Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Review please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Review please [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 03:48
hi guys,

i'd appreciate it if you guys could give a little feedback about my prospective chances with the following profile and also the kinda schools i should apply to considering my goals.

GMAT: 720

Education:
- B.Tech in Applied Petroleum Enggineering from the the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (A niche school catering to the energy sector, focusing on oil and gas) I was part of the very first batch graduating from the school. But i have a super shitty GPA- 2.4 (will explain later)

Work experience:
- 4 years as of July '11 in a reputed petrochemical company in india. Started out as a managment trainee, promoted to an engineer officer. I am an assistant manager right now, managing a team of 15 plus people on a daily shift duty basis. Responsible for general technical managment and running of the $120 million HDPE unit in shifts. Was part of team that undertook a capacity addition revamp of the entire plant worth $300 million. Given my track record, i will most probably be promoted to the position of a deputy manager next year. Have been preforming all the duties designated to a deputy manager since 2009 due to a sudden shortfall of experienced manpower. i can get good refrences from a senior manager and a DGM.
Also the company i work for hasnt been doing so well financially for the past couple of years, which was down to some bad choices made by the managment. Since then the Managing director has changed. i recently gave a presentation to him related to certain structural changes which can be incorporated to optimize our process as well as cut costs. some of those soulution are being implimented already. the potential saving that i proposed came out to about $5 million per annum.

Others: I grew up as a diplobrat, staying in a plathora of diff. countries such as the states, kenya, kuwait, mayanmar, germany, UAE....the list goes on. this gave me an oppertunity to meet, interact and form lasting friendships with people consisting of a diverse background.
i have minimal extracarriculars cuz of the 7 days a week workday. but i am part of the local all conquering football (soccer) team at club level. (undefeted for 4 years running)

Reason for low GPA:
My family moved from the US to india when i was in the 11th grade. the difference between the school curriculam is staggering. I had to start from the 8th grade books and build upto the 12th grade (barely survived failing 11 grade, down to some serious mugging up) that was a time when i was putting in 8 hrs study sessions daily besides school for the length of the entire school year. suffice to say it was hell. well i managed to pass with a respectable 70 percent and got into a good technical school. metally i was sapped. and i compensated by slacking off a LOT. had i known then what i know now i would have worked harder on the gpa but it took me 3 long years to realize the importance of that gpa and by then i could only pull it upto a 2.4. it does sound like an excuse, i know, but it did play a part.

reason for mba: i have a certain affinity for the company that i work for and as i already mentioned the state of the company and my efforts to help change the situation i.e the presentation i gave to the MD. i tried submitted such proposals before but met with significant resistance due to the radical nature of the said ideas and also due to the lack of strength in the leadership. i was not in a position to initiate change myself nor did i possess the bussiness acumen required to access the bussiness model of the company and suggest/implement appropriate changes. as it stands i want the knowlege that an mba would provide to attack this problem the company finds itself in and also the mba would lend the proper weight behind my word. so i can instigate change.

goals
short term: get the company outta debt
long term: reestablish the brand on an international level capable of competing regardless of the market conditions.

finally: Thank You for putting up with this horrendously long post. but i have been lost for the past couple of weeks with regard to the kind of colleges i could apply to and also if my goals would seem feasible. thank you again for the feed back.

P.S: apologies for the spelling mistakes, one of my perrinial weaknesses.

Last edited by spellbinder on 05 Jul 2011, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Review please [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 15:02
I think your story is compelling, if worded right. I'm not entirely understanding your goal here. Is your company sponsoring you for an MBA? Is that why you want to get the company out of debt post-MBA? It's strange to me that that's your goal unless the company's sponsoring. Where are you looking to go to school? What range of schools are you targeting? is it top schools or bust mentality? I'm guessing your target is to head back to India after MBA and if not, please correct me.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Review please [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 22:12
bakfed wrote:
I think your story is compelling, if worded right. I'm not entirely understanding your goal here. Is your company sponsoring you for an MBA? Is that why you want to get the company out of debt post-MBA? It's strange to me that that's your goal unless the company's sponsoring. Where are you looking to go to school? What range of schools are you targeting? is it top schools or bust mentality? I'm guessing your target is to head back to India after MBA and if not, please correct me.

First off thanks for the quick reply.
i can understand why the goal question comes up. a few weeks ago i was in the doldrums with this same problem. i had no fixed goals due to a lack of knowledge about the kind of careers i'd be looking at. I dont wanna go into i banking or MC for that matter. general managment appealed to me bacause it would more or less cover all the topics that i need to know to get a better understanding of how a bussiness works in a more wholistic sense. Also I would like to be associated with an energy company(oil and gas if you wanna be more specific), because thats where my core competence lies, i understand the workings so i would contribute more. My long term goal would be to lead such a company.
Side note:
No, the company isnt sponsering me. I joind this company right outta school when it was obscenely profitible and have seen it decline ever since due to some very bad decisions. if 10 years down the line i can say that i contributed to the turn around then ill be able to proudly say that i achieved something of note. That is a project i would definitely like to be associated with.
Also some help with refining my goals(if they sound too vague) would be greatly appreciated.

The kinda schools im looking at:
If there is one thing that i'v learned in the last 4 years is that the brand matters. it opens doors which normals would be locked under similar circumstances. So yes im looking at top tier schools but my question was what kinda schools would i have a realistic chance of getting accepted at? I have no concrete preference country wise, the school/program has to be good. And i would be comfortable working in any country, i have no preferences their either.
again thanks for the repliy,i appreciate it.
Re: Review please   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 22:12