Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 696

Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 16:28
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:16) correct 23% (00:13) wrong based on 117 sessions
Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on the planet.

A) to be the best tennis player on the planet
B) as the best tennis player on the planet
C) as being the best tennis player on the planet
D) to be the best tennis player in the planet
E) as the best tennis player in the planet

In this scenario "as" should not be LIKE because a verb do not follow ?? or here the meaning is: Roger Federer is regarder as the best tennis player on the planet IS REGARDED.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Like Vs AS [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 17:09
Your question is not very clear, so I am not sure how to answer it. All in all, it's an idiom question, so you might want to look up the usage in Verbal section in GC (or any other standard verbal book).

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post

Re: Like Vs AS [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 01:36
Expert's post
subhashghosh wrote:
Your question is not very clear, so I am not sure how to answer it. All in all, it's an idiom question, so you might want to look up the usage in Verbal section in GC (or any other standard verbal book).

Hi subhashghosh

My question is (sorry if I was not clear, I thought yes): I know the difference between Like and As but in this SC the correct idiom is regarded as.....so the answer is B.

My doubt is: in B as the best tennis player on the planet aside the question about the idiom we can use LIKE instead of as ?? because after as we do not have a verb . I't is only a doubt

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2278 [0], given: 31

Re: Like Vs AS [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 10:31
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on the planet.
A) to be the best tennis player on the planet
B) as the best tennis player on the planet
C) as being the best tennis player on the planet
D) to be the best tennis player in the planet
E) as the best tennis player in the planet

In this scenario "as" should not be LIKE because a verb do not follow ?? or here the meaning is: Roger Federer is regarder as the best tennis player on the planet IS REGARDED.

Dear Carcass:

This question is totally about idioms. It has nothing to do with the standard "like" vs. "as" distinction, used in comparisons. Yes, in a comparison, we use "as" when it's about an action and involves a verb, and we use "like" for nouns. This is NOT a comparison at all. It's all about what idiom correctly follows the verb "to regard".

Correct: I regard X as Y.
The verb "to regard" is always followed by a prepositional phrase beginning with preposition "as" --- this prepositional phrase shows the how the object is regarded.

Incorrect: I regard X as being Y.posting.php?mode=quote&f=138&p=1121378#
Incorrect: I regard X to be Y. posting.php?mode=quote&f=138&p=1121378#
The verb "to regard" is never followed by the infinitive "to be" and is never followed by the participle "being". Those are both 100% wrong.

Right away, that idiom eliminates answers (A) & (C) & (D) --- all wrong. That leave (B) and (E), which are almost identical, except for the ending ....
(B) .... the best tennis player on the planet
(E) .... the best tennis player in the planet

This is another idiom. The phrase "on the planet" is used in general for "everyone in the world", "all people alive today". That is a very common idiom. By contrast, the phrase "in the planet" is awkward and unclear --- are we talking about people inside the earth? are we talking about dead people who are buried? It's very unclear even what that phrase would mean in context. It is awkward and unclear, whereas "on the planet" is standard and completely clear.

Therefore (E) is wrong, and (B) is the only possible answer.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post

Re: Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 14:17
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 04:13
I love roger federer and I got this question right :) Analogy- You love something you will get it right :P

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 04:05
The correct idiom is regarded as

: Another question testing the idiom is

Because of the business community’s uncertainty about the President’s position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occurred.

(A) in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
(B) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
(C) regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
(D) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
(E) regarding the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rats have

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS :-)

Re: Roger Federer is regarded to be the best tennis player on   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 04:05