Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Revised GRE vs. GMAT for MBA??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Revised GRE vs. GMAT for MBA?? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:02
You are not mistaken. Some of the best programs are now accepting revised GRE scores for MBA programs.

That's my blog post you linked. Thanks. For those of you too lazy to click, I decided to check out the new test (it's 50% off at the moment and that deal continues through the end of September). In my opinion the test is a lot easier than the GMAT. I managed a 770 on the GMAT in my first attempt, but I was really pressed for time and I remember making quite a few educated guessed. I finished all the Quant sections of the revised GRE with more than 10 minutes to spare, and the Verbal sections with at least 5 minutes to spare. On top of that the questions were easier, and the Verbal is no longer a ridiculously random test of your vocabulary.

If I were applying, I'd definitely pick the GRE over GMAT if it were possible.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Revised GRE vs. GMAT for MBA?? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 10:30
BenchPrepGURU wrote:
You are not mistaken. Some of the best programs are now accepting revised GRE scores for MBA programs.

That's my blog post you linked. Thanks. For those of you too lazy to click, I decided to check out the new test (it's 50% off at the moment and that deal continues through the end of September). In my opinion the test is a lot easier than the GMAT. I managed a 770 on the GMAT in my first attempt, but I was really pressed for time and I remember making quite a few educated guessed. I finished all the Quant sections of the revised GRE with more than 10 minutes to spare, and the Verbal sections with at least 5 minutes to spare. On top of that the questions were easier, and the Verbal is no longer a ridiculously random test of your vocabulary.

If I were applying, I'd definitely pick the GRE over GMAT if it were possible.

Can any senior forum members vouch this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Revised GRE vs. GMAT for MBA?? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 19:19
Seriously? I really doubt. GMAT sets one up for the MBA, which, I believe, mandates one to have good analytical skills accompanied with good critical thinking and good hold on written English to start with.

GRE does not focus on critical aspects of the test, and, moreover, focuses too much on unnecessary vocab testing. I am not denying that GRE is a good indicator of "basic" English knowledge and "basic" analytical skills. Nonetheless, for streams such as engineering, science, humanities and so-on, GRE still suffices the need.

However, GMAT, to start-with, is "meant" to be an IQ test, although it is flawed heavily and can be beaten with an average, even perhaps below average, IQ. Nonetheless, GMAT still gives MBA schools a good indicator of the level of the necessary skills needed for business administration in general.

Even if these MBA schools start accepting GRE, I will not be surprised if they are heavily biased towards GMAT. Case in point, they might "subconsciously" rate GMAT over GRE while reviewing ones application. Anyhow, that's my "philosophy"; I am sure Admin Reps know more than me :-)
Re: Revised GRE vs. GMAT for MBA??   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2011, 19:19