Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:45) correct 23% (00:52) wrong based on 60 sessions
Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

(A) when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
(B) when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads
(C) when they were unaccompanied by corresponding sales increases, can lead
(D) if not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads
(E) if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead

Okay, so I narrowed by answers down to A, C, or E because the correct form is "can lead". C is incorrect because of the word "were", which I can understand, but I got confused between A and E. I don't understand why A is wrong... the OG says that "unaccompanied correspondingly" is awkward and ambigious but it doesn't seem that way to me.... any comments?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
Its because, we have to use adjective (i.e. corresponding) instead of adverb (i.e. correspondingly) so that it can modify the noun - sales .

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 09:00
amp0201 wrote:
Its because, we have to use adjective (i.e. corresponding) instead of adverb (i.e. correspondingly) so that it can modify the noun - sales .

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

Makes so much more sense now! Thank you :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 10:18
E for me.

correspondingly - adverb modifier to a verb, an adverb, an adjective, a clause, a phrase or a sentence

corresponding - adjective modifier to a noun.

Here corresponding can modify sales (noun) not correspondingly
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
SnehaC wrote:
Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

Okay, so I narrowed by answers down to A, C, or E because the correct form is "can lead". C is incorrect because of the word "were", which I can understand, but I got confused between A and E. I don't understand why A is wrong... the OG says that "unaccompanied correspondingly" is awkward and ambigious but it doesn't seem that way to me.... any comments?

The solution lies in understanding what meaning the sentence is trying to communicate.
The sentence means that
IF INVENTORIES RISE,then sales should INCREASE by the SAME quantity.
If Inventories increase by a huge proportion, then sales should increase by a huge proportion too (not small proportion) else there will be cutbacks in production.
so we are trying to modify the "increase in sales" not sales not unaccompanied but the "increase in sales"
so E

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:36
This post received
KUDOS
SnehaC wrote:

Please note :

where - (pronoun for place)
when - (pronoun for time)

Just to add on....There is no referrant to "WHEN" in A B and C so these 3 can be eliminated.

Eg: The years when the "flower children" thrived, was a colorful decade. CORRECT

Eg: The city where the "flower children" lived, is a colorful city

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1140 Q670 V370
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 05:23
My Answer is E and here is why

(A) when unaccompanied {Awkward }correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead
(B) when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads { plural need singular}
(C) when they were {plural }unaccompanied {Awkward }by corresponding sales increases, can lead
(D) if not accompanied by correspondingly {unnecesssary }increased sales, possibly leads

Kudos if you like my answer

Difficult things take a long time. impossible things take a little longer

Thanks for reading my post Kudos to me if you like my response:)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: OG12 SC #12 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 05:34
amp0201 wrote:

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

description is incorrect, corresponding modifies prepositional phrase increases in sales and not only sales
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 20:59
Choice A: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks.
To determine whether the modifier "correspondingly" is placed appropriately or not, read the sentence and ask yourself, what should correspondingly modify.

Thought process: Inventories are rising...the sentence indicates that if these rising inventories are not accompanied by increases in sales, then something happens...So rising inventories-corresponding increases in sales. Thus, corresponding should modify the increases in sales.

Now, lets check what "correspondingly" modifies - it seems to modify the verb - unaccompanied and hence the placement is not correct.

Choice D: Rising inventories, is not accompanied by correspondingly increased sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks.
In this sentence, correspondingly modifies increased sales. However, notice that in the original sentence, the author is talking about trends - rising inventories and increases in sales. Choice D, on the other hand, talks about trend in inventories but a specific value of sales - INCREASED sales. Thus, it does not communicate the intended meaning of the original sentence. And hence is incorrect.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Re: Rising Inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2012, 20:59