Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 08:53
Hi folks,

Surprising to see not much activity going on in this thread. Let's roll guys.

I'm in for Round 1 and have just started with the application. All the very best to everyone who's applying.

Cheers,
Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 10:54
In for R1.
Indian applicant, 710 GMAT, 5 years into career.
Currently in Hi-Tech industry, intend to switch function.

Cheers
Ankit
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 23:24
Guys for the goals essay (300 Words), how many words do you think should be dedicated to the why School section? This is the shortest career goals essay I've seen in any app and I'm not sure what the division should be between the Goals and the Why School section.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 23:26
what do you guys think about the word limit on essay 2 career goal? 300 words seem to be very limited =(
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 05:48
Look at the word limit at an advantage - focus on key differentiating factors that make you stand out.

I personally prefer shorter word count. It forces you to operate in a much more limited space.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 49

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 07:25
mohater wrote:
Look at the word limit at an advantage - focus on key differentiating factors that make you stand out.

I personally prefer shorter word count. It forces you to operate in a much more limited space.

I agree. It teaches you how to be clear and succinct. Instead of wasting time rambling, you must stay focused and only include relevant and meaningful details about yourself. After Ross and Cornell essays, which are both short, I began to love the short essays, and in longer essays
I got better at having extra space to include details that fit in the essay but added a new dimension to my background. Such as not only did I create the companies new internal financial reports but I trained the other controllers how to use them (creativity and communication).

GO BLUE!

Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 08:54
Any current Ross students willing to answer a few questions for me? I'm working on the 2nd essay right now.

thanks
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 16:59
wow, this thread is really low for activity compared to last year

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 23:45
Expert's post
IndigoIntentions wrote:
Guys for the goals essay (300 Words), how many words do you think should be dedicated to the why School section? This is the shortest career goals essay I've seen in any app and I'm not sure what the division should be between the Goals and the Why School section.

Well, you can likely get the goals themselves out in 50 words. So use the rest for the Why School. It IS a short essay, so no beating around the bush, introductions or conclusions. Just go straight for the jugular.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 11:13
It took a couple of tries but I'm in the 100 word range for short/long goals and I had quite a bit of space to talk why Ross.

Would defintiely agree on cutting out intros and conclusions - will definitely help maintain the look/feel of a 500 word goals essay in 60% of the space :)

JonAdmissionado wrote:
IndigoIntentions wrote:

Well, you can likely get the goals themselves out in 50 words. So use the rest for the Why School. It IS a short essay, so no beating around the bush, introductions or conclusions. Just go straight for the jugular.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '14 (A)
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 2.75
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 09:10
Hi Folks,

I applied round 2. Was waitlisted and made it in late July. If anyone has questions about application/ help/ waitlist feel free to reach out.

Palican
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 13:11
Good luck to all applicants out there! I'm a current MBA1 and used these forums last year to help me with the application process. If anybody has any general questions about the school or the application, I'd be more than willing to help out.

Absolutely love it here so far and happy with my decision to attend!

GO BLUE!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 11:45
Hey everyone..i'm a reapplicant..and in for Round 1.

Wanted to know if there is an approx word limit for the cover letter.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 22:06
Hi

I am in the process of finalizing my resume. Although the website says that 1-2 page resume is enough, is it advisable to write a one page resume? (in that case, I will be missing on writing a few internship experiences and community involvement)

Secondly, the app gives opportunity to upload cover letter. I do not know what to include, because most of it will be covered in my essay & resume. I do not want to repeat info. Should I skip it?

For photo, will a passport type photo be alright?

Thanks....
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:42
why is this thread so dead. Lets liven it up !!

How are you guys dividing the intro ? Is it 50 50 on professional and random/personal stuff ? That "introducing to your future classmates" is kind of screwing up the tone. Confused on how formal it should be.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 18:37
I'm submitted for R1; excited to go through the process.

Are there any stats out there for when, after R1 deadlines, people get interviews?
Is there any detail on when people started to get decisions?
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 22:56
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 05:38
Can someone guide?

dylanc wrote:

VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 11:13
dylanc wrote:
Can someone guide?

dylanc wrote:

I'm not an expert and this is my view only.

I suggest around 500 because that is probably the maximum you can fit with legible font and margins in a single page. Ideally, I would like to see some white space with font no smaller than 11 and 1.5 spacing.

I have one question as well:
Is the cover letter optional? The field says if you would like the adcom to know something more.. blabla.. go ahead and upload the document.

I see everyone uploading one!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 04:47
For the cover letter:

Your resume is held at one page. I'd say have your cover letter not be a FULLY typed page. I agree with the above, if you're going to follow a cover letter template (top heading, addressed to, etc.) 500 words is more then enough to have the page look "complete" without appearing to be cramming stuff in.

Just remember: if you're going to do the optional items for the application, they better be good/memorable. You don't want to be the guy with the longer application that the adcom member reviewing is tired of reading.

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 04:47