Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 03 May 2015, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 134
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 208 [6] , given: 33

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 09:55
6
This post received
KUDOS
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:37) correct 40% (00:49) wrong based on 1209 sessions
sravanth wrote:
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are



Rock samples ---> plural subject. hence has been is incorrect and have been in correct.
Eliminate A and B.

Dated at is the correct idiom. hence E.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.



Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 307
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 574 [5] , given: 2

Re: Rock samples [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 18:01
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are ANSWER

The subject 'rock samples' is plural so both the verb after 'dinosaurs', 'have', and the verb before 'evidence', 'are', have to be plural.

The correct idiom is 'dated at.'

Hope that helps :).
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 05:58
easy breezy.. idiom usage. DATED AT and not dated to be.. therefore A, C and D out. Out of B and E , B uses HAS whereas samples-the subject is plural
There fore E is best.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Bouncing back from failure
Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 103
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 00:58
dvinoth86 wrote:
sravanth wrote:
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

(A) has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is
(B) has been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus
(C) have been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus are
(D) have been dated as being 3.47 billion years old and thus
(E) have been dated at 3.47 billion years old and thus are



Rock samples ---> plural subject. hence has been is incorrect and have been in correct.
Eliminate A and B.

Dated at is the correct idiom. hence E.


Removing all the flabs i.e. here is the main sentence.

Rock samples ....[taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid tha......]has been dated to be 3.47 billion years old and thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth

Rock samples is plural subject hence , 'Have' & 'are' required, dated to be - incorrect idiom usage.
Hence A, B eliminated
C Dated to be is wron indiom
D verb is missing

E - corrects Sub- verb agreement error and Idiom usage

Concept tested : SVA, IDIOM
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 503
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 248 [1] , given: 58

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 09:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE


_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 249
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 10:47
Clearly, the ideom "dated AT" messed with me, for me it seems as if the dating of rock samples are happening AT some location when we use "dated AT".. Apparently though, it is the correct ideomatic usage and thus I stand corrected. (I picked C)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 03:57
Appreciate if anybody can please suggest me the source of most comprehensive Idiom list.
Somehow I have got lot of lists but not sure which one is best suited

Thanks
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 182
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 56

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 04:42
ardhenduchasing wrote:
Appreciate if anybody can please suggest me the source of most comprehensive Idiom list.
Somehow I have got lot of lists but not sure which one is best suited

Thanks


GMAC has moved away from testing SC solely on the basis of idioms. But still, you can go through the lists (no harm)

Please complete the below one and then proceed to others.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

gmat-idioms-comprehensive-list-of-gmat-idioms-80342.html
_________________

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 129
Schools: IIMA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 22:55
Rock samples -subject so have

"dated at" is correct idiom so E is good :)
_________________

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 01:29
The correct idiom is 'dated at.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 49

CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2014, 12:12
Please Help !! (Kudos for clear reply)

I am very confused on the usage of the idiom DATED AT vs DATED TO BE,

Although, i thought that DATED AT was prefered on the Gmat, I've seen both of them as right answer !!!(see link from gmatprep test2 qn 2)
I am a non native and it confuses me,
Is there a tip to choose correctly beetween the two ?
Do you have any link to an discussion, expert explanation, or else on that ?

Thank you very much !
Quentin
Attachments

gmat Q1.doc [67 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 114
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 256

CAT Tests
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2015, 22:59
Dated at is the correct idiom.

Wish dated at was replaced with estimated to be... :) :)
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 59

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2015, 12:32
OG explanation for choice C says: ' the conjunction and thus should be followed by a verb'.

I am wondering why do we necessarily need a verb after 'and thus'. Can't we think of 'have been' as the verb of the 'and thus'?!

... have been dated at ... and thus [have been: implied] evidence

Is there also a tense problem?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 65
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 02:43
apolo wrote:
OG explanation for choice C says: ' the conjunction and thus should be followed by a verb'.

I think you are referring to choice B, because choice C already has a verb "are" after "thus"

Quote:
I am wondering why do we necessarily need a verb after 'and thus'. Can't we think of 'have been' as the verb of the 'and thus'?!

... have been dated at ... and thus [have been: implied] evidence

Is there also a tense problem?

Yes, I believe that in that case there would indeed be a tense problem, because we need to use "simple present", since this is applicable even now, because these "rock samples" still "are" evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 59

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 03:30
VerbalHow wrote:
apolo wrote:
OG explanation for choice C says: ' the conjunction and thus should be followed by a verb'.

I think you are referring to choice B, because choice C already has a verb "are" after "thus"

Quote:
I am wondering why do we necessarily need a verb after 'and thus'. Can't we think of 'have been' as the verb of the 'and thus'?!

... have been dated at ... and thus [have been: implied] evidence

Is there also a tense problem?

Yes, I believe that in that case there would indeed be a tense problem, because we need to use "simple present", since this is applicable even now, because these "rock samples" still "are" evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.


Sorry. Actually I am referring to Choice D, which has the plural verb.

Apart from tense problem, OG says that we need a verb. But why 'have been' can not perform as the verb for this part? Perhaps because then the whole verb ' have been dated' should be the implied verb for the second part. :?:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 65
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 05:24
apolo wrote:
Sorry. Actually I am referring to Choice D, which has the plural verb.

Apart from tense problem, OG says that we need a verb. But why 'have been' can not perform as the verb for this part? Perhaps because then the whole verb ' have been dated' should be the implied verb for the second part. :?:

Same thing. "have been evidence" would be present perfect and incorrect here. It should be simple present ("are").
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 59

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 07:17
VerbalHow wrote:
apolo wrote:
Sorry. Actually I am referring to Choice D, which has the plural verb.

Apart from tense problem, OG says that we need a verb. But why 'have been' can not perform as the verb for this part? Perhaps because then the whole verb ' have been dated' should be the implied verb for the second part. :?:

Same thing. "have been evidence" would be present perfect and incorrect here. It should be simple present ("are").


Yes, but contrary to what you say, OG explanation does not say that we have a tense problem in choice D; it says that we do not essentially have a verb for 'evidence'.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 65
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 08:02
apolo wrote:
Yes, but contrary to what you say, OG explanation does not say that we have a tense problem in choice D; it says that we do not essentially have a verb for 'evidence'.

We must come to terms with the fact that OG explanations are not "very descriptive" (perhaps by intent).

So, when OG says very is "missing", what it perhaps means is that there is not "proper verb" ("are"); I mean if we "assume" the presence of "have been evidence", then the sentence is anyway incorrect (from a "tense" angle).

So, in the present form of the sentence, there really is "no" verb present. I don't see anything "contrary" in this.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 59

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 11:05
VerbalHow wrote:
apolo wrote:
Yes, but contrary to what you say, OG explanation does not say that we have a tense problem in choice D; it says that we do not essentially have a verb for 'evidence'.

We must come to terms with the fact that OG explanations are not "very descriptive" (perhaps by intent).

So, when OG says very is "missing", what it perhaps means is that there is not "proper verb" ("are"); I mean if we "assume" the presence of "have been evidence", then the sentence is anyway incorrect (from a "tense" angle).

So, in the present form of the sentence, there really is "no" verb present. I don't see anything "contrary" in this.


Suppose that instead of 'thus is evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth', we had 'my toys for several days'.

Do you think that then, choice D would be correct, ignoring the idiom used?

There are two ways to think about this question:
1. Yes. 'Have been' can be the understood verb of the second part: 'and [have been] my toys for several days.'
2. No. 'Have been dated' is the verb of the first part and hence we have: 'and [have been dated] my toys for several days', which does not make sense.

I am wondering which view is correct?!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 65
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 9

Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2015, 21:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
apolo wrote:
There are two ways to think about this question:
1. Yes. 'Have been' can be the understood verb of the second part: 'and [have been] my toys for several days.'
2. No. 'Have been dated' is the verb of the first part and hence we have: 'and [have been dated] my toys for several days', which does not make sense.

My understanding is that we cannot interpret it in the second way, but we can wait for expert comments on this.
Re: Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2015, 21:21

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid Mission2012 7 07 Oct 2013, 04:27
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about souvik101990 20 21 Sep 2012, 22:51
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about souvik101990 13 05 Aug 2012, 12:16
Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about TomB 3 02 Mar 2012, 14:20
1 Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about MA 15 18 Jul 2006, 19:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.