Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) :

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q36 V47
GPA: 3.2
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
The Roller Coaster ride finally ended on Thursday with a 710. (Q49, V38). It was a good score considering that I rescheduled the paper from the 29th (as I had score 690 on my first Gmat Prep). So I think the delay worked in breaking the psychological barrier of 700. :-D

The result is even more satisfying because when I first gave a CAT (the Princeton one) I had scored a 560. This was in March last year. I couldn’t believe it, as I knew that I wasn’t at that level, couldn’t be. Well, you could call it arrogance but I decided that I would make a case for myself by crossing 700. Unfortunately, because of work I couldn’t give the Gmat any attention, until October end when I took a sabbatical from work for this.

Before, I go ahead with a debrief, I want to thank everyone out here. I seldom posted, but used a lot of stuff that people recommended here. Someone mailed me some prep material, am very thankful to him; my verbal score is due to you.
The following is my way of trying to give back something to all of you guys. Hope the debrief helps. Even if it helps one.. (the beauty contest speech… :wink: )

The following are the sources I referred to, with my two cents on each – (in order of preference)

1. Official GMAC stuff –
a. OG 11 –(9/10) BhagvadGita/Bible/ Koran/et-al all rolled into one (wrt the GMAT). As the questions are from real GMATs, one cant question its assessment.
Caveat - my suggestion; don’t start your prep with OG. Use other study references to build your base/ knowledge/ skill level. And then attack the OG.

b. Gmat Prep – (10/10; w/ +/- 30% SD ;) ) - its SD is supposed to be +/- 30. I’m glad that’s the case. Inspite of the 690 on it a couple of days prior to the exam, I used this data point to pep myself up.
Caveat – None (except the SD) well, you cant question it. Some CATS can be too tough, some too easy; but GMAT prep, wys-i-wyg; what you see is what you get.

2. Kaplan
a. Kaplan Premier 2009 (9/10) – The best place to learn quant if you want to ace it. (who doesn’t, I nearly did). Nearly all topics are covered in here; with a good workout on the different levels of problems. The fact that its quant is tough actually works in favor of someone who wants to do well in the final exam.
The content on CD – Takes tough to a different level. The first RC set I did; I completed less that 70% questions in time. By the end of the 4th set, I was back to my best in RC. Cant thank Kaplan guys enough.

b. Kaplan 800 – (7/10) – This book was recommended to me if I wanted to do really well. I am sorry, it did little for me. The verbal was especially disappointing. Very little was introduced which was covered in the other Kaplan material.
It cant stand alone as a prep material because it doesn’t really cover the concepts. And as a very high difficulty level source, it has limited content.

3. Manhattan
I only used a couple of selective material published by Manhattan. Here’s the lowdown on them–

a. Sentence Correction guide (12/10) – I have no idea how I could have got any sort of hold over the GMAT SC if it weren’t for this book. It explains SC just perfectly. Everyone praises it, I have nothing new to add. I just wish I had time enough to use the other study material that Manhattan publishes.

b. Online content (8.5/10) – I bought the quant challenges. Boy are they tough. I’d recommend this over Kaplan 800 anytime.
I also used their CATs; I think they do a very good job. Especially with the analysis and explanations. Though I couldn’t use them completely as I got a little paranoid, in hindsight I should have.

4. Princeton Cracking the GMAT (5/10) – If Cracking 500 is your goal then this book will be of help. If you aim higher, stay away. For me, the best use of the book were the CATs; that too for building up stamina.

Well that’s the stuff I used.

Will add some stuff later on how I approached the GMAT in the light of the fact that I had only a couple of months to start my prep from scratch. Till then heres how I scored on various CATs I gave.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 12:23
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!!!!!! :-D Devilsown,
With this score I am sure you will get into your dream school.

I have so many things common with you: area of concentration, choice of schools, month of taking GMAT etc.
I hope I will be able to get a similar score on 29th Jan. I have scored two 700s in my last two GMAT preps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 12:39
sandipchowdhury wrote:
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!!!!!! :-D Devilsown,
With this score I am sure you will get into your dream school.

I have so many things common with you: area of concentration, choice of schools, month of taking GMAT etc.
I hope I will be able to get a similar score on 29th Jan. I have scored two 700s in my last two GMAT preps.

thanks sandip. with nearly 20 days in hand am sure you'll beat my score; best of luck.. :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 14:30
Congratulations and thanks for the advice!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Emory

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 13:17
Congrats on the exam!

How did you structure your study time? 3 hours M-TH? 5 hour weekend sessions? Did you work while you were prepping?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 23:59
embrya2k wrote:
Congrats on the exam!

How did you structure your study time? 3 hours M-TH? 5 hour weekend sessions? Did you work while you were prepping?

For the last one month i took a sabbatical at work; being in a smaller company helped.
While working i could only manage 2-3 hour sessions, and that too late at night.
Though i know someone who is currently putting two hours in the mornings and 3 hours in the evening; besides a 10 hour work-day. Needs a whole lot of dedication. Best of Luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 21:39
Congratulations! Thanks for the debrief.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 17:54
hey devlsown

Congrats! Woud you mind sending your verbal stuff to me at kumarramki /at/ gmail/./com - just starting my prep...

Well I am using / as de limited as I cannot post urls yet:)
thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 07:44
Congrats devilsown! Glad to see your hard work amount to a great score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) : [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 07:49
devil,

congrats on the great score. i had one question - the kaplan premier 09 book has bad reviews on amazon due to glaring errors and typos...

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GMAT-Premi ... 364&sr=8-2

did they effect you in any way during your studies? do you still feel it's that great of a resource to work with?

i ask because i am using the 09 book now and bough the '10 books for the extra exam practice and questions.

congrats again and best of luck on apps!
- tsd
Re: Roller Coaster ride ended at 710 (Q49/ V38) :   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2010, 07:49