Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roommates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Roommates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 09:16
I rented a 2-bedroom apartment in Michigan, but have had some trouble finding a roommate that is a good fit within the business school population. I seem to only meet international students who describe their ideal living situation very different from how I would describe mine. Does anyone have any input on non B-school vs. B-school roommates or tips on finding a good one without ever meeting them? Either I have lived alone or had tenants that lived with me who were friends or screened pretty closely. I wanted to live with someone else mostly for the social aspect and so I wouldn’t be inclined to get too comfy at home.

Becky
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Ross (admit!), Booth (WL w/int), Tuck (WL w/int), Stern (int), Fuqua (int), Anderson (int), Kellogg 1Y (ding w/int), Columbia (ding w/o int)
WE 1: 5yrs corporate finance at a Fortune 500 insurance company
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Roommates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 12:32
I'm having trouble too. I'm trying to find a 2br as close to campus as possible, but don't have a roommate yet and won't be going there until Ross Rendezvous (June 10). Trying to decide between making a leap of faith and signing a lease sight unseen and without a roommate yet, or crossing my fingers and hoping I'll find both a good place and a roommate on/after June 10. Seems like they're going fast - the apartment I was ready to sign for yesterday just got filled this morning :(
Current Student
Schools: Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Roommates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 14:28
Have you checked out the housing google doc for Ross students? There are over 100 students listed who are looking for roommates, along with some very basic information about them and what kind of living situation they're looking for. A b-school roommate would be nice for staying a little more connected to school events (both official and social), and you could possibly help each other out with studying and such. On the other hand, some current students have mentioned that not living with a b-school student makes it a little easier to get away from it all when you need to. Plus, if it's another grad student, it's a good opportunity to meet other people at the university.

As far as general tips go, I had a roommate years ago who moved from across the country, so we didn't meet in person in advance. We swapped some detailed emails about ourselves and our living habits and exchanged facebook pages, and it worked out well. I probably knew more about her at move-in than other roommates I had met in person in advance. Roommates are always a bit of a crapshoot - I've found some awesome roommates on craigslist, and the worst one I ever had was a sorority sister!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

Re: Roommates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 22:45
might be worth trying to bunk up with a law or MD student... they have so little time that they are rarely home, or pass out when they get there. Downside might be that they are messy as hell due to no time... nothing a monthly maid cant handle though... food for thought.
Re: Roommates   [#permalink] 04 May 2011, 22:45