Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 10:47
Hi,

I have a doubt in Page 7.

How do you give the end date for a company that you are still working and will work(hopefully) till you start to matriculate?

Thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 11:29
Expert's post
raghupara wrote:
Hi,

How do you give the end date for a company that you are still working and will work(hopefully) till you start to matriculate?

Thanks

Just put June/July/August 2013 -- whatever is reasonable for you to quit your job and move to Michigan! Adcom will understand that you'll be working (more or less) until matriculation. Don't over think this one!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 11:30
aerien wrote:
raghupara wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Just put June/July/August 2013 -- whatever is reasonable for you to quit your job and move to Michigan! Adcom will understand that you'll be working (more or less) until matriculation. Don't over think this one!

Sure okay.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 12:05
Hi,

I have taken the TOEFL test, but I understand from the ETS website that the approximate score posting date is on Jan 2nd, 2013(subjected to US National holidays).

In addition, although I did not graduate from a US school, I did from a school that has the medium of instruction as English... And, I have a proof of a document that supports this fact.

Now, what am I supposed to do here? I am not sure if I will get the officials before the deadlines.
How do I proceed applying? Should I mail the adcom asking for a solution?

Best,
Current Student
Affiliations: Quant Instructor at IMS, Volunteer at CRY
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:06
Don't know if this is the best place. How is everyone addressing Essay 4? Especially the second part of the question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:30
raghupara wrote:
Hi,

I have taken the TOEFL test, but I understand from the ETS website that the approximate score posting date is on Jan 2nd, 2013(subjected to US National holidays).

In addition, although I did not graduate from a US school, I did from a school that has the medium of instruction as English... And, I have a proof of a document that supports this fact.

Now, what am I supposed to do here? I am not sure if I will get the officials before the deadlines.

Best,

Hi Raghu,

You do not need to submit your TOEFL score, I had not done it while submitting my round 1 app and got through without this being an issue. As long as your transcripts have it printed that the medium of instruction was English, you do not need to worry at all.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:35
CMG wrote:
raghupara wrote:
Hi,

Best,

Hi Raghu,

You do not need to submit your TOEFL score, I had not done it while submitting my round 1 app and got through without this being an issue. As long as your transcripts have it printed that the medium of instruction was English, you do not need to worry at all.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much, CMG. That's some relief.

By the way, I do not have anything explicitly mentioned in my transcripts. But I have a separate document with my university name, saying - Medium of Instruction is English. Shall I upload this additional document too?

Thanks
Current Student
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 13:37
I'm applying R2 & I've looked through this year's thread and last year's but there doesn't seem to be a consensus: Is the "optional" essay truly optional? What about the spot for a cover letter? I haven't been asked for a cover letter in other apps, so I was curious.
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.52

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 18:56
Am I allowed to submit my application and have one of my applications come in afterwards?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 19:23
Expert's post
obviouslynot wrote:
I'm applying R2 & I've looked through this year's thread and last year's but there doesn't seem to be a consensus: Is the "optional" essay truly optional? What about the spot for a cover letter? I haven't been asked for a cover letter in other apps, so I was curious.

There are some posts about the optional essay a few posts above yours. If you have something to include in the optional essay, then go for it. If not, leave it blank.

The cover letter is a new addition this year. The only other school I know of that has used this format for a long time (forever?) is MIT. Use it to show your interest in Ross in a business/professional way of writing.

lv76 wrote:
Am I allowed to submit my application and have one of my applications come in afterwards?

If by applications you mean letters of recommendation, then yes that's fine. Just make sure your letters don't come in too much later than the deadline (a week or so is usually okay).

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Current Student
Affiliations: Quant Instructor at IMS, Volunteer at CRY
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 19:34
lv76 wrote:

I think you mean recommendations, they normally give some extra time for recommendations to come in, but in any case I would suggest you send a mail to the adcom or give them a call to be sure.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 21:48
Was Ross cover letter a mandatory thing to submit.
I thought it was only for re-applicants so I didn't upload anything.

is that a problem?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 22:27
Submitted today. Finger crossed!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:21
Ross does not have activities unlike most of other schools but has option of uploading additional document.

Should we compile a list of activities, extracurriculars and awards, and upload it their?

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 05:59
Does anyone know what time the app is due today? I can't seem to find this anywhere on the Ross site. Thanks!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 07:50
LongestWaitEVER wrote:
Does anyone know what time the app is due today? I can't seem to find this anywhere on the Ross site. Thanks!

11:59 est

Link here: http://www.bus.umich.edu/admissions/applynow.htm (look under "Apply Now"

Just submitted for R2!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 07:54
vatsas wrote:
Ross does not have activities unlike most of other schools but has option of uploading additional document.

Should we compile a list of activities, extracurriculars and awards, and upload it their?

Found this: http://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions ... ulars.html

I was able to address everything in my required essays so I think that was sufficient. You could go for the optional essay as a method.

Doesn't Ross Care About Extracurriculars?

For those of you who have started your Ross application, you may have noticed that we do not have an "Awards and Extracurricular Activities" section. This was a conscious decision based on our observations over the past many years that: (1) not all cultures and industries encourage or accommodate extracurricular activities; (2) many applicants included awards and activities that were "beyond the expiration date" (i.e., were from high school or college); (3) many applicants felt compelled to provide a laundry list of activities that often didn't gel with the rest of their application; and, (4) lists were often "padded" (e.g., when we added up the amount of time that applicants said they engaged in an activitiy on a weekly basis, it occasionally exceeded their full-time jobs, which made the AdComm wonder, "Do these people never sleep or did they forget to do their math?").

Despite the pitfalls we encountered with the listing of extracurricular activities, we do care about what applicants do outside of work/school. Extracurricular activities are a core part of the Ross experience - to deepen your expertise in a particular area of interest, to develop your leadership skills, to contribute to the community, to develop relationships with classmates, to network with recruiters, etc. As such, we want to know that the applicants we admit will be engaged members of our community, not just in the classroom, but outside as well.

To demonstrate this, you can include an "extracurricular activities and honors" section in your resume (which should be one page) and...be prepared to talk about it in your interview. Interviewers will have a copy of your resume and no other part of your application, so consider any content in your resume a potential topic for discussion. Additionally, applicants can address it in one of the essays - either the "what are you most passionate about" or the optional essay.

Hope this helps. Best, Soojin
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:16
vatsas wrote:

You should include this stuff in your resume
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8758 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:16
Expert's post
Good Luck to everyone submitting!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:15
thank you!
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 17:15