Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roommates in b-school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:44
Can anyone share you or your friends' experiences? I feel like a roommate will save me about $400/month, but ever since I moved out of my parents' house, I've lived alone, I'm not sure if business school is the place to experiment with a roommate. :?

Also, where did you find your roommate? Admitted discussion boards/facebook/etc, admit weekend, knew beforehand?

Thanks

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [2] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 16:33
This post received
KUDOS
Having read this thread Prospects of meeting your spouse just a few days ago, I can clearly see your intentions!!! :wink:

Btw, name's Barney!!! Barney Stinson!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 17:17
BarneyStinson wrote:
Having read this thread Prospects of meeting your spouse just a few days ago, I can clearly see your intentions!!! :wink:

Btw, name's Barney!!! Barney Stinson!!!

did you answer her question?

Are you going to post bullshit just because you can?
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 18:14
Aw, I like the BarneyStinson account's posts. He/she plays the character pretty well, IMO.

To quickly answer the OP, though, most people that I personally know who've succeeded in finding roommates have done it through craigslist, sometimes even randomly connecting with fellow b-school applicants.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 05:23
coakleym wrote:
Aw, I like the BarneyStinson account's posts. He/she plays the character pretty well, IMO.

To quickly answer the OP, though, most people that I personally know who've succeeded in finding roommates have done it through craigslist, sometimes even randomly connecting with fellow b-school applicants.

i don't think i want to go that route, i'd prefer someone in school who may understand my situation a bit better (i.e. during recruiting i don't want to come home to a house full of people watching the oscars while spilling salsa on the couch lol)

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 11:42
Most people I know met either at admit weekend, admit events in respective cities, or perhaps on google groups admitted student forum. I don't know anyone that has a random roommate from Craigslist. Although I do know some people with roommates from other grad schools they found through university postings/boards.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 06:59
skaballet wrote:
Most people I know met either at admit weekend, admit events in respective cities, or perhaps on google groups admitted student forum. I don't know anyone that has a random roommate from Craigslist. Although I do know some people with roommates from other grad schools they found through university postings/boards.

Same here at Kellogg, most people that I know who have roommates met during DAK or other Kellogg events prior to moving in together. A lot of people use Kellogg's admitted student discussion boards and Facebook group to find someone to share a hotel room with during DAK, and many times those people end up as roommates once school starts.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 11:26
I think there're pros and cons to having roommates in b-school. Some of the upsides include better networking and cheaper rent. On the other hand, you also get the hassles associated with living with others and you'll not really get any "down-time," which may be important to some people, like me. Personally, I'm planning to live by myself, after having lived with roommates for the past 5 years. As far as networking goes, I really don't think that you'll lose out by that much by living by yourself, b/c my understanding is that you hardly spend any time at the apartment/house, anyway, since you're going to be attending events, hanging out with people, and just networking. You'll be so busy that your abode will just be a place to crash at night. Also, I'm the kind of person who needs his alone/down-time. I may decide to get roommates during my second year, though, depending on how the first year goes.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 18:36
how much downtime do you really need, though? im assuming the OP meant a roommate situation where each one gets a separate bedroom, not freshman year of college-type where you have bunk beds.

i wound up getting roommates that i met during admit weekend. we're not saving a huge chunk of change, but we were able to get a much larger apartment than we could have alone. also, we each have separate rooms, so if you dont want to be bothered, you can always close the door.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Roommates in b-school [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 08:21
So having lived with roommates for a good portion of undergrad, there can be a lot of inconveniences of a roommate (may be different from b-school... I sure hope so).

For instance, I'm the type of person who really respects other people's property, and I demand respect for my property as well. Unfortunately, sometimes my stuff gets misplaced, misused, or just taken, which can take a mental toll on you too.

We both have separate rooms, but if he's listening to music really loud or has people over playing video games at 12 am at night, there's not much that my poor wooden door can do.

The upside? I was able to save probably $200 dollars in rent.

The most important thing, which may be obvious, is to be completely honest with yourself and how flexible you are with your style of life.

GOAL: 7xx

Re: Roommates in b-school   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2010, 08:21