Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 19:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:52) correct 27% (00:55) wrong based on 377 sessions
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

A)When unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
B)When not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
C)When they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
D)If not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
E) If not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead

I am wondering that Rising inventories is plural or singular? Could u pls explain to me? In the first place, I understand that Rising inventories is singular sub. Later, I get that N + N so the later noun is more important so it should be plural sub. But, now I read Sub-Verb agreement in Manhattan, it said that all subject phrases are singular. Foe example, Having good friends is a wonderful thing. Also, Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure. Why two examples are singular sub?? How they differ from Rising inventories??

Pls explain to me. I got confused so much. Thanks a lot!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
greenka wrote:
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

I am wondering that Rising inventories is plural or singular? Could u pls explain to me? In the first place, I understand that Rising inventories is singular sub. Later, I get that N + N so the later noun is more important so it should be plural sub. But, now I read Sub-Verb agreement in Manhattan, it said that all subject phrases are singular. Foe example, Having good friends is a wonderful thing. Also, Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure. Why two examples are singular sub?? How they differ from Rising inventories??

The reason lead is used, as opposed to leads, is because of the word "can" before lead. Lead is the correct verb when preceded by "can".

For example.

The boy can lead us to the championship.
The boys can lead us to the championship.

Both are correct because of the use of "can" before lead.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 20:09
lagomez wrote:
greenka wrote:

The reason lead is used, as opposed to leads, is because of the word "can" before lead. Lead is the correct verb when preceded by "can".

For example.

The boy can lead us to the championship.
The boys can lead us to the championship.

Both are correct because of the use of "can" before lead.

Thanks! I got your point but I don't understand that in OG11 & 12 said that rising inventories are plural sub which does not agree with "leads" so eliminated B & D. Why OG said that rising inventories are plural while in Manhattan, it said that all subject phrases are singular.

For example, Having good friends is a wonderful thing. Also, Reading books gives us knowledge and pleasure.

so rising inventories is subject phase. It should be singular sub and can use "leads" ????
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [5] , given: 1

Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
E for me too....
Here we have a condition... so use of if is necessary...
this eliminates options A,B and C...
Between D and E.. corresponding is an adjective modiifying a noun...correspondingly requires verb... we see no verb next to correspondingly... This eliminates D...

:)
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [2] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
+1 E

"when" is for periods of time (dates, decades, etc.). A, B, and C out.
The modifiers of sales are wrong.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 12:31
E. Properly uses the If not......then format.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Rising inventories is plural because inventories is plural. In this sentence, rising acts as adjective. It just describes the noun - inventories.

This usage is different from the following usage

eating healthy foods is good.
Here eating represents an action. This action is performed on the thing - healthy foods.
This complete expression constitutes a phrase which now is singular.
Also note that the complete subject is "eating healthy foods", where "eating" is an action performed on "healthy foods"

On the other hand, when you say rising inventories lead to..., the subject of the sentence is inventories. Now "rising" only describes these inventories.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Aman
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 21:11
inventories is plural, E is the answer
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [4] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 00:32
This post received
KUDOS
Rising inventories, blah blah, can lead to blah blah.

We can re-write this sentence as 'Inventories that are rising blah blah can lead to ...
Hence, inventories is the subject and rising is an adjective.

Having good friends is a wonderful thing.

We cannot re-write this as, 'Friends that we have are wonderful things'. This sentence has a different meaning.
Here, the subject is not friends. The subject is 'having good friends'.
Hence, it is a noun phrase. And 'Rising inventories' is not.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 01:31
rising inventories is plural.
between A & E , I go for E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
greenka wrote:

Hi,
Please see below post, we had a good discussion over this topic. Please don't forget kudos if you like my effort.
sc-1000-821-1000-clarification-60651.html#p952183

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Rising inventories plural or singular?? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 21:31
IMO E.
E is the only option that uses the correct conditional indicator, further it also uses the adverb to modify the adjective in the proper format
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 07:18
E

Rising inventories is plural noun

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is E for this question:

A. Upon reading this answer choice in the sentence, I found it very confusing and awkward. First, I noticed that the word "when" is used. Usually "when" modifies a time or date, but it in this case, it is modifying the noun "inventories." Since I wasn't sure if this was correct or not, I kept looking for other mistakes. I noticed that "correspondingly" is used as an adverb, but what word is it modifying? This seemed ambiguous to me. Finally, the use of unaccompanied did not sound right. Therefore, I ruled out this answer choice.

B. The subject "rising inventories" does not agree with the singular verb "leads."

C. The use of "were" suggests that this event or statement took place in the past and is no longer valid in the current time frame. This cannot be true since the main verb of the sentence is "can lead" suggesting that it is a general statement that continues into the present.

D. There is a problem with subject verb agreement here.

E. This answer seemed to be the correct choice. The sentence has changed the adverb "correspondingly" into an adjective "corresponding." The use of the adjective here makes more sense. There is no subject verb agreement error and no tense issues.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 23:29
Here the correct answer is C. As there is a condition "If" should be used. Ans choices D and E are close. But E is correct as D uses correspondingly which actually requires a verb after it. Since there is no verb after "correspondingly" D is wrong.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 11:36
I got the reason for the correct answer though would like to know, why we need "that" in the non-underlined part? Am I correct in assuming that it refers to "production cutbacks" which is plural?
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1064

Kudos [?]: 2541 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 06:20
Expert's post
mikeworld wrote:
I got the reason for the correct answer though would like to know, why we need "that" in the non-underlined part? Am I correct in assuming that it refers to "production cutbacks" which is plural?

Hi mikeworld,

I don't know if you are still looking for the naswer, but here it is nonetheless. :)

Yes, "that" in the non-underlined portion refers to the receding noun entity "production outbacks". This is needed to suggest that "production cutbacks" hamper economic growth.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:35
Expert's post
In this problem, you can just pass through D and E(saves at least 20-30 seconds if not more), because I was under the impression that "when" for GMAT is best used to modify a location or time period. In this case, when is modifying "rising inventories".

Consider a Kudos if you like this post

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 196

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:54
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
In this problem, you can just pass through D and E(saves at least 20-30 seconds if not more), because I was under the impression that "when" for GMAT is best used to modify a location or time period. In this case, when is modifying "rising inventories".

Consider a Kudos if you like this post

hi,

first of all choices A/B/C are not wrong because of the use of WHEN....,,rather there are some other errors.
second WHEN is not used to refer to a location...

this is an Official Question....so will suggest you to go through the explanation of OG s THOUROUGHLY....it will defenetely help you.
value official questions....dont try to use your impression in eliminating answer choices.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:22
Expert's post
thanks a lot shailesh for the guidance. it really helped

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 22:22