Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Darden Thread Master
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 17

Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 10:56
Hi all,

Request your help in getting out of this dilemma !!!
It has been a long and exhaustive application process. Spent 2 years thinking of my goals and asking myself what I want .... The happy ending is as follows :
1. Admitted to Rice with 80% tuition scholarship
2. Admitted to McCombs
3. Admitted to Kenan Flagler

And now I am back to square one . Which school to go to. Each one is an amazing program. I have researched them a lot before applying. To the extent of what papers each schools prof. have published, the cities they are in, how suited they are for my career goals and how well I will fit into their programs.
And in the end I am just not able to make the choice. Each has an advantage the other cant offer.
I wish to be at the best program in terms of peers,networking,ROI, reputation and alumni network. Cost is not a factor for me. The trasnformational experience is !

All the fellow applicants on the GMATCLUB are the most active business school applicants on the planet(i am sure of that). And each one of you has done his or her in-depth research.
I would be grateful if you could tell what choice you would make if you were in my situation, and state a reason for the choice.

My profile in brief :
Indian(in India) , Electrical engineer---a typical applicant so far :-)
Worked with Fortune 500 companies in the Energy sector for 5 years , interested in international marketing, strategy, consulting and entrepreneurship.
Open to all career options. Would prefer to join my present organisation post-mba, if they offer me the position I want. I already have a position in mind and my present organisation will most probably agree. However, I feel that the MBA peer group and curriculum might change my thoughts. So dont want to commit to my present organisation before I finish the MBA.

Hope you all will help --- your opinion is important to me. I have been learning through the GMATCLUB since the time I started preparing for the GMAT and am still looking for help from fellow applicants.

Thanks in advance !

---
Jimmy

Life`s battles dont always go,
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the man who THINKS HE CAN .

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [1] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
jimmy86 wrote:
Hi all,

It has been a long and exhaustive application process. Spent 2 years thinking of my goals and asking myself what I want .... The happy ending is as follows :
2. Admitted to McCombs

And now I am back to square one . Which school to go to. Each one is an amazing program. I have researched them a lot before applying. To the extent of what papers each schools prof. have published, the cities they are in, how suited they are for my career goals and how well I will fit into their programs.
And in the end I am just not able to make the choice. Each has an advantage the other cant offer.
I wish to be at the best program in terms of peers,networking,ROI, reputation and alumni network. Cost is not a factor for me. The trasnformational experience is !

All the fellow applicants on the GMATCLUB are the most active business school applicants on the planet(i am sure of that). And each one of you has done his or her in-depth research.
I would be grateful if you could tell what choice you would make if you were in my situation, and state a reason for the choice.

My profile in brief :
Worked with Fortune 500 companies in the Energy sector for 5 years , interested in international marketing, strategy, consulting and entrepreneurship.
Open to all career options. Would prefer to join my present organisation post-mba, if they offer me the position I want. I already have a position in mind and my present organisation will most probably agree. However, I feel that the MBA peer group and curriculum might change my thoughts. So dont want to commit to my present organisation before I finish the MBA.

Hope you all will help --- your opinion is important to me. I have been learning through the GMATCLUB since the time I started preparing for the GMAT and am still looking for help from fellow applicants.

Thanks in advance !

A rich man's problem indeed. Congratulations on the 3 admits and I hope the anxiety of choosing one out of the three is not stopping you to realize that you have achieved what many dream of.

My 2 cents:

1.) You say cost is not a factor but you also mention you are looking for a good ROI. Hmm.. I don't think we can separate the 2 completely.

2.) Segregate on geography. Rice/McCombs vs KF

3.) Segregate on industry. If you do want to continue to work in the energy industry McCombs/Rice will weigh a bit heavier than KF. (similarly, if you want to go in healthcare - i would choose KF)

4.) If you want to come back to your org. for sure then it makes sense to take that 80% bait (there is no point in being in debt for 4 yrs after your MBA if you have some job security already). But, looks like you are not certain - so let's move ahead.

5.) This is what you should do immediately - draft a letter for McCombs adcom asking them for some waiver. Tell them cost is a big factor for you and Rice is offering you 80% schol. Your first choice is McCombs and you are in love with the program blaba. Basically ask them to sweeten the deal and make your decision post their reply.

Basically, I see a tough choice between McCombs and 80% $$ - Rice. If cost is not a factor at all, I will choose McCombs - better school, great alumni network, good recruitment opportunities.

Good luck with the decision.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 17:18
jimmy86 wrote:
Hi all,

2. Admitted to McCombs

My profile in brief :

Thanks in advance !

First of all, my heartiest congratulations!!

If I were you, I would first choose between Rice/McCombs and KF. This decision would be based on geography, career opportunities, better fit, rankings, salary offered after graduation, etc. To me, if everything else is similar - then the median salary offered by employers after graduation speaks a lot about the program. McCombs' graduates are offered at least 5k greater than both Rice's and Kenan's graduates. In other words, employers are ready to pay more for McComb's graduates than Rice's or Kenan's.

P.S. : I may sound a little shallow talking about money but that is one of the important parameters for me.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 19:29
laidmn wrote:
jimmy86 wrote:
Hi all,

2. Admitted to McCombs

My profile in brief :

Thanks in advance !

If I were you, I would first choose between Rice/McCombs and KF. This decision would be based on geography, career opportunities, better fit, rankings, salary offered after graduation, etc. To me, if everything else is similar - then the median salary offered by employers after graduation speaks a lot about the program. McCombs' graduates are offered at least 5k greater than both Rice's and Kenan's graduates. In other words, employers are ready to pay more for McComb's graduates than Rice's or Kenan's.

P.S. : I may sound a little shallow talking about money but that is one of the important parameters for me.

Hi! I'm a current Kenan-Flagler student. I faced the exact same decision last year (McCombs vs. KF). Ultimately it came down to fellowship money for me. If you want to stay in Texas or go into energy, take the money at Rice. If you're looking at Healthcare or sustainability, KFBS is the way to go.

And the above individual is incorrect about the salary difference at McCombs and KFBS. Salary statistics are virtually identical at both schools. Look at the employment statistics from each school on their website for more specifics.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 06:10
beckettma wrote:
Hi! I'm a current Kenan-Flagler student. I faced the exact same decision last year (McCombs vs. KF). Ultimately it came down to fellowship money for me. If you want to stay in Texas or go into energy, take the money at Rice. If you're looking at Healthcare or sustainability, KFBS is the way to go.

And the above individual is incorrect about the salary difference at McCombs and KFBS. Salary statistics are virtually identical at both schools. Look at the employment statistics from each school on their website for more specifics.

I stand corrected!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 50

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 07:39
jimmy86 wrote:
Hi all,

2. Admitted to McCombs

My profile in brief :

Thanks in advance !

Congrats! If money isnt an issue then pick between Texas and UNC. I decided to apply to UNC and not Texas because their program has a strong emphasis in leadership and its better for consulting. Both schools in my country have a better brand name than Rice. Austin is a better city than CH but still CH is a great college town, and closer to North East which is where i want to work post mba.

As the previous posters mentioned above - think well what you want to do post MBA, preferred method of teaching, where you want to work. Ive visited all 3 schools and you will have a blast in all three of them.
Darden Thread Master

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 10:25
jumsumtak wrote:
jimmy86 wrote:
Hi all,

2. Admitted to McCombs

My profile in brief :

Thanks in advance !

A rich man's problem indeed. Congratulations on the 3 admits and I hope the anxiety of choosing one out of the three is not stopping you to realize that you have achieved what many dream of.

My 2 cents:

1.) You say cost is not a factor but you also mention you are looking for a good ROI. Hmm.. I don't think we can separate the 2 completely.

2.) Segregate on geography. Rice/McCombs vs KF

3.) Segregate on industry. If you do want to continue to work in the energy industry McCombs/Rice will weigh a bit heavier than KF. (similarly, if you want to go in healthcare - i would choose KF)

4.) If you want to come back to your org. for sure then it makes sense to take that 80% bait (there is no point in being in debt for 4 yrs after your MBA if you have some job security already). But, looks like you are not certain - so let's move ahead.

5.) This is what you should do immediately - draft a letter for McCombs adcom asking them for some waiver. Tell them cost is a big factor for you and Rice is offering you 80% schol. Your first choice is McCombs and you are in love with the program blaba. Basically ask them to sweeten the deal and make your decision post their reply.

Basically, I see a tough choice between McCombs and 80% $$ - Rice. If cost is not a factor at all, I will choose McCombs - better school, great alumni network, good recruitment opportunities.

Good luck with the decision.

Hey jumsumtak,

How are your applications coming? Where do you aim to matriculate?

Thank you for the response. Frankly, McCombs is really where my heart lies. I have had an amazing experience with the admissions committee and students at McCombs. McCombs and KF are better programs than Rice, And I am not really sure whether I wanna spend the rest of my life in energy.
Here`s whats running on my mind :
McCombs
- If you read the student comments on the businessweek rakings - you will find that most of the students at McCombs are not happy with their career management services . If you believe these comments to be true then that is a big de-motivating factor.
- Energy companies are not really into hiring internationals for their leadership programs . So am a bit skeptical about energy.
- Austin is a great city and there is a lot of entrepreneurship buzz in Austin. I love that kind of enviornment.

KF
- The school is growing in reputation and has placed more students around the US than McCombs. McCombs has nearly 60-70% placements in the south or southwest
- KF is finance and healthcare heavy. I am less interested both these areas. However, on the positive side most of my classmates will be competing in these areas and I wont.
- Chapel Hill being a small city is a de-motivation, however the research triangle area is a big plus side.
- The classrooms and technology at KF are very updated and of what I have heard( have not idea if its true and can never judge from India), they have better teaching faculty than McCombs

All that said, my heart is still in McCombs and logic tells me to go to KF.
Just dont know what to do!!!

---
Jimmy

Darden Thread Master

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 10:37
laidmn wrote:

Hi laidmn,

Thank you for your reply. Well the ranking figures might indicate that the average package of a McCombs graduate is higher than a KF graudate. However, personally I think that this is a deceptive statistic. These schools are very similar and it all comes down to the individuals concentration of MBA and individuals caliber on which the final package will depend. Also, I am sure that internationals have lower average packages and no one knows the average package of internationals at these schools.

Again, the quality of education and the networks will be of far more importance a few years after graduation, than the average package at graduation. But this is just my personal view. And I agree with you and am not forgetting --- we are all in it for the money, but with a lot of other things that make life better. :-D

---
Jimmy

Darden Thread Master

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 10:43
Sharpie wrote:
Congrats! If money isnt an issue then pick between Texas and UNC. I decided to apply to UNC and not Texas because their program has a strong emphasis in leadership and its better for consulting. Both schools in my country have a better brand name than Rice. Austin is a better city than CH but still CH is a great college town, and closer to North East which is where i want to work post mba.

As the previous posters mentioned above - think well what you want to do post MBA, preferred method of teaching, where you want to work. Ive visited all 3 schools and you will have a blast in all three of them.

Hey Sharpie,

Thanks for the response. Your response is not really helpful in solving my dilemma though :lol:
You said something good for the both of them and that is where I am confused. Like in said above in my response to jumsumtak - my heart lies in McCombs and logic says KF is a better program.

Wish I could look 2 years into the future ....

Yet I am not too worried because with these two schools, whatever choice i make I cannot go worng. Both are amazing.

---
Jimmy

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 12:27
Expert's post
Rice if you are sure that you want to stay in energy. But you may also want to check to see what level of positions energy company hire from Rice, and how easy it is to get a job as an international student.

McCombs and UNC if you want a broader selection of post-MBA exits. I don’t think UNC is better than McCombs. Those two schools are on par with each other; even then, it’s comparing apples to oranges. I don’t believe they would be competing for the same jobs. Both schools are regional, and it depends on where you want to live after b-school.

From a classroom tech perspective, I don’t think that has much relevance in your b-school education. But, both schools are on par. I’ve been to both schools. I heard the McCombs is building a new MBA only building, so it may have an edge on facilities later down the line.

Good luck!

Diversity

VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 03:29
jimmy86 wrote:
Hey jumsumtak,

How are your applications coming? Where do you aim to matriculate?

Thank you for the response. Frankly, McCombs is really where my heart lies. I have had an amazing experience with the admissions committee and students at McCombs. McCombs and KF are better programs than Rice, And I am not really sure whether I wanna spend the rest of my life in energy.
Here`s whats running on my mind :
McCombs
- If you read the student comments on the businessweek rakings - you will find that most of the students at McCombs are not happy with their career management services . If you believe these comments to be true then that is a big de-motivating factor.
- Energy companies are not really into hiring internationals for their leadership programs . So am a bit skeptical about energy.
- Austin is a great city and there is a lot of entrepreneurship buzz in Austin. I love that kind of enviornment.

KF
- The school is growing in reputation and has placed more students around the US than McCombs. McCombs has nearly 60-70% placements in the south or southwest
- KF is finance and healthcare heavy. I am less interested both these areas. However, on the positive side most of my classmates will be competing in these areas and I wont.
- Chapel Hill being a small city is a de-motivation, however the research triangle area is a big plus side.
- The classrooms and technology at KF are very updated and of what I have heard( have not idea if its true and can never judge from India), they have better teaching faculty than McCombs

All that said, my heart is still in McCombs and logic tells me to go to KF.
Just dont know what to do!!!

I'm done with this season. Applied to a couple; was dinged. If everything goes right (14-16) :)

Hmm real toughie then.

So what I see from your post is that you have given up on Rice. KF and McCombs are at par. Fair enough then, let me confuse you a bit more:

1.) I don't think you should pay a lot of attention to career management services comments. you never know how the economy will fare out in 2 yrs. btw, did you check the bitching about KF? There should be something bad/disappointing happening there as well. ( I think you may have a slight advantage at McCombs because of your background - only if your "placements of international students" point is negated)
2.) if geography is not your concern - the fact that KF places more students around the US does not make much sense. I mean you might as well get placed in the south (in a better job) than on the east cost.
3.) research triangle is a big plus - how exactly? I thought RT was really strong in healthcare. If you are not really interested, why is RT a big plus?
4.) are you comfortable with the teaching methods at both?
5.) Have you talked to the international students in both the schools? As you mentioned, placement is one thing and placing international students is another. I think you should get a first hand view of the ground situation.

are you planning to go to the admit weekends? I think if you visit the schools you may well make up your mind. Take your spouse/family on a trip (if possible) and decide after visiting. With so many other factors, I think this is the best possible solution !

Best

P.S: Also, if you have some more time, try and decide after the 21st of Dec. You may not even need to make the decision.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V51
GPA: 3.42
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 17:52
Go to Rice. The scholarship shows how much they want you, how good of a fit you would be, etc. I'm sure there's something great at the end of the tunnel there for you.
Darden Thread Master

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:46
wi11iedigital wrote:
Go to Rice. The scholarship shows how much they want you, how good of a fit you would be, etc. I'm sure there's something great at the end of the tunnel there for you.

Thanks wi11iedigital ... I too feel the same. And most probably I am going to Rice.

---
Jimmy

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 11:34
Expert's post
I was gonna say the same thing.... Plus imagine yourself two years later... and with almost NONE of that loan burden on you. You'll be free as a butterfly.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 22:37
Hey you should go to Rice or Kenan Flagler so that I get a chance to convert my wait list to acceptance :lol:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 23:49
Alright, Rice kids don't seem to get on the forums much, so here's a first-year jumping in....

First off, totally agree with the framing of UNC vs McCombs/Rice, and with most of what was said above.

A few thoughts...
On geography and job placement:
Yes, UNC has a wider geographic placement of its graduates. Most of UT places in the SW, and Rice overwhelmingly does. However, recognize the limited local opportunity for UNC grads, of course they go all around the country, they have to. That being said, just because most grads stay in the South, doesn't mean you have to coming out of Rice. A number of us are currently interviewing or have already secured internship placements outside of Texas. But for the most part, it's incredibly tempting to focus only locally. There's great businesses coming to campus, and the Houston business community certainly has more of a small-town feel where everyone knows someone. I think a lot of classmates feel, why work so hard for positions elsewhere with what I've got here? Our Dean said, "Houston is both a blessing and a curse." Rice has great opportunities at its doorstep, but it will continue to be seen as a regional school when 90% of the graduates work in the Southwest. Now that being said, there are a Rice alums spread all over, and they are fiercely loyal (probably due to the small school size). They've always been incredibly generous and helpful in my experience.

"Rice is only good for Energy" - Seeing it on the inside, this statement is such crap. At one point when Rice was trying to build itself, it really focused on building that part, and it's still amazing for Energy, but to say that Rice isn't worth it if you want to work outside Energy is a misguided view. Besides, O&G likes people who've worked in O&G. All the big boys come to campus, but if you have some random unrelated background, came to Rice, and paid your dues to the Energy club, that doesn't mean a supermajor will be all that interested in you. Now for the OP, it's sounds like you have an great background and if you want to stay in Energy, Rice or McCombs would be great, but you wouldn't be pigeon-holed to it.
A few other things to note Rice for
The Healthcare concentration was launched just this year, and they've hired a special Director, added a bunch of courses, and most importantly, have got a bunch of healthcare companies/internships on campus that at times it seems to outnumber the students focusing in that (little jealous). Rice is working hard to build connections with the Medical center, which it should since it's stone's throw from campus.
I might be the only one to say it, Rice isn't too bad for marketing. Maybe because there's not a ton of students trying to do marketing (granted the class size is 120), but those that are have a really sweet deal. The 2nd semester ALP always has great variety of marketing-type projects, and that's in addition to the club/competitions/1st semester marketing project. The marketing people were some of the first to secure their internships and are going to F500 (again, little jealous).
Though Rice has historically been big for Finance, I didn't realize until coming here just how many alums are Non-Energy Finance. The Wright Fund plays a part, but beyond that there's a number of equities analysts, students who left or are entering HF/PE, and a good-sized network to tap into.
Also good: Entrepreneurship, Education, etc, etc - check the website.

-----
To the OP:
With the money - yes, they do want you. Rice is very committed to growing its reputation, and $$ is one way they're doing it. For me personally, that $$ in tuition I'm not paying is money I can spend on international trips, career treks, conferences, and whatever else I want.

Feel free to PM me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 09:02
Thanks for the write-up, histgirl.

Just saw Rice rank above McCombs on the new FT 2013 rankings as well.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2169

Kudos [?]: 7687 [0], given: 3628

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 11:20
Expert's post
Congratulations on the admits! Great job!
Just a quick check - have you made the decision as to where you are going?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Rice $$ vs McCombs vs Kenan Flagler   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 11:20