Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
BombayPride wrote:
Have any of you seen the comments from this article? Not the comments from Businessweek but from the 100+ post below responding to the article. It is truly shocking. Duke has a party culture but it does not seem to be racist. I don't know what is more shocking - the response from alums who are internationals, the arrogance of current students or the immaturity from prospective students who wish to go there.

[www]poetsandquants dot com/2012/12/04/the-worst-things-mbas-say-about-their-schools

Please comment and share your thoughts. I was highly considering Ross before this but this place does not seem to have a "collaborative" culture as advertised.

Reality is that Ross's culture is extremely collaborative, and my experience has been that the community on a whole is very inclusive. There are, of course, always going to be some people you don't love in a community of Ross's size, but my strong inclination is that anyone who feels/felt excluded must have made efforts to avoid being included.

Related to that, it needs to be said that many of those comments' authors focus on what the community didn't do for them, without any mention of what they attempted to do for the community. As always, you need to be a _contributing_ part of the community if you want to really be a part of the community. This is basic life-skill stuff.

Also, any talk of any degree of latent racism reveals a perspective so skewed that rebuttal is unnecessary.

All of that said, it would be a shame if you let a single idiotic comment thread convince you not to apply. What you should do is visit the school: chat with some MBAs in the Winter Garden, attend a class, and maybe even go to the weekly happy hour. Ask the questions you want answered and decide for yourself.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
tienvunguyen wrote:
AndiMBA wrote:
Just got the call!!

:lol:

It's still VERY early in the day, good luck to everyone!

Congratulations!

What state are you located? What is your last name initial? Did they let you know scholarship information during the call?

I'm on the east coast and I'm a "W" so I kept telling myself I wouldn't hear until tomorrow, haha.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 11

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!! I'm in the midwest.

Good luck everyone! It's still early!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 11

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in. Midwest. No scholarship.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 20

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
I GOT IN! SO HAPPY! IM THE HAPPIEST GUY IN THE WORLD!

good luck to rest!

im from California. Last name Initial D

btw, people who got scholly, did your caller mention about money? mine didnt :|
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
tienvunguyen wrote:
I'm in. Midwest. No scholarship.

Congrats on the acceptance.

Last edited by Pique on 09 Apr 2013, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
Indian Applicant: In!

got a call right now
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Research (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Just got in! Indian from New Delhi
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 20

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
bond007 wrote:
guys anyone else here waitlisted?? would love to hear some strategies besides retaking the gmat or receiving a promotion.

for those of you who got WL'd, I feel for you, as I was WL'ed at another program. I did some research myself, and here is a list of things for you to read:

1. Interview with adcom of many schools regarding WL
http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... list_Chats

2. read book called "great applications to business school", it has a section on how to deal with WL

to summarize, in general:

1. find out if your school accepts additional updates. if so, send MEANINGFUL updates every once in while. if not, do NOT contact the adcom.
2. if your school accepts additional update, try to send in updates every month or so.
3. acceptable updates are: promotion at work, new responsibilities you have carried on at work or in extra-curricular activities, new transcripts to classes you took, higher GMAT score. etc.
4. timing is important too. try to submit your WL update a month before the possible WL decision change.

The key is to stay active, show that the adcom you really really want to come to this program and you will definitely enroll if accepted. be aware that being on the WL means this process is largely out of your hands. There are limited things you can do, stay optimistic and let fate unfold.

Best of luck to you all! :twisted:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Research (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
IndigoIntentions wrote:
bodu wrote:
does anyone know when is the deadline for deposit for R1 applicants? I have a hard time finding the information. thanks!!

I *think* it will be after the Go Blue Rendezvous that's on April 11-13. Not sure though, I'm looking for the same info.

The decision message mentions this address but its not working for me.
https://www.bus.umich.edu/EnrollmentDep ... fault.aspx

You are pretty accurate though! It's 16th April. If you click on the "Respond now" button on wolverine access, It shows the payment details and deadline for submission if you choose to accept the offer.
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:51
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck everyone!

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
Round II Interview Invites Wave 2 will go out again on February 4th as per Soojin's blog- No need to check until that date!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
Just did my interview with an alum, thought I would post the interview questions here.
Briefly tell me about your background, How are you being led and also becoming a leader/manager(whats your style), Whats the differences between leader/manager, What clubs are you going to be involved in, How is Ross helping you with your long term goal, What can you bring to the Ross community,
More in-depth ones: Whats the one thing that prevent you from doing mba, What would you do if you win a million dollar now, Do you like animals? Name one animal that best describe yourself and explain (caught off guard on this one despite having my strengths/weaknesses answers at the back of my head) :oops: :|
After that the interview was pretty conversational.

Hope this helps!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Just completed my interview with a 2nd year student over Skype. Real quick, while the list of questions is still fresh on my mind:
  • Resume walk through
  • Professional goals
  • Why go with an MBA?
  • What characteristics did you seek out in schools as you researched MBA programs?
  • What about Ross stood out related to those characteristics?
  • What are you excited about getting involved in at Ross?
  • What kind of a leadership style do you naturally fall into in a group setting?
  • What is your proudest professional achievement?
  • What was the last new thing you tried?

As mentioned previously, the interview stood out to me because of the amount of follow-up questions. The interviewer had more questions for almost every answer that I gave, which was actually nice, since there's a lot of pressure to provide brief answers initially due to the time constraint.

Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 14

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
Invited!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 22

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an invite...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.45

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
just got one! Good luck all
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
EChopeful12 wrote:
Is it better to interview in person, via skype, or with a local alum?

I've never visited Ross (only the UM campus when I was 10...) so it might be good to see what they have to offer in person.

If you can interview in-person, that's obviously the best bet. It not only gives Ross a chance to see who you are, but you'll be able to see if Ross is the right fit for you too -- you'll have the opportunity to explore campus, interact with students and professors, and meet some of your potential new classmates.

If you can't travel to Ann Arbor, I would personally go with an alum interview over a Skype interview, if there's an alum in your area. You'll get to meet with them in-person and you'll be able to assess how passionate they are about their business school experience.

From Ross' side, though, an interview is an interview, regardless of how you do it. Your application won't be looked down upon because you didn't interview in-person. They understand everyone has work/travel schedules, family life, etc that you have to juggle when scheduling these interviews. As long as you go into it with confidence and can articulately state why you want an MBA and why Ross is the best place for you, you'll be fine.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I like the personal interaction so I'd go with an alum interview.

You're right that adcom will likely have more experience in interviewing and certainly alums can be hit or miss, but ultimately it's up to you. Pick the one you feel more comfortable with. You'll be able to convey your story either way.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 19

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
fingercross wrote:
Ross held two group interview sessions in China. I attended the SH session and saw over 30 candidates there. These people were all invited to one-on-one interview in Wave 1. Considering there was another wave of interview invites, I am wondering how low the interview acceptance rate would be.

Surprisingly, it's pretty high. According to Soojin's interview with P&Q, it is around 70%. Who knows if this number would hold true this year? The interview is from Dec 2011.

Quote:
What percentage of interviewed applicants are accepted?

A high percentage, maybe 70%. I don’t know off the top of my head.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/12/15/th ... usiness/6/

This actually adds up. I am using approximate numbers.

Number of applicants = 2500;
Invited to interview (40%) = 1000
Offered Admission (70% of the interviewed) = 700;
Historical Yield = 70%;
Class Size = 700*70% = 490.

Again, just rough numbers.
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2013, 20:19