Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [5] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (02:23) correct 50% (01:35) wrong based on 176 sessions
Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce good food from bad soil, maintain good soil without good farming, or have good farming without a culture that places value on the proper maintenance of all its natural resources so that needed supplies are always available.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from Rosen's statement?

(A) The creation of good meals depends on both natural and cultural conditions.
(B) Natural resources cannot be maintained properly without good farming practices.
(C) Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming.
(D) Any society with good cultural values will have a good cuisine.
(E) When food is bad, it is because of poor soil and, ultimately, bad farming practices.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 07:38
Its A.

Why is it tough? A is the first thing you think when you finis reading the given paragraph.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 07:45
piyatiwari wrote:
Its A.

Why is it tough? A is the first thing you think when you finis reading the given paragraph.

I am glad it is not tough for you. It was for me atleast. Anyways, can you help me with explanations for why option A is correct and why all others are wrong.

Thanks in advance.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 12:48
Sorry, I did not mean to say in wrong way. Trust me. I was just wondering if there could be another obvious way to look at the given info.

Anyway.

In case of inferrence questions, always go for a option which tells you the 'meat' of the given info. I hope you get what I meant to say. So considering this, the given argument tells us that, the good meal is equally dependent on good natural sources (food -> soil ) as well as cultural sources (such as farming techniques).

Now,

A. The creation of good meals depends on both natural and cultural conditions. - Correct
B. Natural resources cannot be maintained properly without good farming practices. - Given info did not say this.
C. Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming. - One of the permises
D. Any society with good cultural values will have a good cuisine. - not necessary, need good natural sources as well
E. When food is bad, its because of poor soil and ultimately, bad farming practices - Given info did not say this.

[Always avoid options that are too extreme, make un-necessary assumptions, use information other than given]
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 18:51
I pick A.

Unlike the previous poster, I did not find the answer so obvious.

Options B,D and E are wrong because their claims are not necessarily supported by the question stem.

C seems to reverse the premise. Good farming is necessary for good soil. Not the other way around.

A does not have any of those problems.

It took me 87 seconds to get this right. Now, that is a disappointment! Shorter CRs should be completed within 60 seconds. :(
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough one [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 08:36
I did exactly DexDee's way but took almost 2 mins...
CR questions are not in my reach within a minute... my strategy is to target 2 mins for a CR ques and 1 min for a SC ques. Seems to work fine for me 8-)

p!yu$h
from-620-to-710-my-gmat-story-test-date-30-oct-122547.html#p995276

4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 898 [4] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT CR: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
GMATmission wrote:
Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce good food from bad soil, maintain good soil without good farming, or have good farming without a culture that places value on the proper maintenance of all its natural resources so that needed supplies are always available.

NO Culture->NOT(Good Farming)->NOT(Good Soil)->(NOT)Good Food->(NOT)Good Meal

Yes. It does. Good Meal comes at the end. It depends on everything prior to that. Let's rule out others.

(B) Natural resources cannot be maintained properly without good farming practices.
We know only reverse is true:NO Culture->NOT(Good Farming).

Again. Opposite.

For Having a good meal- at least ALL in the chain must be true, but just their mere presence won't necessarily make good cuisine. There may be other requirements for a good cuisine that's not mentioned in the passage. Remember, we need Must be true, not May be true.

(E) When food is bad, it is because of poor soil and, ultimately, bad farming practices.
Could be; but not necessarily true. Food could be bad because of natural calamity, who knows. We just know that if the food is GOOD; at least everything in the chain is TRUE.

Ans: "A"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LSAT CR: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 08:58
fluke wrote:
GMATmission wrote:

Yes. It does. Good Meal comes at the end. It depends on everything prior to that. Let's rule out others.

Again. Opposite.

For Having a good meal- at least ALL in the chain must be true, but just their mere presence won't necessarily make good cuisine. There may be other requirements for a good cuisine that's not mentioned in the passage. Remember, we need Must be true, not May be true.

Could be; but not necessarily true. Food could be bad because of natural calamity, who knows. We just know that if the food is GOOD; at least everything in the chain is TRUE.

Awesome explanation. That Sheds some light on how to tackle CR questions.

120 seconds to tackle a CR question ;)

Read Question Stem First. 10 sec
    Read the stimulus once ( paragraph ) 30 sec
    Perhaps write down in short precise words , make use of symbolic wordings as Fluke did in above example. 40 sec
    Use POE on answer choices. 40 sec

+1 to you Fluke. I loved the way you made it lucid !

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT CR: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 04:01
+1 for A
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT CR: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:41
fluke wrote:
GMATmission wrote:

Again. Opposite.

I am still confused between A & E,

going by the logic if a leads to b, then if not b, then not a ......

now applying same logic to option E, it seems correct

if stimulus states Good Farming->Good Soil->Good Food, then if not good food ( bad food ) then not good soil ( bad soil) and bad farming practices

Pls clarify whr I am getting it wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 07:07
A is the answer

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 07:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Rosen: One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 07:24