Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
People tend to be harsh on the internet... no need to make broad (pun intended) generalizations about nationalities on here... I can assure you that the people on this site do not assume everyone taking the GMAT is an American...

Michigan state(broad) and U Michigan (Ross) are about as similar as UPenn(Wharton) and Penn State(Smeal). They are in the same state, and thats about it.

Yeah, but anyone with an internet connection can figure out in 12 seconds that michigan state and university of michigan are different schools. i assume everyone on gmatclub has internet access. guess that's because i'm an evil american.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 137 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
People tend to be harsh on the internet... no need to make broad (pun intended) generalizations about nationalities on here... I can assure you that the people on this site do not assume everyone taking the GMAT is an American...

Michigan state(broad) and U Michigan (Ross) are about as similar as UPenn(Wharton) and Penn State(Smeal). They are in the same state, and thats about it.

Yeah, but anyone with an internet connection can figure out in 12 seconds that michigan state and university of michigan are different schools. i assume everyone on gmatclub has internet access. guess that's because i'm an evil american.

haha, I am a converted American and up until this year, I thought that London Business School and London School of Economics are under the same parent institution, until someone punched me in the face and said "you are an idiot". We can give internationals some benefit of doubt. (yes, even in this internet age)

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:32
kingfalcon wrote:
Looks like the essays have been released!

1. Introduce yourself to your future Ross classmates in 100 words or less.
2. Describe your career goals. How will an MBA from Ross help you to achieve those
goals? (300 word maximum)
3. Describe a time in your career when you were frustrated or disappointed. What did you
learn about yourself from that experience? (500 word maximum)
4. What are you most passionate about and why? How will this passion positively impact
Ross (300 word maximum)
5. Optional question: Is there anything else you think the Admissions Committee should
know about you to evaluate your candidacy? (500 word maximum)

http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Fulltime_Essays.pdf

If I'm not mistaken, those are exactly the same questions as last year's meaning there might be essay question advice floating around the net that would still be good for this year.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:36
Oh also, if anyone is applying to Ross via Consortium and would like to know more about the process, ranking the schools, what happens after you're in, OP, and the general Ross Consortium family appeal, feel free to ask here or PM and I'd be happy to discuss.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 09:27
kingfalcon wrote:

2. Describe your career goals. How will an MBA from Ross help you to achieve those
3. Describe a time in your career when you were frustrated or disappointed. What did you
4. What are you most passionate about and why? How will this passion positively impact
Ross (300 word maximum)
5. Optional question: Is there anything else you think the Admissions Committee should

Yep, I listed those in the original post, but I believe those are last year's questions, and a new set will be released on 8/1 when the application goes live.

The header "Fall 2012 Full-time MBA Essay Questions" refers to Fall 2012 entry into the program.
Director
Director

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:01
jko wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Ross (300 word maximum)

Yep, I listed those in the original post, but I believe those are last year's questions, and a new set will be released on 8/1 when the application goes live.

The header "Fall 2012 Full-time MBA Essay Questions" refers to Fall 2012 entry into the program.

idk, the header says Fall 2013 now?

Current Student

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:34
method wrote:

The header in the link kingfalcon posted is 2012.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:41
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:14
jko wrote:
method wrote:

I think you may have just misread it. It said Fall 2013 when I found it through ClearAdmit on the third.
Current Student

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:22
kingfalcon wrote:
jko wrote:
method wrote:

I think you may have just misread it. It said Fall 2013 when I found it through ClearAdmit on the third.

Ah, so apparently Chrome wasn't re-downloading the PDF, it was just opening the one it had cached a couple days ago.

My B falcon, thanks for noticing they had been posted!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 49

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:29
Good luck everyone!

GO BLUE!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:51
jko wrote:
My B falcon, thanks for noticing they had been posted!

Ahhh that totally makes sense! Don't sweat it. We're all under a lot of stress :lol:.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 13

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 11:24
Still not decided when to apply... gunning for R1 though!

Cheers,
WanderLust
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 04:19
Folks,

Feel free to reach out to me here or via PM as a resource. I was a reapp last year in R2 and was accepted.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 07:52
Hi,
I am not sure if I will be applying to Ross. Got a reject from Ross last year and apparently Ross doesn't provide feedback. So I am a little confused about reapplying.

The info mentioned above in the first post (of this thread) mentions: "Total Full-Time MBA Enrollment 1046". If I am not mistaken isn't the class size for Ross around 500. Am I correct?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 08:41
LN03FZL wrote:
Hi,
I am not sure if I will be applying to Ross. Got a reject from Ross last year and apparently Ross doesn't provide feedback. So I am a little confused about reapplying.

The info mentioned above in the first post (of this thread) mentions: "Total Full-Time MBA Enrollment 1046". If I am not mistaken isn't the class size for Ross around 500. Am I correct?

Total size of the business school (~500+~500=~1000)

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 03:51
mohater wrote:
Folks,

Feel free to reach out to me here or via PM as a resource. I was a reapp last year in R2 and was accepted.

Hi,

Thanks for helping us out. I applied to Ross 2 years back. I got rejected without being waitlisted. Then took some time off last year. Planning to re-apply this year. Since Ross doesn't provide any feedback on previous application, I am a little confused whether I should reapply or not. What are your thought on it? Do they like re-applicants. Ross' site mentions that they would not consider me as a reapplicant as I had applied last to last year rather than last year. Will they still have a look at my original app?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 05:32
LN03FZL wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for helping us out. I applied to Ross 2 years back. I got rejected without being waitlisted. Then took some time off last year. Planning to re-apply this year. Since Ross doesn't provide any feedback on previous application, I am a little confused whether I should reapply or not. What are your thought on it? Do they like re-applicants. Ross' site mentions that they would not consider me as a reapplicant as I had applied last to last year rather than last year. Will they still have a look at my original app?

The school doesn't say if it keeps your application if beyond one year, that being said, if you log in to Wolverine access (you should have access since you were once an applicant) it will show there all your application attempts. This leads me to believe everything is stored electronically.

Deciding on if it's worth it to reapply: The best thing to do is find someone you know who is either in a similarly ranked MBA program or recently finished his/her MBA program and spend an hour or so doing a profile eval. You'll need to cover A-Z of the app (your GMAT, resume, essays, people you selected for LOR, etc.). I was fortunate enough to have someone (a yr1 Ross MBA) help me with my reapp and the factor that he said killed my app was my essays were very generic. They didn't make me stand out. After a LOT of time investment, I revamped the essays and had a different reply this time around.

I've heard from people at other top 10 programs (Wharton, HBS, etc.) say schools do not like reapps unless something significantly changes in your profile, but I didn't get that vibe through my reapp with Ross.

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 17:01
LN03FZL wrote:
Hi,

500 in one class (for example, those graduating in 2013) and 500 in the other (those graduating in 2014). TOTAL enrollment = two classes.

Is your confusion about whether or not you should apply or about why you were rejected? The answer to the first is easy--yes you should if you want to!

The other depends. Common reasons that lead to rejection:
1) Stats (GPA/GMAT) were low
2) Career goals were fuzzy
3) You come from a common group (indian male, american finance male) and didn't stand out (i.e your essays were boring like mohater said)
4) They weren't convinced you really liked their school
5) Your work experience was lack-luster.

Hope that helps a bit.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Darden Thread Master
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 20:42
I am also an applicant to Ross. Its a great school indeed. But I will apply next year as I'm not ready completely. I'm here to learn more about the admissions process of the school. Your posts have been a great help.

My MBA Application Journey:

http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2012, 20:42