Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rice vs USC?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Rice vs USC.. Which would you choose?

• 69% [9]
  • 30% [4]
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 08:24
I've been accepted to both Rice and USC Marshall full time MBA programs. Received the same scholarship from both schools, so the financial considerations are really a non factor here.

I've lived in Texas my entire life, so I think I'm really overexposed to the strong regional reputation of Rice. I'd really appreciate any outside opinions on the pros and cons of each program, the reputations, the networks, etc. The Rice MBA program seems to have made great strides in recent years, and I believe it's headed in the right direction despite the recent slip in US News rankings. It's really hard to tell how these programs will stack up against one another five years from now.

I'm looking to concentrate in consulting and entrepreneurship, and don't plan to live in either LA or Houston after graduation. Is there a significant difference between the national reputations of the two programs within my chosen field? I know USC has a much larger network, so that likely offers an advantage. Would one degree be significantly more credible than the other when looking for a job in consulting at graduation?

I'm guessing that USC has the stronger reputation anywhere on the west coast, but would there be a significant difference between the two programs when applying for jobs in the northeast?

I would greatly appreciate any input provided here.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 10:15
looking at their employment reports
http://www.marshall.usc.edu/mbacareer/employment_report
http://business.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/ ... istics.pdf

it looks like USC places 8.1%(of around 220) while rice only places 4% (of around 100) in the northeast.

Also... if you're looking to get out of Texas post MBA, and want a new experience... it seems like the perfect opportunity to test out the west coast (just my opinion).

Ranking wise, I'd say they're both solid Top30s or so. I'm sure you can break into consulting from either... I'd also assume Rice's network would be more usefull for energy related startups while USC's would be better for Hi-tech or Entertainment/Media
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 10:43
Given the Energy courses offered at Rice...USC does not stands no where closer to Rice.
Not only Texas , I guess all over States Rice is known fr its Energy focused program.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 11:27
Why wouldn't you apply to schools in the northeast if that's where you want to work after graduation?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 15:03
codytravers wrote:
Why wouldn't you apply to schools in the northeast if that's where you want to work after graduation?

I'm not saying that I want to work in the north east after graduation. Basically, I'm open to living on the west coast, staying in Texas, or moving to the northeast. I'm not tied to any particular area and I'll be able to follow whatever job I'm pursuing to any of those areas. From what I can tell, USC has a stronger rep on the west coast, and Rice has a stronger rep in Texas. The northeast is the area where the regional reputations of the schools are less of a factor, so I'm interested in how the reputations of the two schools hold up on the other side of the country.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 20:25
brendxn wrote:
I've been accepted to both Rice and USC Marshall full time MBA programs. Received the same scholarship from both schools, so the financial considerations are really a non factor here.

I've lived in Texas my entire life, so I think I'm really overexposed to the strong regional reputation of Rice. I'd really appreciate any outside opinions on the pros and cons of each program, the reputations, the networks, etc. The Rice MBA program seems to have made great strides in recent years, and I believe it's headed in the right direction despite the recent slip in US News rankings. It's really hard to tell how these programs will stack up against one another five years from now.

I'm looking to concentrate in consulting and entrepreneurship, and don't plan to live in either LA or Houston after graduation. Is there a significant difference between the national reputations of the two programs within my chosen field? I know USC has a much larger network, so that likely offers an advantage. Would one degree be significantly more credible than the other when looking for a job in consulting at graduation?

I'm guessing that USC has the stronger reputation anywhere on the west coast, but would there be a significant difference between the two programs when applying for jobs in the northeast?

I would greatly appreciate any input provided here.

id say rice. like you said, the school has made strides to improve. usc, on the other hand, appears to being going the opposite direction. i was invited to interview but withdrew after hearing bad things from several students. it was the only school out of the 10 i really researched which had students who openly spoke about issues. i dont think usc will have anything rice wont. congrats on the acceptances.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rice vs USC? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 23:36
Just my 2 cents , Rice and USC are both regional programs. I would say the energy companies tie to Rice much better than the Tech /Media and entertainment companies tie to USC. USC has had recent slip in rankings and has been on a downward trend for all the reasons. Rice is strong program with basics absolutely spot on.Having said this I would say Focus on what you want to do Post MBA. Dont expect to place in O&G from USC or Tech/Media(West Coast) from Rice. Talk to as many people from both the schools about the industry & function you are interested in. Lastly try to visit USC if possible and be a part of the environment yourself before actually making an decision.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Rice vs USC?   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 23:36