Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 02:28
greenka wrote:
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

A)When unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
B)When not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
C)When they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
D)If not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
E) If not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead

I am wondering that Rising inventories is plural or singular? Could u pls explain to me? In the first place, I understand that Rising inventories is singular sub. Later, I get that N + N so the later noun is more important so it should be plural sub. But, now I read Sub-Verb agreement in Manhattan, it said that all subject phrases are singular. Foe example, Having good friends is a wonderful thing. Also, Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure. Why two examples are singular sub?? How they differ from Rising inventories??

Pls explain to me. I got confused so much. Thanks a lot!

I am still confused about the way "IF" is used in answer E.

I think after "IF" we have to use a full sentence. Is there any structure that allows us to use it in such a short form like this?

Hope to hear from you soon :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
see, here they are referring to a situation in which , it is more like a situation if X can lead to Y. whereas, when refers to a timeframe not a aparticular situation.
So A,B, C goes off...
now D & E left
In D , "increased Sales" more or less means a sale increase which has taken a place lead to a situation, which is not true. here it is an ongoing process.
So only E is left.
Hope that helps.
Give me a kudos if this helps

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:42
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
see, here they are referring to a situation in which , it is more like a situation if X can lead to Y. whereas, when refers to a timeframe not a aparticular situation.
So A,B, C goes off...
now D & E left
In D , "increased Sales" more or less means a sale increase which has taken a place lead to a situation, which is not true. here it is an ongoing process.
So only E is left.
Hope that helps.
Give me a kudos if this helps

Hi,
more to add.

how to determine whether the phrase like RISING INVENTORIES is singular or plural...

It depends on which of the two words is actually forming the subject.

For example,

Growing children need extra energy.
Planting trees is a good idea.
Slashing the deficit is essential.
Stunning shots were played.

And yes, not accompanied is a better way of expressing the negation.

take a look at this:

Removing inefficiencies is important (you CAN remove inefficiencies).
Having good friends is a wonderful thing. (your example, you CAN have friends)
Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure. (your example, you CAN read books)

and now,

Rising inventories leads to... (you CANNOT rise inventories... the correct word is raise)
Rising inventories lead to...

And yes, not accompanied is a better way of expressing the negation.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:46
Expert's post
thanks for the KUDOS shailesh, feels like I am actually getting the concepts of SC.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 22:42
@e-gmat is when the only reason to eliminate ans choice B. and what about the verb 'can lead' and 'leads'??

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 08:53
rajathpanta wrote:
@e-gmat is when the only reason to eliminate ans choice B. and what about the verb 'can lead' and 'leads'??

As everyone has explained that, we shud not use LEADS here.. because rising inventories is plural. so we need choice in which lead has been used.
So b is wrong also because of "leads" is used in this choice.

hope it helps

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 155

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 22:09
@egmat
While considering option B, I was able to identify that rising inventories needs a plural verb but as said by WaterFlowsUp is the use of "when" nonsensical?

(B) Rising inventories, when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

According to me, in the above sentence, when refers to a situation (noun event) which is correct.
"possibly leads" is incorrect as "rising inventories" needs a plural verb.

Please explain,with the context of above question, the difference between "if" and "when", if any.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [1] , given: 185

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
b2bt wrote:
@egmat
While considering option B, I was able to identify that rising inventories needs a plural verb but as said by WaterFlowsUp is the use of "when" nonsensical?

(B) Rising inventories, when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

According to me, in the above sentence, when refers to a situation (noun event) which is correct.
"possibly leads" is incorrect as "rising inventories" needs a plural verb.

Please explain,with the context of above question, the difference between "if" and "when", if any.

Hi b2bt,
Thank you for the post. :)

You have correctly said that “in the above sentence, when refers to a situation”. However there is a change in meaning if ‘when’ is replaced by ‘if’.
Let’s take two simple examples to understand:
When Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.
If Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.

Is there a difference in the meaning of the above sentences?
Yes, there is. The first sentence tells us about a certain event in the future, while the second one poses a condition. From the first sentence we know that the event of Joey coming to India is certain. So, Rahul will get to meet Joey. However, there is no such certainty in the second sentence.

Now, let’s look at option B:
• Rising inventories, when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

This sentence conveys the meaning that we are talking about some specific cases in which the rising inventories are not accompanied by something. However, from the context it seems that a condition and its result is presented by the sentence.
Also, there is one more error in option B as pointed out by you. So, the correct answer is option E.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 23:06
Hi guys. The confusion is between A and E.

The most important part of the question is the mood. Here we are talking about a subjunctive mood i.e. a hypothetical situation. The most important indicator of this type of mood is words such as would, were etc. used with a subject.

When we use a subjunctive mood, If should be preferred to when . Secondly, when denotes a particular time of the action which can be specific or close approximation. In this case, the action has not happened. Therefore, E is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 21:46
greenka wrote:
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

A)When unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
B)When not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
C)When they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
D)If not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
E) If not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead

I am wondering that Rising inventories is plural or singular? Could u pls explain to me? In the first place, I understand that Rising inventories is singular sub. Later, I get that N + N so the later noun is more important so it should be plural sub. But, now I read Sub-Verb agreement in Manhattan, it said that all subject phrases are singular. Foe example, Having good friends is a wonderful thing. Also, Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure. Why two examples are singular sub?? How they differ from Rising inventories??

Pls explain to me. I got confused so much. Thanks a lot!

Rise is intransitive verb, so you cannot say " Rise something" or "Rise the inventory"
Raising inventories will be used instead of rising inventories

So the main subject here is inventories :-D

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1474

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 17:25
Hi All,

Can someone guide me on the difference between the usage of "corresponding" and "correspondingly" here. I believe "increased" is a verb, therefore the usage of this modifier seems correct to me (option D).
Please comment
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 01:33
@e-gmat - Would need some help with Option A and E

A- Why in A the use of 'Correspondingly' said to be ambiguous.'Correspondingly' modify "unaccompanied" in A, which is a verb- What is the ambiguity here ?

D Apart from SVA error (Inventories/leads),Why is used of Correspondingly wrong here ?
I think correspondingly modify 'increased' in D, which is a adj...

So my question is why an adv(correspondingly) modify a verb(unaccompanied in choice A) and an adj(increased in choice D) wrong???
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2014, 01:33