Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Haas PT or Ross FT

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:33
Want to get the forum's thoughts on my conundrum. I got into both Haas PT & Ross FT. I'd prefer a FT lifestyle and really like the culture at Ross. On the other hand, I'd save a lot money doing part-time at Haas. I want to do either consulting or high-tech right after school. Ross has good connections with tech companies, but not as good as Haas of course. Not sure which program recruits better with consulting companies. Final issue is Haas requires for me to either pass a waiver exam for stats and calc or college-level stats/calc courses in order to be admitted in August. I assume that on the off chance I don't pass the exams or courses, I would no longer be admitted to Haas.

Thoughts guys?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 04:47
Congrats on getting into two top programs !! I would prefer Ross FT as I believe a FT experience is very different from a PT program. That being said, contact the career services of both the schools and find out from them about your target job, particularly Haas PT program. The only flip side of a full-time program is, of course, the opportunity cost.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:37
I had the same decision to make a couple of years ago. IMHO, the answer lies in what your pre-MBA career was and how adjacent/relevant it is to your future goals. If you came from high-tech consulting and now want to get into management consulting or say high-tech product management you are not looking a far fetched scenario. Since this is a relatively easy sell assuming you do the requisite work in a disciplined manner, Haas PT could be a great decision especially if the economics work better. But, if your pre-MBA career was non-profit or advertising or something that could be perceived as non-analytical then you would need to sell that pretty hard to the recruiters. Having the extra time as a full-time student, and potentially more resources could prove to be a big advantage in this scenatio.

I went with the FT option (Ross) because my career goals (GM, Healthcare) were unrelated to my pre-MBA employment and I felt that I had a better shot at making the transition. Good luck!

SFFall2011MBA wrote:
Want to get the forum's thoughts on my conundrum. I got into both Haas PT & Ross FT. I'd prefer a FT lifestyle and really like the culture at Ross. On the other hand, I'd save a lot money doing part-time at Haas. I want to do either consulting or high-tech right after school. Ross has good connections with tech companies, but not as good as Haas of course. Not sure which program recruits better with consulting companies. Final issue is Haas requires for me to either pass a waiver exam for stats and calc or college-level stats/calc courses in order to be admitted in August. I assume that on the off chance I don't pass the exams or courses, I would no longer be admitted to Haas.

Thoughts guys?

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

Re: Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 11:24
Somewhat depends on pre/post MBA career. I would go w/ the FT option myself. The experience is going to be completely different and PT you will not gain some of the benefits like an internship, recruiting (bonuses), EC involvement, etc.

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Ross Full Time vs. Haas Part Time   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 11:24