Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1510 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
teabiscuit wrote:
Hey Rhyme,

This is an excellent thread. Thank you for all the helpful info.

I am an American interested in starting at a Latin American office - hopefully in Brazil - of one of the big 3 after school. Do you know if international offices of the big 3, specifically the Latin American offices, recruit American MBAs? If so, how hard is it for an American MBA to land a position at, say, the Sao Paulo office? FYI - I speak both Spanish and Portuguese.

Thanks.

Frankly, its probably easier than you think. There are relatively few MBAs who speak the necessary languages to land those gigs. I'd say your odds are probably twice as good recruiting for Sao Paulo than for say, New York City.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 88

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 03:41
Wow, so much information in your post!! Really really informative.

I'll be coming back to this post often :-D

"And you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking" - 'Time' by Pink Floyd

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 10:56
AMAZING thread !!! Thank you rhyme for sharing your experiences. I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but I did have a question:

How much emphasis is placed on GMAT score during MC recruiting ?

Full disclosure: I scored a 690, and will be matriculating at Darden as part of the Class of 2012. Transitioning into MC from industry was one of the major reasons I started to pursue my MBA, but have heard that the big firms wont even consider you if you dont have a 700+ score.

Having said that, Im seriously thinking of taking a prep course and rewriting in the next few months, before I move down to Virginia to start school.

Thoughts/comments ? Thanks in advance !!
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [5] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
Another resources for those interested ... we like to share at INSEAD!!

http://www.insead.edu/mba/clubs/consult ... /index.cfm

See 'INSEAD Consulting Book (download)' on the left hand panel.

Very useful guide for those interested in MC.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 15:11
Kudos sm332. Really helpful document!

+1
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 13:27
Great doc sm332. Much obliged.

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 08:04
Can you "tier" the consulting firms or give general thoughts about exit oppportunities, competition, types of projects etc at each of the major firms. The reason I ask is because everyone always mentions MBB, I have a lot of friends who started at Deloitte (consulting, not tax/audit) from UG and know some Sr. Mngrs there and they seem to work on good projects and make good money, on the other hand, I know that Accenture is pretty much considered the bottom rung of consulting along with BAH (due to their govt practice and because Booze has spun off alone). I just wanted to know what the next tier to shoot for is after MBB?

Tier 1: MBB
Tier 2: ???????
Tier 3: ???????
Tier 4: ???????

Thanks for all of the helpful advice in this thread, MC is definitely something I want to explore in b-school, I think it will allow me to explore a wide variety of business problems since I'm tired of being stuck in just one function (marketing).

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure how the Tier 1/Tier 2 breakdown is in other people's minds, but this is my perspective:

There are different types of consulting, and many companies offer a variety of services. That is why you have differing opinions with Deliotte/Accenture, etc.

Accenture/Deliotte/Capgemini/IBM are known for their technology consulting, but all have strategy groups of various sizes and industry expertise.

The Big 4 (PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Deliotte) provide consulting services as well, though they tend to be more financial advisory than strategy. The type of work can vary a lot. Some people absolutely love what they do there, and some despise it. It really depends on which group you are with. Work/life balance can be better here though.

I think most MBAs want strategy consulting; the best of the best in that field is MBB. There are also other elite strategy firms, such as LEK, AT Kearney, Parthenon Group.

Another group would be the industry specialties, such as ZS Associates (Healthcare) or Schlumberger (Oil & Gas). If you are industry focused, these offer great options to develop industry knowledge and a strong network.

My personal outlook: If I decide to go back into consulting, I would shoot for either an elite strategy firm such those aforementioned, or an energy-focused firm. I worked Big 4 consulting/technology consulting before, and wouldn't want to go back to it.
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 12:06
Hi unhedged,

Curious as to what your complaint was with Big 4/Tech consulting?

Thanks!
unhedged wrote:
Not sure how the Tier 1/Tier 2 breakdown is in other people's minds, but this is my perspective:

There are different types of consulting, and many companies offer a variety of services. That is why you have differing opinions with Deliotte/Accenture, etc.

Accenture/Deliotte/Capgemini/IBM are known for their technology consulting, but all have strategy groups of various sizes and industry expertise.

The Big 4 (PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Deliotte) provide consulting services as well, though they tend to be more financial advisory than strategy. The type of work can vary a lot. Some people absolutely love what they do there, and some despise it. It really depends on which group you are with. Work/life balance can be better here though.

I think most MBAs want strategy consulting; the best of the best in that field is MBB. There are also other elite strategy firms, such as LEK, AT Kearney, Parthenon Group.

Another group would be the industry specialties, such as ZS Associates (Healthcare) or Schlumberger (Oil & Gas). If you are industry focused, these offer great options to develop industry knowledge and a strong network.

My personal outlook: If I decide to go back into consulting, I would shoot for either an elite strategy firm such those aforementioned, or an energy-focused firm. I worked Big 4 consulting/technology consulting before, and wouldn't want to go back to it.

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
I received an e-mail from my school for "Connect with Bain" opportunity.
One thing that was interesting is the schools included in Bain's list.
Attachment:
File comment: Connect with Bain
bain.JPG
bain.JPG [ 84.93 KiB | Viewed 10626 times ]

Notable omissions include:
*Anderson
*Johnson
*McCombs
*Stern
*Tepper
*Yale
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 13:41
Has anyone else received information about the Connect with Bain opp? I haven't seen anything yet.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 15:17
It shows up in the Admitted Student Portal for Ross. I signed up last week and Bain contacted me to say they are finalizing the date and will be contacting me in a couple of weeks for the Boston reception.
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 02:48
This post is incredibly helpful, thank you +1

I have a question: undergrads or graduates w/o experience applying for an internship or an entry-level position have to tackle a case in the interview too?

Thank you!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 10:35
eminent wrote:
Has anyone else received information about the Connect with Bain opp? I haven't seen anything yet.

It was on the admitted students' forum for Kellogg as well. I believe some people in LA and SF have already received invitations to receptions.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 08:56
Hey Rhyme,
Great Thread man!!!!!! Its really helpful..
Guys my question may sound kinda naive, but I wanted to know that since u mentioned that MC is not generally limited to a particular Vertical/field, then what is the Specialization a person should choose for a career in MC...
I mean I am an Indian IT Male(no shortage of those) wanting to pursue Consulting, so whats the specialization I shud be looking for , shud it be IT (related to my field) or something different to get more exposure to a diff field?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 21:14
I've been playing around with some of the MC websites to see what campus' are targeted. E.G. Mckinsey has many schools listed in the drop down menu for MBA recruiting, but some take you to the "other schools" page, while others have their own page.

As for the Bain event, we got a notice about a 1-day summer workshop for incoming MBA's (not the minority/women event). Sounds like it rotates annually and this year it will be in Dallas domestically and Sao Paolo internationally.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:20
great article. Standing applause!!! Just WOW!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:22
couldn't even finished in single read so bookmarked. but 5 stars deserved.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 18:17
To my friends trying to understand the complexity of consulting in the global dimension and how Accenture/IBM/others are in Some strategy and how the BPO/Other firms play in the mix, a great Knowledge@Wharton Article.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/arti ... cleid=1345

Enjoy=)

My motto in life - http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/
Go Longhorns!!

My Recommender Question List 2011

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:41
Hi Saruba,

I hope that it is not too late, but the answer to your question is yes. All candidates who intend to apply to consulting firms will face the case interview as a portion, quite honestly the most important part, of the interview.

Good luck with everything!

saruba wrote:
This post is incredibly helpful, thank you +1

I have a question: undergrads or graduates w/o experience applying for an internship or an entry-level position have to tackle a case in the interview too?

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2011, 01:41