Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 19:16
kwam wrote:
rampup82 wrote:
Thanks rhyme! That makes a lot of sense. I can't prepare for all the questions they can possibly ask me, so yes, recasting the question to fit what I know is a good idea.

One more thing - did any of your b-school interviewers ask you about trends/challenges in your industry?

Even outside your industry, in my interview last week, the interviewer asked me about a particular country's economy, what would I do to improve it, and what is my view on its population "entrepreneurial spirit". I wasn't expecting these questions, and it was a little tricky to answer it.

geez. If I were asked that, I'd look like a deer caught in the headlights, for sure. If you don't mind my asking - what school asked you that question?

So when the interviewer ask you to provide examples of leadership/teamwork, would it be ok to reuse the examples you provided on your essays? (pls assume that this is NOT a blind interview - the interviewer has briefly reviewed your profile). If not, would it be acceptable to draw examples from outside of work? Or should I stick to work experiences? I don't know if these b-school interviews are like real job interviews. During real job interviews, the interviewer almost always allows me to draw experiences from work, school, volunteer work, whatever.

Thx in advance. :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 08:55
Rhyme,

I believe you will never read this post of mine(I assume you are too busy, studying) ... But i wanted to say thanks for sharing all this with the world :)

I am sure you are doing great where ever you are ....

Thanks again :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 01:34
Wicked post Rhyme!

Since ppl are all throwing who they admire on the gmatclub its my turn.

I've been "active" here for almost a year and in that time I've learnt to gobble up everything from Rhyme, Kryzak and Riverripper. Sometimes I skip the name of the author and jump into the post first and I cannot tell which one of them wrote that post. They're all that good, equally. Open the RKR admission consulting firm after graduation?

So anyway Rhyme gets 2 brownie points since I met him last month at the GSB, RR gets 1 since I spoke on the phone. But Kry gets 3 brownie points so he doesn't exercise his mod muscles on me haha :-D

keep up the good work guys. there was another thread about why GC >> BW Forum, this is exactly why
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 17:25
amitdgr wrote:
Rhyme,

I believe you will never read this post of mine(I assume you are too busy, studying) ... But i wanted to say thanks for sharing all this with the world :)

I am sure you are doing great where ever you are ....

Thanks again :)

I'm right here. :) You are welcome.... good luck mate!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 21:20
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... op+stories

I thought this article was very well written and had some good suggestions

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 19:25
Great thread. When I visited University of Chicago, Rose Martinelli made a great point that I'm trying to keep in mind as a prep for my Kellogg interview this week. The answer to "Why 'School X' is a set of attributes, not a list of courses." I'm going into my interview with the hope of being able to demonstrate the connection I have made with the school, and hope I don't trip over all the details. Practicing has been a little more nerve wracking than I thought it would be.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 11:36
rhyme/anyone else,

What makes for a good team work story? Almost every project I work on requires incredible team work. We are small company try to win big clients, so we are always understaffed and are under time and budget constraints on our projects. What in your opinion would make one team work story stand apart from the others?

Thanks!
Director
Director

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 14:39
Thanks rhyme. But if you are the one leveraging strengths and neutralizing weaknesses (I am assuming you meant to change individuals' roles to play up each individual's strengths), aren't you really displaying leadership qualities rather than teamwork?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 19:35
Hi guys..

I have a quick question..I know it might sound a bit stupid..but can someone tell me what is the best way to address an interviewer in the email and while interviewing ? By first name or by last name?I'd really appreciate a response
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 05:39
meeishal wrote:
Hi guys..

I have a quick question..I know it might sound a bit stupid..but can someone tell me what is the best way to address an interviewer in the email and while interviewing ? By first name or by last name?I'd really appreciate a response

Last name,

Dear Mr. / Ms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 05:41
mbagal2011 wrote:
Thanks rhyme. But if you are the one leveraging strengths and neutralizing weaknesses (I am assuming you meant to change individuals' roles to play up each individual's strengths), aren't you really displaying leadership qualities rather than teamwork?

Well, I suppose you could make that argument, but I'd argue leadership stories tend to be more about what you specifically did / saw / implemented. In this case I'd focus less on the "I did this, I did that" and more on the "We did this, we did that. As a result of X, we achieved Y, and person A managed to fix problem B" - things like that. Let me know if that just confuses you more.

Also, don't get too worked up finding the perfect teamwork story.... find something decent and be confident. They say 90% of an impression is formed by how you say something and only 10% is what you say.
Director
Director

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 07:05
Thanks rhyme! That does make sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 16:37
rhyme wrote:
meeishal wrote:
Hi guys..

Last name,

Dear Mr. / Ms.

Eh, in general, I refer to people in any situation based off of how they introduced themselves to me. With the exception of my father in law, who I refuse to call "Mr. Touch my Daughter and I'll Kill You".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2008, 08:37
First of all Rhyme, great post, one of the best i have seen. And its very nice of you to share this now when you might be short of time anyways ...

Regarding addressing the interviewer, Isn't it ok to call them Sir / Maa'm ? In mail i suppose we can address them by Mr/ Mrs .lastname , but face to face , if they are alumini then probably by last name, if they are professors, using sir/maam, or maybe not adressing at all ? Which is best and for whom ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2008, 22:52
Thanks so much for the info... this will come in handy with my two interviews this week!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 10:37
If my interviewer drops my first name, I respond with his/hers. Tit for tat.

Also, my alumni interviewer from Texas emailed me today and we're setting up at time to meet. Just out of curiosity, I googled him, and it turns out we went to the same school for undergrad (!!), he's written a book and has a blog, which I am reading (on company time, naturally). So now I'm going in with some advance intelligence that I can drop and totally wow the dude with.
Current Student
Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 11:31
Ntang wrote:

Also, my alumni interviewer from Texas emailed me today and we're setting up at time to meet. Just out of curiosity, I googled him, and it turns out we went to the same school for undergrad (!!), he's written a book and has a blog, which I am reading (on company time, naturally). So now I'm going in with some advance intelligence that I can drop and totally wow the dude with.

You're sooooo smart ;)
Manager
Manager

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 11:42
I know. My mom says that too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 10:25
Ntang wrote:

Just be careful. This can come across as awful creepy. I once had an interviewer dig around on linkedin finding things that my business partners had done and asking me about them. It didn't come across as research, it just came across as inappropriately weird.
Manager
Manager

Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 10:42
rhyme wrote:
Just be careful. This can come across as awful creepy. I once had an interviewer dig around on linkedin finding things that my business partners had done and asking me about them. It didn't come across as research, it just came across as inappropriately weird.

So... you're saying NOT to ask whether his daughter is getting over her cold? Hmm... I'll think about it.
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2008, 10:42