Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 126
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 43

root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 13:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:51) correct 36% (00:56) wrong based on 212 sessions
\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 and \sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0

A. X= 2
B. X = -8
C. X= 8
D. X = -2
E. X=Y

Detailed Solutions = Kudos!
Kudos if you liked!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29659
Followers: 3493

Kudos [?]: 26252 [2] , given: 2708

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 13:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
laythesmack23 wrote:
\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 and \sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0

A. X= 2
B. X = -8
C. X= 8
D. X = -2
E. X=Y

Detailed Solutions = Kudos!
Kudos if you liked!


\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 --> square both sides: x+y=16;
\sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0 --> \sqrt{x}=\sqrt{y} --> square both sides: x=y.

So, we have that x+y=16 and x=y --> x+x=16 --> x=8.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 260
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 04:06
In this problem the answer could also be X=Y, isn't it?
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [2] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 04:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
Stiv wrote:
In this problem the answer could also be X=Y, isn't it?

Yes, absolutely right.
One reason why only official questions should be used for practice.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 260
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:56
You have a kudos for this statement! :)
100% agree with you...
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 6

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:46
Solutions provided before were partially correct:

\sqrt{X+Y}=4 --> pass square root to the other side: X+Y=16;
\sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0 --> \sqrt{X}=\sqrt{Y} --> pass square root to the other side: X=(\sqrt{Y})^2 --> X=|Y| --> X=|+Y| or X=|-Y|

So, we have that X+Y=16 and X=|+Y| or X=|-Y| --> we don't care here if Y is positive or negative, as we take always the absolute value |Y| --> therefore this is true always 2X=16 --> X=8.

BUT X=Y is NOT true, as X=|Y|... this means X=8 and Y could be +8 or -8.

Answer: C.
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 6

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:47
Vips0000 wrote:
Stiv wrote:
In this problem the answer could also be X=Y, isn't it?

Yes, absolutely right.
One reason why only official questions should be used for practice.


Read my post... you are not right in this case :)
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 22:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
johnwesley wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Stiv wrote:
In this problem the answer could also be X=Y, isn't it?

Yes, absolutely right.
One reason why only official questions should be used for practice.


Read my post... you are not right in this case :)

Really? :twisted:

Check your solution once again... or rather.. steps.. its not a solution, if its not correct!

Let me point out basic mistakes!
Your solution is, x= 8, y =8 or -8
Are these value correct for \sqrt{x+y}=4
if you use x=8 and y=-8 then NO. so y=-8 is NOT a solution :-D

Alright, lets take second equation, \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}=0
Do you think \sqrt{8}-\sqrt{-8}=0 ?? its NOT.

Stiv was absolutely right there and so was I :twisted:
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 6

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 00:42
Vips0000 wrote:
johnwesley wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Yes, absolutely right.
One reason why only official questions should be used for practice.


Read my post... you are not right in this case :)

Really? :twisted:

Check your solution once again... or rather.. steps.. its not a solution, if its not correct!

Let me point out basic mistakes!
Your solution is, x= 8, y =8 or -8
Are these value correct for \sqrt{x+y}=4
if you use x=8 and y=-8 then NO. so y=-8 is NOT a solution :-D

Alright, lets take second equation, \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}=0
Do you think \sqrt{8}-\sqrt{-8}=0 ?? its NOT.

Stiv was absolutely right there and so was I :twisted:


Let me tell you (again), that you are wrong, and your response now shows I need to explain slowly:

MY solution is, x= 8, y =8 or -8 AND x=|y|
Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4
BUT you cannot say x=y, as x=|y|

In GMAT, you cannot assume a variable is either positive or negative. USE THE X OR Y AS IF THEY CAN BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, NOBODY TELLS YOU THE OPPOSITE. And I have demonstrated X is always 8, and Y could be +8 or -8, as the square root of X+Y means square root of |Y|+Y. Your solution dismiss important information on the way, and mine is more complete.

Therefore, my solution (again) is CORRECT.
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 00:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
johnwesley wrote:
Let me tell you (again), that you are wrong, and your response now shows I need to explain slowly:

MY solution is, x= 8, y =8 or -8 AND x=|y|
Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4
BUT you cannot say x=y, as x=|y|

In GMAT, you cannot assume a variable is either positive or negative. USE THE X OR Y AS IF THEY CAN BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, NOBODY TELLS YOU THE OPPOSITE. And I have demonstrated X is always 8, and Y could be +8 or -8, as the square root of X+Y means square root of |Y|+Y. Your solution dismiss important information on the way, and mine is more complete.

Therefore, my solution (again) is CORRECT.


I'm not sure if you know the basic rules of solving an equation. The end solutions that you get should satisfy the original equation - Only then they are considered a solution.

if x=8 and y=8
both equations are satisfied.

if x=8 and y=-8
none of the equations are satisfied.

Therefore the only solution is, when x=y=8.

Regarding your solution -its absolutely wrong if you talk about Maths in general. And its a blunder, if you talk about GMAT in particular. if Y were to be -8, sqrt (Y) would be undefined on GMAT.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 6

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 01:19
Vips0000 wrote:
johnwesley wrote:
Let me tell you (again), that you are wrong, and your response now shows I need to explain slowly:

MY solution is, x= 8, y =8 or -8 AND x=|y|
Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4
BUT you cannot say x=y, as x=|y|

In GMAT, you cannot assume a variable is either positive or negative. USE THE X OR Y AS IF THEY CAN BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, NOBODY TELLS YOU THE OPPOSITE. And I have demonstrated X is always 8, and Y could be +8 or -8, as the square root of X+Y means square root of |Y|+Y. Your solution dismiss important information on the way, and mine is more complete.

Therefore, my solution (again) is CORRECT.


I'm not sure if you know the basic rules of solving an equation. The end solutions that you get should satisfy the original equation - Only then they are considered a solution.

if x=8 and y=8
both equations are satisfied.

if x=8 and y=-8
none of the equations are satisfied.

Therefore the only solution is, when x=y=8.

Regarding your solution -its absolutely wrong if you talk about Maths in general. And its a blunder, if you talk about GMAT in particular. if Y were to be -8, sqrt (Y) would be undefined on GMAT.


I have explained twice and there is no flaw. It is simply the correct way of solving this kind of problems where nobody tells you X or Y are positive or negative.

My solution is:

Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4

Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}=0, because as you say, this could be undefined... but simply do \sqrt{x}=\sqrt{y} and then X=|Y|... magic!... your indefinition has gone while you keep all the possible outcomes of this equation. Your solution does dismiss important and basic information given by the equations.

I am still laughing you say I don't know solving equations.
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Location: chennai
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 02:06
\sqrt{x+y}=4
squaring both sides =>
x+y=16 --- eq(1)
\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}=0
squaring both the sides =>
(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})^2 =x-2*\sqrt{xy}+y
implies
x+y=2*\sqrt{xy} --- eq(2)
substitute eq(1) in eq(2)
2*\sqrt{xy}=16
\sqrt{xy}=8
squaring both sides the above eqn =>
xy=64
we knew that x+y=16
y=16-x
x*(16-x)=64
x^2-16x+64=0
hence
x=8

Ans (c)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 02:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
johnwesley wrote:
I have explained twice and there is no flaw. It is simply the correct way of solving this kind of problems where nobody tells you X or Y are positive or negative.

My solution is:

Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4

Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}=0, because as you say, this could be undefined... but simply do \sqrt{x}=\sqrt{y} and then X=|Y|... magic!... your indefinition has gone while you keep all the possible outcomes of this equation. Your solution does dismiss important and basic information given by the equations.

I am still laughing you say I don't know solving equations.


Yup, I stand by what I said.

I would say, go back to basics; specially when I see comments like this:
"Completely CORRECT for \sqrt{|y|+y}=4"
you dont put |y| that you derived as intermediate solution in original equation and check validity of your solution. This is stupidity at best.

And since you are so adamant on proving others wrong (with comments like partially correct solution, you are wrong, again wrong etc). Here is my open challenge to you:
If one expert (Who is also a long time GMAT clubber- so we know its really an expert) says that your solution is correct- I'll get all my kudos (200) transferred to you.
Let me see whats your best bet!
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 6

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 04:26
Ok, I have no problem to admit my error now I see. In fact \sqrt{|y|+y}=4 is a complete non-sense for values of y<0. I really don't know how I wrote that stupidity. :roll:

All I wanted to do is point out that in GMAT, you cannot assume a variable is either positive or negative. But my calculations where wrong and I promise to be more cautious next time.

And doing numbers again:

x+y=16 and

\sqrt{x}=\sqrt{y} meaning x=|y| (case a) or y=|x| (case b)

I could develop option a.1 (x=|y| and y>0) and option a.2 (x=|y| and y<0), b.1 (y=|x| and x>0) and option b.2 (y=|x| and x<0).

But with the equation x+y=16 we directly disregard that y<0 or that x<0.

Therefore the solutions can be x=8, and x=y :wink:

I never meant detracting your stripes or wings as GMAT master or director, only have fun answering questions. I also never meant to be adamant, but apologies if that is what it looked like, and thanks anyway for the discussion :)
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 19:35
johnwesley wrote:
Ok, I have no problem to admit my error now I see. In fact \sqrt{|y|+y}=4 is a complete non-sense for values of y<0. I really don't know how I wrote that stupidity. :roll:

Great that you finally saw it :-)

Quote:
And doing numbers again:
x+y=16 and
\sqrt{x}=\sqrt{y} meaning x=|y| (case a) or y=|x| (case b)
I could develop option a.1 (x=|y| and y>0) and option a.2 (x=|y| and y<0), b.1 (y=|x| and x>0) and option b.2 (y=|x| and x<0).
But with the equation x+y=16 we directly disregard that y<0 or that x<0.
Therefore the solutions can be x=8, and x=y :wink:

Again, it doesnt require this much work or effort. if you observe second equation once carefully, you would notice that x and y need to be greater than or equal to 0 in GMAT context (root of negative number not defined in GMAT).
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 260
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 02:22
Finally peace, you two were quite interesting guys!!! :D Nobody will make mistake in this question again because you elaborated it to the ground! :D
Thanks to both of you, this is why I love GMATClub... :)
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 06:48
johnwesley wrote:
Solutions provided before were partially correct:

\sqrt{X+Y}=4 --> pass square root to the other side: X+Y=16;
\sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0 --> \sqrt{X}=\sqrt{Y} --> pass square root to the other side: X=(\sqrt{Y})^2 --> X=|Y| --> X=|+Y| or X=|-Y|

So, we have that X+Y=16 and X=|+Y| or X=|-Y| --> we don't care here if Y is positive or negative, as we take always the absolute value |Y| --> therefore this is true always 2X=16 --> X=8.

BUT X=Y is NOT true, as X=|Y|... this means X=8 and Y could be +8 or -8.

Answer: C.


y cannot be -8 as square_root_of(-8) is an imaginary number, if nothing is mentioned we assume the number to be as real numbers
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1661
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 12:57
feellikequitting wrote:
\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 and \sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0

A. X= 2
B. X = -8
C. X= 8
D. X = -2
E. X=Y

Detailed Solutions = Kudos!
Kudos if you liked!


Why is answer (E) given anyways? Technically it could be correct as well no? Cause x=y=8.
Please clarify

Nice question, thks
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4766
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5038 [2] , given: 164

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 21:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
feellikequitting wrote:
\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 and \sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0

A. X= 2
B. X = -8
C. X= 8
D. X = -2
E. X=Y

Detailed Solutions = Kudos!
Kudos if you liked!


Why is answer (E) given anyways? Technically it could be correct as well no? Cause x=y=8.
Please clarify

Nice question, thks


Actually, technically, x = y is not a solution to this set of equations. We cannot say that wherever x = y, the relations will hold. Say if x = y = 2, the first equation will not hold.

But when x = 8, you put it in the second equation, get y = 8 (so you get x = y as an intermediate result) and then you put both x = 8 and y = 8 in equation 1 which holds for these values.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 119

Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 14:31
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
feellikequitting wrote:
\sqrt{X+Y} = 4 and \sqrt{X}-\sqrt{Y}=0

A. X= 2
B. X = -8
C. X= 8
D. X = -2
E. X=Y

Detailed Solutions = Kudos!
Kudos if you liked!


Why is answer (E) given anyways? Technically it could be correct as well no? Cause x=y=8.
Please clarify

Nice question, thks


Actually, technically, x = y is not a solution to this set of equations. We cannot say that wherever x = y, the relations will hold. Say if x = y = 2, the first equation will not hold.

But when x = 8, you put it in the second equation, get y = 8 (so you get x = y as an intermediate result) and then you put both x = 8 and y = 8 in equation 1 which holds for these values.


First I was going for E, but I remebered that X=Y "actually, technically, is not a solution". End of discussion.

Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma
Re: root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2013, 14:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

root(x+y)=4 and root(x)-root(y)=0

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.