Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Re: Richard Ivey 2013 Applicants!!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Admitted with scholarship.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
@Victorinox: maybe you can begin the thread by saying why you chose to apply to Ivey? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
@Victorinox: maybe you can begin the thread by saying why you chose to apply to Ivey? :)

Hi Ducksworth,

I chose to apply to Richard Ivey, because it s the best in Canada, moreover whenever I interacted with anybody in the university, be it alumni or staff, I got positive vibes. The admission staff is very warm and go out of their way to reach out and stay in touch. I attended an MBA class of Ivey and liked he case study method. The high fees is a deterrent but everything else makes Ivey my 1st choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree with everything you wrote. I visited Ivey in May and I had a great experience. Let me tell you a few reasons that make me hesitate about applying to Ivey (maybe someone can comment on them):

• It does not have the possibility of doing a summer internship. My goal is to work for an IB at the end so this is a major concern.
  • I will be going with my wife, and London seems like a very small town. It would make more sense to go to Toronto or Montreal so that she can find a job.
  • Ivey and Western Ontario are not very well known brands outside Canada. I do not know where I will be working in 10 or 20 years’ time so this choice seems risky.

I also have other positive points about Ivey, on top of what you mentioned:
  • One year programme, which is great since I am married and "older".
  • Good choice of finance electives for the second half of the year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
I agree with everything you wrote. I visited Ivey in May and I had a great experience. Let me tell you a few reasons that make me hesitate about applying to Ivey (maybe someone can comment on them):

• It does not have the possibility of doing a summer internship. My goal is to work for an IB at the end so this is a major concern.
  • I will be going with my wife, and London seems like a very small town. It would make more sense to go to Toronto or Montreal so that she can find a job.
  • Ivey and Western Ontario are not very well known brands outside Canada. I do not know where I will be working in 10 or 20 years’ time so this choice seems risky.

Hi Ducksworth,

I agree it does not have a possibility of a summer internship, but the institute has a strong alumni network and a great brand value in Canada, so getting a job should not be a problem. I am not aware of London, so cannot comment on the possibility of your spouse getting a job. In fact I have a colleague working in the Zurich office who passed out of Ivey and according to her, If you are considering Canada, Ivey should be your first choice and Rotman a distant second...she advised me not to look beyond these two. Moreover the way the institute is trying to spread its wings and establish tie ups abroad... in 10 or 20 years you really never know where the brand name will take you... I am still to get the interview call, let's see how it goes. Will keep you posted. If I may ask, where else are you applying... and I am on the wrong side of 30...so I am not sure how much "older" can you possibly be than me :))
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Victorinox wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

Hi Ducksworth,

I agree it does not have a possibility of a summer internship, but the institute has a strong alumni network and a great brand value in Canada, so getting a job should not be a problem. I am not aware of London, so cannot comment on the possibility of your spouse getting a job. In fact I have a colleague working in the Zurich office who passed out of Ivey and according to her, If you are considering Canada, Ivey should be your first choice and Rotman a distant second...she advised me not to look beyond these two. Moreover the way the institute is trying to spread its wings and establish tie ups abroad... in 10 or 20 years you really never know where the brand name will take you... I am still to get the interview call, let's see how it goes. Will keep you posted. If I may ask, where else are you applying... and I am on the wrong side of 30...so I am not sure how much "older" can you possibly be than me :))

Hi there.
* I do have the same impression about Ivey >Rotman>>>>>the rest, at least within Canada. Although the reputation abroad might be Toronto > McGill > the rest. Notice I write the name of universities and not of business schools.
* I am applying only to 1 year programmes, and probably all will be in Europe unless I make up my mind about Ivey. Still finalising my list but will probably be a subset of Insead, IMD, and UK schools.
* I will be 33 in May.

Anyway, let's keep posting our impressions about Ivey. Good luck mate!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
krussell wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

London is a pretty happening town with a lot of Canadian head offices like 3M and McCormicks. Of course it isn't Toronto or Montreal, but I wouldn't expect it to be extremely difficult for your wife for a year.

Victoriknox, I wouldn't rule out Ivey because of high fees. Rotman's tuition is much higher to Ivey and Schulich's is comparable. That being said, you are iiving in a city where rent, entertainment, and transportation are much less than Toronto and only for one year. All in all, Ivey is a much better bargain in acrual dollar terms.

Ivey is considered a Toronto school and a lot of recruiters go out there, so don't worry about that aspect. It is difficult to take advantage of certain networking events in the GTA. That being said, most of us that go to the Toronto schools don't take advantage either.

One thing I know about Ivey is the class is very collegial, which brings good and bad qualities. You become closer with your classmates because everyone is from somewhere else and wants to make friends, but that also brings its fair share of interpersonal drama. I had a friend where the husband went to Ivey about six years ago and the wife lived with him. She went to Schulich in my class year (2010-2012) and she said it was a warmer experience to be at Ivey because no one was based in London for life. I don't know how much that plays into your decision, but it is certainly a positive in my eye.

Good luck this week!

Lots of great remarks. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Victorinox wrote:
Applied to Ivey in R1...Interview scheduled in the 2nd week of September.

Suggestions, tips, insights, solicited and will be highly appreciated.

Had my interview yesterday. The interviewer(Karen) was very friendly and the questions were centered mostly on the why's?...why job change, why mba, why ivey, post career plans, etc. It lasted for over 45 minutes and now I am waiting for the results..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Victorinox wrote:
Victorinox wrote:
Applied to Ivey in R1...Interview scheduled in the 2nd week of September.

Suggestions, tips, insights, solicited and will be highly appreciated.

Had my interview yesterday. The interviewer(Karen) was very friendly and the questions were centered mostly on the why's?...why job change, why mba, why ivey, post career plans, etc. It lasted for over 45 minutes and now I am waiting for the results..

Received the rejection mail today.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry mate. Maybe it's too soon, but once you've had time to see things with perspective, maybe you can share your opinions on why you think you were not successful. All the best.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
R3 applicant here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I have already been interviewed by Ivey and awaiting results..
Any idea whats the usual gap between the interview and the results?

Any pointers would be helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Latin American student - invited to interview
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
One of my recommenders asks if there is a word limit. I couldn't find this online. Any thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
krishnasty wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have already been interviewed by Ivey and awaiting results..
Any idea whats the usual gap between the interview and the results?

Any pointers would be helpful.

December 14th is decision day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Ivey '15 (A)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Dec 14 is the absoulte latest they will let you know but when I went for my interview about 3.5 weeks ago they told me I'd probably have a response in 3-4 weeks after the interview....Still haven't heard anything yet though.

Anyone that has had a R2 interview hear back one way or another yet?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts