Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2010
Posts: 84
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - 700,000 artisans in 36 years [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 07:06
This is from GMAT prep test and it is correct question. OG question is little different from this
"It" is not needed hence answer is C
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - 700,000 artisans in 36 years [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 00:40
solidcolor wrote:
Yup... The sentence is a bad one.

I took C. Anyone thinks B is the right answer???



Yes B seems to me as the right answer
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 185
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 103

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 21:27
The correct ans is C. Please edit the OA given in this question.( it is a repetition of OG12/61 with different ans choices)
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years



A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them- them is wrong for pointing to Army, also pronoun use is bad here
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it- using it sentence beomes
The Sculpture took Y men 4 hours to complete it.- in the same caluse i can't use one noun two times that too as sub and as obj

C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete

D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete the construction becomes a new IC, we need comma before and . also we need pronoun to refer the THE ARMY


E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 yearswrong construction [/quote]
_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:02
sujit2k7 wrote:
The correct ans is C. Please edit the OA given in this question.( it is a repetition of OG12/61 with different ans choices)
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years



A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them- them is wrong for pointing to Army, also pronoun use is bad here
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it- using it sentence beomes
The Sculpture took Y men 4 hours to complete it.- in the same caluse i can't use one noun two times that too as sub and as obj

C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete

D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete the construction becomes a new IC, we need comma before and . also we need pronoun to refer the THE ARMY


E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 yearswrong construction
[/quote]

OA should be B
the explanation of B you give is different than what this sentence means....
The Sculpture ...... complete it - definitely incorrect
but in this sentence: the army .....complete - the army did not complete nothing, it is the artisans who took x time to complete it (building the army)

Experts please advise if my I understood correctly
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 1638 [0], given: 249

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 02:15
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This thread seems to have originated from GMAT Prep and then adopted by OG. All the same, the original version seems to be

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

But the OA is not A; The actual answer is C, per MGMAT

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them – The subject is the army, referring to a collection antiques. It is a collective noun and singular, as corroborated by the verb “is”. Let’s also not mistake “created” for a verb; it is just a past participle. The pronoun “ them”, an object pronoun, is a problem here; it is plural but earlier its referent was verbed by a singular; so, A is out.


B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it – The subject is the army; but the pronoun “it” is redundant; It is good enough to say, that the army took more than 700,000 artisans to complete

C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete --- the subject is again the army and the choice simply skirts the vexing pronoun issue, by altogether dropping it. This is the most concise choice.


D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete------ In this choice, the subject changes to 700,00 artisans and although the clause is perfect technically, still the second clause is not connected to the main theme and one is tempted to ask “to complete what?”

E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years --- them is a wrong pronoun.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 05:10
daagh wrote:
This thread seems to have originated from GMAT Prep and then adopted by OG. All the same, the original version seems to be

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

But the OA is not A; The actual answer is C, per MGMAT

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them – The subject is the army, referring to a collection antiques. It is a collective noun and singular, as corroborated by the verb “is”. Let’s also not mistake “created” for a verb; it is just a past participle. The pronoun “ them”, an object pronoun, is a problem here; it is plural but earlier its referent was verbed by a singular; so, A is out.


B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it – The subject is the army; but the pronoun “it” is redundant; It is good enough to say, that the army took more than 700,000 artisans to complete

C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete --- the subject is again the army and the choice simply skirts the vexing pronoun issue, by altogether dropping it. This is the most concise choice.


D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete------ In this choice, the subject changes to 700,00 artisans and although the clause is perfect technically, still the second clause is not connected to the main theme and one is tempted to ask “to complete what?”

E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years --- them is a wrong pronoun.


Sir, can you please help me understand if there is any other issue with choice B apart from the pronoun (which I think is not incorrect but you are right in saying C is more concise than B)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 1638 [0], given: 249

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 05:34
Expert's post
except for the pronoun issue, I would pass B.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 231
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 21:29
bev wrote:
Sir, can you please help me understand if there is any other issue with choice B apart from the pronoun (which I think is not incorrect but you are right in saying C is more concise than B)


Well, it is the only difference between B and C. So, if you agree that C is better, then there cannot be anything else wrong in B (except the it): )

By the way, this redundant pronoun phenomenon is actually quite prominently tested. This is from Verbal supplement:

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of techno-logical stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.

them is redundant here.

Let me know if you want more official examples of this nature.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 337
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 11:00
Expert's post
Please remove the question as it is not correct and displays an incorrect statistics on the difficulty level
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 59
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: SC - 700,000 artisans in 36 years [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 08:14
maddy2u wrote:
It is similar to this : " The movie "The Simpsons" took 500 people 3 weeks to complete.

'It' is redundant as the subject takes care of 'it' .




The movie "The Simpsons" took 500 people 3 weeks to complete.

this is slightly unclear,

The move "x" took y to complete what?

The move "x" took y to complete music, screening etc, but that?
atleast IT would refer to itself.

experts please help here.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 140
Location: India
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 11:30
I feel "it" used in choice B is redundant.

the army of terra-cotta warriors took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it.
the army of terra-cotta warriors took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

It is not correct to say "the project took 100 days to complete it". What did the project complete?
Rather using "the project took 100 days to complete" is right as it implies the project itself took 100 days for completion.

Correct me if I am wrong.
_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 249
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 01:16
solidcolor wrote:
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China’s first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them.

A. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete them
B. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete it
C. took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete
D. 700,000 artisans took more than 36 years to complete
E. to complete them took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years


"the army... is.... and..." that's what you should focus on.

Pronouns at the end are erroneous and redundant, we already know that we're talking about the army, so B gone (also it's a bit ambigous as to what "it" refers to). A is gone right off the bat because it uses plural form.

D has meanings error, the artisants didnt "take" years, it took them x years to complete the army. So D is gone

E has wrong pronoun, erroneously uses "to", and has other problems.

C is clear, concise, to the point and CORRECT!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 59

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 08:47
C Correct. The opening phrase correctly modifies the subject, the army of terra-cotta warriors; the placement of
modifiers and predicates in the main clause makes the meaning of the sentence clear.
_________________

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 159
Location: Canada
GMAT Date: 10-16-2014
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 77

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 20:43
q10nik wrote:
Let's strip the sentence down a little:

The army... is <something>... and took <some people> more than 36 years to complete... (it?)

The army took <some people> more than 36 years to complete.
The army took <some people> more than 36 years to complete it.

What does "it" refer to - what was being completed? The army. So the second sentence reads:
The army took some people more than 36 years to complete the army.

Did the army take a certain amount of time to complete itself? No. The army took some time to complete. So we don't want to mention the army again at the end of the sentence.


'it' cannot refer back to army, we use reflexive pronoun 'itself' to refer back to the subject.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Location: India
GMAT Date: 09-10-2013
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 40

Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 04:19
is there any problem with the OA. Since it sort of says the army took ... to complete itself.
i go for D.
Re: Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2014, 04:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of Bibli 5 30 Dec 2011, 17:55
9 Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of marshpa 42 18 Jul 2008, 15:20
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of jerrywu 0 01 Sep 2006, 21:51
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of 2times 0 01 Sep 2006, 21:51
Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of pb_india 4 16 Jan 2005, 19:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.