Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Role of personal struggle narrative in Essays and Statement of Purpose [#permalink]
Kudos
devilzsoul wrote:
Cycle14, Happy New year

Thanks for this- Truly appreciate your input on this. I feel the same way on the issue. I am a sum of my personal and professional experiences and achievements. I am quite agitated with my consultant on this.

Not sure if I can change the consultant and/or company half way through the process.

I will pick it up with the consultant and will try to put a stake in ground regarding this

Regards

Good luck and going with your gut on this would be my advice. At the end of the day it's your application, if you're worried I'd reach out to Haas admissions. When I was going through the application process I found that admissions staff were very helpful at calibrating concerns - not just Haas either. I didn't use a consultant, but ended up finding a couple of really good friends who knew me well that had also been through business school to help be my editors and advisors. The hard part is you need people who will tell you absolutely and honestly what they think and not try to just make you feel good about your application. Learning to be vulnerable and embrace your uncertainties is a part of the journey anyway - might as well start now!

cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Role of personal struggle narrative in Essays and Statement of Purpose [#permalink]
Cycle14 wrote:
Good luck and going with your gut on this would be my advice. At the end of the day it's your application, if you're worried I'd reach out to Haas admissions. When I was going through the application process I found that admissions staff were very helpful at calibrating concerns - not just Haas either. I didn't use a consultant, but ended up finding a couple of really good friends who knew me well that had also been through business school to help be my editors and advisors. The hard part is you need people who will tell you absolutely and honestly what they think and not try to just make you feel good about your application. Learning to be vulnerable and embrace your uncertainties is a part of the journey anyway - might as well start now!

cheers!

Cycle14 Now that I am going through the process, I see the value of your advise. I dont have a problem sorting out honest opinion. I do have a problem of putting a face that is not me - this is what the consultant is making me do. EMBA is a path of improvement for me not a piece of paper. so if the real me is not what MBA Adcom wants, I would much rather have that outcome than misrepresenting myself.

I will also reach out to the Admission staff for a quick discussion.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
devilzsoul wrote:
Happy New year,

Background: 17 years of work experience in technology Consulting, technology and Global expansion of startups and Fortune 500 companies. Have done Masters in IT and completed multiple certifications in Technology I am in process for applying for EMBA to MIT and Berkley. I have a hired a consultant from a well known consulting firm to help me through the process.

While writing the Essays and Statement of purpose, my consultant wants to focus only on the professional aspect of my life and what my future professional plans are. I am arguing the point that my life has seen many personal struggles (things like immigration due to war, family strife, personal struggles) that I successfully overcame and continued my walk towards the top.

Question to community: Does it matter in EMBA to discuss personal struggles and the way I overcame them? Or does it make no difference considering that the people applying for EMBA have already done a lot in their life and AdCom is more interested in professional examples and professional success? Granted that none of the essays have more then 500-700 words and succinct explanation of success is paramount.

I will appreciate input of community to help me decide that how much of personal life should be a part of my essays/statement of purpose or a pure focus on my professional achievements is what AdCom will be more interested in.

I use personal stories all the time in applications and they work very well if done right. Berkeley is especially interested in this so I recommend trying to include that if they are strong enough. Good luck and you should let your voice come through in the applications. I definitely would not keep it 100% professional though if you can avoid it. I feel quite strong about that too....

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Role of personal struggle narrative in Essays and Statement of Purpose [#permalink]
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
I use personal stories all the time in applications and they work very well if done right. Berkeley is especially interested in this so I recommend trying to include that if they are strong enough. Good luck and you should let your voice come through in the applications. I definitely would not keep it 100% professional though if you can avoid it. I feel quite strong about that too....

Best,
Scott

PersonalMBACoach

Scott, thanks for the input. So how do you go about striking a balance between Personal and Professional stories? Majority of the essays are 500-600 words. Which means that succinct expression is paramount. is there a system that you apply to see which story will make more sense
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think you could definitely talk about personal struggles. In general, I would advise folks to think less about what other students may or may not be doing and focus on telling the best story for themselves. If you have a really unique story that defines who you are, you should share that. There will be plenty of time to talk about professional successes on your resume and through the interview process. Good luck to you!
GMAT Club Bot