Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Right Time to apply for MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 17:57
Hi everyone,

I need suggestions on whether I should apply for an MBA right now. My profile: I am currently working with Microsoft as a Software Engineer for the past 7 months. I graduated in May 2010 from Cornell University with a Bachelors degree. I am planning on applying for the class of 2012 but I am not sure whether B-schools would consider my application considering that I would have only a years work experience at the time of my application.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 22:05
Most B schools will expect that you have some work experience when you apply. However, a few schools are skewing towards younger applicants. You might want to try and post your query to the admissions consultants here. The things you will need to include: Your academic profile (GPA in Undergrad and GMAT), professional experience, extra-curricular involvement and an inkling of your post-MBA goals.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 09:46
Why do you want to leave Microsoft so quickly? You just started! Don't tell me that you're one of those IT to finance hopefuls again....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 07:07
An MBA at a top school is probably an unparalleled opportunity to catapult your career, and one of the most meaningful decisions one can make. An MBA from an elite school will not turn you into something you are not, but in today's job market it will put you in front of the right opportunities, which you can then capture using your own skills and strengths.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 21:22
The Candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree, awarded by any of the Universities incorporated by the Act of Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament.

Last edited by ismpatna on 19 Aug 2011, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Right Time to apply for MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 11:46
My suggestion is probably not to apply for MBA this year, unless you have a very specific and compelling reason to do so now. If the main reason you want to go to MBA is because you are feeling programming is not for you, then I say be patient. Average work experience is 5 years for students entering USA MBA schools. You just started work and your learning curve at Microsoft is nowhere near levelling off. The stuff you will learn at Microsoft in the next year or two is indeed enviable and special experience that many candidates to top MBA schools will wish they had, and the experience will most likely mature you and advance your insights before you have to make the big decisions in the MBA.

What you can do is start preparing and thinking about your MBA now, it's never too early for that. Learn about MBA career options. Learn about schools you might like. Start engaging into extracurricular and leadership activities that will make you attractive to MBA admissions committees, learn a new language, ask your boss to expose you to the business aspects of work at Microsoft. And enjoy your sweet-ass salary and lifestyle while you're young and before you decide to go crazy in investment banking.

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Re: Right Time to apply for MBA?   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2011, 11:46