Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
After getting an email from GMAT Club and taking a look at their site, I used the $100 promotional code for the $249 self-guided study program. When I tried to set up my profile, it wouldn't let me onto the site because it said I was inputting the wrong Time Zone (like I don't know what my time zone is!?!?!?!). When you click the link to send them an email, their manatee mascot kept popping up, saying "Opps...We're working on it!"

Has anyone else used these guys or had issues? Is this a scam?

Its unacceptable for a company to charge my credit card in a matter of milliseconds, and then completely freeze me out of their site. Pretty weak for an internet-based company....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
I tried to access their free tests but they won't let me unless am a US student(the options only had US colleges). The registration won't finish because of this.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 286

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 03:35
Sorry to hear about your problem. I've sent a pm to the reps, and expect them to resolve this problem very soon.
Do let us know if & when this issue gets resolved.

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Revolution GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 08:51
AbhiJ wrote:
I tried to access their free tests but they won't let me unless am a US student(the options only had US colleges). The registration won't finish because of this.

Hi AbhiJ,

When you're setting up your account as an international student, select "International" under the School State drop-down, then select "International School, Worldwide" as your school.

You can also give us a call at 877-738-7737 and we'll be happy to help you set up an account.

Thanks,
Tavis

Tavis M.
Revolution Prep

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 09:06
jkey57 wrote:
After getting an email from GMAT Club and taking a look at their site, I used the $100 promotional code for the $249 self-guided study program. When I tried to set up my profile, it wouldn't let me onto the site because it said I was inputting the wrong Time Zone (like I don't know what my time zone is!?!?!?!). When you click the link to send them an email, their manatee mascot kept popping up, saying "Opps...We're working on it!"

Its unacceptable for a company to charge my credit card in a matter of milliseconds, and then completely freeze me out of their site. Pretty weak for an internet-based company....

Hi jkey57,

Really sorry to hear that you're having issues right off the bat. We've got our team working on a solution right now. We'll reach out to you directly as soon as we have a solution.

Revolution GMAT is a brand new product and we're committed to making sure that you're satisfied with it.

Thanks,
Tavis

Tavis M.
Revolution Prep

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 10:07
jkey57 wrote:

Hi jkey57,

This issue has been resolved. You should have no further problems logging in and getting started. Please accept my apologies for the initial inconvenience, and let us know how you like the course!

Thanks,
Tavis

Tavis M.
Revolution Prep

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
I had a rough day yesterday and I took it on these guys with this post. I jumped the gun and came off like a jerk. Totally my fault.
Anyways, they got everything figured out today, even left me a VM saying everything is fixed. They are legit....
New companies are a good thing. Not only do they bring more jobs, they pressure their competitors to keep up.
Thanks for the quick response!
Schools: Notre Dame - Mendoza

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Revolution Prep - glad everything is set now [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 13:09
Hi Jkey - It's good to hear that you have access to your course now. We're sorry for the technical hiccup. Now that that's behind us, the most important thing is your preparation for the GMAT. On that note, please be sure to reach out to me if you have any questions about your studies. We'll also be checking in with you as your studies progress.

Thank you,
Chris
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 22:25
Thanks, Chris. Will do...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 10:14
JKey57,

How is the actual material and online setup since your problems have been solved....does the material and setup seem worth 149? I'm thinking of ordering the course and also how long do you have access to the online videos? 4 months or so?
Intern
Intern

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 11:43
Tstud-

The set-up is clear and straightforward. There's a library of videos that pretty much covers everything for the test and there are drills/quizzes that you can complete after the math videos. In general, all the topics are separated and you can watch each video (usually 10-20 minutes long, depending on topic) at your leisure. There's probably about 25hrs of videos so if you watched an hour a day, I'd imagine you could do them all in about a month. The good thing is that every video is clearly titled and you can go exactly where you need to, as opposed to to sifting through a 5 hr video that's just titled "Math". The videos are focused on conceptual learning, as opposed to memorizing, which is what I need.

After watching/taking notes on the first CR section (I believe there are three?), I already feel much stronger in the area. I did about 20 problems from a book a friend gave me and I got 17 of them right. I really like the strategy they teach for addressing CR.

My opinion: From what I've seen, I think it's well worth the $149 and I would recommend it. I've had it for a day and I already feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. I think most people would respond well to the videos. Two thumbs up!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 15:12
jkey57 wrote:
Tstud-

The set-up is clear and straightforward. There's a library of videos that pretty much covers everything for the test and there are drills/quizzes that you can complete after the math videos. In general, all the topics are separated and you can watch each video (usually 10-20 minutes long, depending on topic) at your leisure. There's probably about 25hrs of videos so if you watched an hour a day, I'd imagine you could do them all in about a month. The good thing is that every video is clearly titled and you can go exactly where you need to, as opposed to to sifting through a 5 hr video that's just titled "Math". The videos are focused on conceptual learning, as opposed to memorizing, which is what I need.

After watching/taking notes on the first CR section (I believe there are three?), I already feel much stronger in the area. I did about 20 problems from a book a friend gave me and I got 17 of them right. I really like the strategy they teach for addressing CR.

My opinion: From what I've seen, I think it's well worth the $149 and I would recommend it. I've had it for a day and I already feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. I think most people would respond well to the videos. Two thumbs up!

Jkey57,

Have you taken any other prep courses for the GMAT? If so, how does Revolution compare?

Also, speaking of videos, are there any other prep materials out there that offer video?

Thanks,
Rich
Intern
Intern

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 16:34
Hey Rich,

I'm not a pro with the GMAT or other study materials. In 2009, I took a $1200 in-class prep and it was a huge waste of time. The instructor pretty much just recited the review materials for 4 hours at a time and told us,"you need to memorize all of this". Before I took the class, I got a 460. After the class, I got a 470 (M 23, V 32). Pointless!

I should also point out that I am 33 yrs old with a full-time job. I need a something that has a lot of math fundamentals and test-taking strategies. I really don't have the time to devote entire days to this test. My goal is to get 580-600 (M 35, V 35), which seems to be reasonable if I can get a grip on the math side of things. I haven't done geometry/algebra in 15 year so that's kinda my hang-up! I need something that will help me re-learn math concepts.

I have no idea if this something for someone who scores a 680 and is going for a 715. Just being honest. Anyways, hope this response helps.

-Jake
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 50

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:42
This post received
KUDOS
jkey57 wrote:
Hey Rich,

I'm not a pro with the GMAT or other study materials. In 2009, I took a $1200 in-class prep and it was a huge waste of time. The instructor pretty much just recited the review materials for 4 hours at a time and told us,"you need to memorize all of this". Before I took the class, I got a 460. After the class, I got a 470 (M 23, V 32). Pointless!

I should also point out that I am 33 yrs old with a full-time job. I need a something that has a lot of math fundamentals and test-taking strategies. I really don't have the time to devote entire days to this test. My goal is to get 580-600 (M 35, V 35), which seems to be reasonable if I can get a grip on the math side of things. I haven't done geometry/algebra in 15 year so that's kinda my hang-up! I need something that will help me re-learn math concepts.

I have no idea if this something for someone who scores a 680 and is going for a 715. Just being honest. Anyways, hope this response helps.

-Jake

I am also in the Revolution Prep course as well. So far on the course, I have taken three CAT's and have seen progress in my weakest areas (data sufficiency and sentence corrections). I don't know if the tests are as accurate as the Kaplan or Manhattan guys (no one is gonna be as accurate as the real boys of course), but one of the video instructors was the head of the GMAT curriculum for Kaplan, fwiw.

The company isn't some quick fly by night operation since it doesn't offer classroom classes. Revolution is one of the biggest test prep companies in the country right now though it is pretty much just an SAT and ACT company until now. It may be third now, after Kaplan and Princeton Review.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [1] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
novanative wrote:

The company isn't some quick fly by night operation since it doesn't offer classroom classes. Revolution is one of the biggest test prep companies in the country right now though it is pretty much just an SAT and ACT company until now. It may be third now, after Kaplan and Princeton Review.

Yes, that's the part I did not realize myself until I had a chance to come out to LA and meet them - Revolution Prep actually employs 140 people and takes up a good chunk of the building on the corner of 7th and Wilshire in Santa Monica. They are just entering the GMAT market, which makes a great opportunity to get high quality product (i have watched about 10 videso) at a discounted price.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:59
bb wrote:
novanative wrote:
Yes, that's the part I did not realize myself until I had a chance to come out to LA and meet them - Revolution Prep actually employs 140 people and takes up a good chunk of the building on the corner of 7th and Wilshire in Santa Monica. They are just entering the GMAT market, which makes a great opportunity to get high quality product (i have watched about 10 videso) at a discounted price.

I didn't know they had that many people at HQ. There is a Revolution office in Alexandria, VA (outside of DC) as well, but it is basically just for the SAT/ACT curriculum. I like the video format of the lessons, and I play them either after work, or even in the car while driving to and from work through my smartphone (thank god for Flash Lite). Repeating the lessons a couple times is what helps me keep the strategies and concepts in my head.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:06
Expert's post
novanative wrote:
bb wrote:
novanative wrote:

I didn't know they had that many people at HQ. There is a Revolution office in Alexandria, VA (outside of DC) as well, but it is basically just for the SAT/ACT curriculum. I like the video format of the lessons, and I play them either after work, or even in the car while driving to and from work through my smartphone (thank god for Flash Lite). Repeating the lessons a couple times is what helps me keep the strategies and concepts in my head.

Oh, that's a cool way to study (though I hope you do this for videos already covered as a refresh as I could not see this to be super productive)... I am not sure if 140 is in the HQ. I think that may be total.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, I'd have to say the video library is solid and the lessons have been very helpful.

I bought the two month, unlimited deal about two weeks ago and I've noticed a lot improvement. When I bought it, I took one of the full tests just to gauge where I as at. Keep in mind I haven't seen any of this material in years, and even then I wasn't good with it. Anyways, I scored a 370 (Q10 V29) which is obviously weak. After about 2 weeks and going through about 60% of the quant and 60% of the verbal, I recently scored a 450 (Q23 V29) on the Revolution test and a 480 on the GMAT download. With the quant I got wrong, I either mad a small error or I hadn't even gotten to that subject topic yet so I'm hopeful. Is it me or is does there seem to be a ton of combinatorial/permutations on the GMAT practice exams?

I still haven't done any of the strategy stuff for math or any of the stats/combination work, so I think I'll be in good shape. For verbal, I just finished the RC section and have to do advanced CR and SC stuff. I'm taking 3 night classes now and I watch a video whenever I'm free.

I'm gonna try and finish all the videos by the end of the month and begin reviewing heavier then.

-Jake
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:45
bb wrote:
Oh, that's a cool way to study (though I hope you do this for videos already covered as a refresh as I could not see this to be super productive)... I am not sure if 140 is in the HQ. I think that may be total.

The first time I go through a concept I always review it at home, especially for the quantitative section. For the verbal section, I do the same whenever possible, but I have listened to some verbal videos while in the car without actually watching them during the first run. In those cases I just review them again after I get home.
jkey57 wrote:
Is it me or is does there seem to be a ton of combinatorial/permutations on the GMAT practice exams?
-Jake

I've faced maybe one or two questions on a test that involved combinations and permutations at most. Your grasp of integers and fundamental algebra is much more essential imo.
jkey57 wrote:
I still haven't done any of the strategy stuff for math or any of the stats/combination work, so I think I'll be in good shape.
-Jake

I've seen improvements in my weak spots after watching the videos in those areas. Still have a few left. I also have the 12th Edition GMAT book (in Redskin burgundy and gold) too from the test makers. Definitely a must have with the course, if you don't have this book already. The downside of the Revolution course is that I don't think there are enough test questions in the course to test your skills on.
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 11:33
TavisM wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

Hi AbhiJ,

When you're setting up your account as an international student, select "International" under the School State drop-down, then select "International School, Worldwide" as your school.

You can also give us a call at 877-738-7737 and we'll be happy to help you set up an account.

Thanks,
Tavis

There is no "International" under the School State drop-down, hence this work around does not work. User gets a message saying "No matches, Please try again."
Please refer to the attachment.
Attachments

SS.JPG
SS.JPG [ 101.73 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: REVOLUTION PREP - Did I just make $149 mistake?   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2012, 11:33