - Overall, the price is reasonable for the number of questions. While access is limited to one year, that's still plenty of time.
2. Updates - New math problems are added to the question bank and past questions are occasionally updated.
3. Explanations - Though the questions are extremely difficult, the explanations do a decent job. They can be rather lengthy, though.
4. Online Practice - Reviewing questions online provides an opportunity to grow accustomed to seeing problems on a computer screen.

Cons:
1. Out of scope – Many questions go way beyond anything that you will encounter on the actual test. Some problems are downright convoluted and stray too far from the GMAT. The style also feels slightly off at times.
2. Intended Audience – Unless you are performing well above the 90th percentile in quant, then these questions are definitely not recommended for regular use.

Overall Assessment:
For upper-level performers, the occasional Manhattan Challenge question might be helpful. Some may further argue that reinforcing concepts this way truly tests one’s math skills to the max. However, taken as a whole, the Challenge Archive is excessive and will not benefit most people. And even if you are exceptional in quant, many questions are not representative of the actual test at all. If you’re interested in effective hardcore practice, then the GMATClub Tests and Jeff Sackmann’s Extreme Challenge set are more suitable options.

However, if you still want to incorporate these into your studies, make sure to read the linked discussions below. Also, there are a few Challenges already available on the math forum. Just make sure that you're ready! :wink:

Additional Discussions:
did-anyone-do-the-mgmat-challenge-problem-archive-79026.html

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/fee ... 10339.html

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/man ... -t510.html
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1990

Kudos [?]: 6438 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 19:50
Expert's post
Thank you very much bmillan!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 19:53
Thanks! I remember buying these challenge sets long ago and I came away impressed.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 423

Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 20:35
Expert's post
You're both very welcome! I hope the review didn't come off as too negative. The Challenge Archive is by no means bad. But for me, the other two options mentioned were better.

And thank you for your input, Praetorian! I was also impressed with these questions, but perhaps for different reasons. It clearly took a great deal of math skills and imagination to develop these problems. However, I feel that the authors got carried away on a number of them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 05:06
Thanks bmillan01 for the review. I think I will get this, as hopefully this will shake me up - I will allocate 30mins-1hr everyday on Quant and try to do 10-20 odd problems everyday. Hope this keep me awake all the time - I was brain dead in my last test :(.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 06:20
Hi Kudos,

Where can i access MGMAT all 6 CAT's, i have registered n taken 1 for free. Is der any procedure to crack all 6 CAT
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 423

Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 06:27
Expert's post
Hi, riteshv.

I believe that you can either purchase the six Manhattan tests directly from their website or you can gain free access with a purchase of any of their guidebooks. The second option is better.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 15:02
Great Review, and for once it seems an MGMAT product which isn't elite.

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 16:41
nammers wrote:
Great Review, and for once it seems an MGMAT product which isn't elite.

I don't think this was ever meant to be elite w.r.t. GMAT. Check Stacey's response in the 1st MGMAT link that bmillIan01 posted above. Some people learn by solving tougher problems for te same concepts, and that's exactly what MGMAT is offering. Thus, like other MGMAT products, this one serves its purpose perfectly as it indends to :)

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 08:54
excellent review..kudos +1.
Re: Review of MGMAT Challenge Problem Archive   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 08:54