Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,

Good luck with the Ross 2013 waitlist!

Ross 2013 Waitlist
Post in the thread to be added to the roll call -- and be sure to update your profiles too!

Round 1:
    bond007 -- Withdrawn. Duke!
    cvsmech
    Daedalus3 -- invited to interview R2
    Donthate
    dreamchase
    Entropia
    Ice2Cool
    jamesq
    jhpzju -- invited to interview R2
    jpgmny -- invited to interview R2
    nullvoid325 -- invited to interview R2
    rtrhead
    xunqil

Round 2:
    ArsenalMrG
    brosnan6
    Bucket1518
    crimemasterGoGo
    Diegooli
    engebrem
    kibedoe
    kinkmetal
    nikhil1234
    PDX105
    riitr1986
    rjdunn03
    scschnei
    sgrunt
    shantanu8jan
    TrojanWarrior
    VoyagerII
    waitingstill
    watersorbet
    Whiplasher

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [4] , given: 8

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi eyjose,

I can't be sure that Ross is exactly the same as Booth, but I had someone who is currently on the Booth WL pm me earlier asking for advice. Here is a slightly edited (just regarding the Booth-specific references) version of my response:

The best way I can sum up my strategy is with the phrase, "the diplomatic squeaky wheel gets the grease". I applied to Booth two years ago and was waitlisted from R1 until the end of August, when I was finally rejected. I spent much of the two years between then and my most recent application attempt improving my profile in every way possible (went from a 730 to 760 gmat, took additional classes and earned As, progressed at work, took on more responsibility in my extracurricular activities, cultivated Booth relationships, etc).

When I applied most recently in R1, I was disappointed to learn I had been waitlisted again. However, I was lucky enough to be admitted (with $$$) to another top program (Ross), but I had my heart set on Booth. Knowing that this would be my last time applying to MBA programs, I took every measure I could to get in. I reached out to alumni and others connected to Booth, about 20 people in total, taking in-person meetings, phone calls, etc, and was able to secure multiple (five) letters of support, including three from very prominent alumni, including a partner at the firm I work for. I visited campus again (I visited two years ago for my original application) and met with a member of the admissions committee to personally present my story, emphasizing my passion for the program and my very specific reasons for wanting to attend. I sent in two long update letters, submitted a recent professional performance review, and provided 3-4 additional shorter updates that shed light on certain aspects of my profile I wanted to highlight. I also timed everything so that I was essentially in constant contact with the admissions committee, with new material sent every 1-2 weeks. I did my best to ensure that I was on their minds without being an annoyance.

Luckily, everything finally paid off. My experience shows that programs looks favorably upon people who really go the extra mile to show how badly they want to be there, and have a deep and nuanced knowledge of the program beyond the usual headlines (i.e. you have very specific reasons for wanting to go, and well thought-out plans for maximizing your time there). It will also help if you can secure alumni or other strong community support (i.e. professors, prominent professionals connected to the program, or even current students). Ultimately programs want to admit students who will definitely attend, and who want to be at the program as their top choice. If you are able to convey that sentiment effectively and keep yourself on the minds of the adcom, you will have a solid shot.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck,
kcw984
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 8

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I was admitted with $$$ to Ross in R1. Just found out I was admitted to Booth today (off the WL), so will be accepting and opening up a spot. Here's hoping it goes to one of you.

Cheers,
Kcw984
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 9

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
crimemasterGoGo wrote:
waitlisted after interview. any idea who many ppl make it from WL?

can try to ans my own question :)
looks like one third.

from the link: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/12/ ... igans-ross

Q: Being waitlisted can be a real drag for an applicant. Last year you put 472 people on the waitlist and admitted 131 of them. Do you have guidelines on how big your waitlist should be?

A. It’s more natural. It happens when we review an application and we’re just not sure that we have a place yet. It’s not a matter of we want to have only 100 people on the waitlist and that’s the only number we allow. We let it be as big or small as the evaluators see fit. But we try to minimize the stress of being on the waitlist. If an applicant is waitlisted in round one, we communicate with them again in round two to say if there is a positive decision, we will let you know with the round two folks, if not sooner. If you don’t hear from us that means you will remain on the waitlist, but know that we are still reviewing you. When we get to the summer, we try to release as many folks as we can. If we know that we only got ten spots in the class that we are flexing, we are not going to keep 300 people on the waitlist. So we try to winnow it down as much as we can as we go.

For the second evaluators, we highly encourage them not to waitlist people. So I ask them, ‘If you had to tip the scales one way or the other, which way would you go?’
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MR2015 wrote:
aerien wrote:
MR2015 wrote:
I'm in need of some advice

I was waitlisted w/o interview in round 1. I sent an initial update stating that I have enrolled in a Calc class to supplement my weak quantitative transcript (non-business undergrad.) I now have the chance to update again, and I'm considering retaking the GMAT in hopes of getting a higher score. I would have to do this before Apr 12. My original score is a 700 (Q46 V40.) Is it worth doing, considering the limited amount of time, and the fact that I'd now be up against round 3 competition as well as the rest of the waitlist?

I've also already been admitted to USC with a substantial scholarship. I'm looking to go into hospitality/tourism consulting, and USC has fairly good connections in that portion of the industry, but I know that Ross places better in consulting overall.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Where do you want to be and what part of hospitality/tourism do you want to go into? If you want to do tourism/entertainment USC will give you great connections into the Hollywood scene and even into sports teams, etc.

My previous experience is in the restaurant industry, but I'm pretty open to anything in the realm of hospitality/tourism industry.

You probably have some great experience already to set you up for success! Are you looking to be in NY/Chicago vs LA/SF or elsewhere? Obviously USC will be great for California placements but Ross will give you a more national scope.

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 19

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
PDX105 wrote:
Waitlisted without interview. Any others in this situation? For those that were invited to interview after being waitlisted w/o interview, how long did that invitation come after the initial WL decision?

I was waitlisted in R1 without interview, and was subsequently invited to interview when the first wave of R2 interview invitations went out (around Jan 10th). I know, from this board, quite a few WL applicants were invited to interview in that wave, and in the subsequent waves. You can probably find the dates of these waves on Soojin's blog.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
watersorbet wrote:
Hey Guys. I wanted to see how you all had interpreted this excerpt from the blog entry on 4/15:

"We'll need to see how many deposits are received by May 1 to have a sense of the number of admission offers we can make for Round 3 and waitlisted applicants. Round 3 decisions will be released on May 15. The waitlist will continue to be reviewed throughout the summer as space becomes available in the class."

It makes me think that they will only be notifying round 3 people and not waitlist. Thoughts?

Hi watersorbet

if you look at the post from 2/26, it says:

"Included in our Round 2 review will be a re-review of Round 1 waitlisted candidates.". If they follow the same pattern, people WL'ed in R2 will be considered among R3, so good luck for you :-D
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.72
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 00:51
Me too. WL w/o interview.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 16:52
Me 3. W/L w/o Interview. There's over a 100 on the Google group so I'm sure there are more GMAT clubbers there. I wonder if the interview invite % this year was lesser that last.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 22:41
How much of a difference lies between WL w/interview and WL w/o interview ?

The chase begins ...

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 23:15
dreamchase wrote:
How much of a difference lies between WL w/interview and WL w/o interview ?

From what I've heard, a LOT. For me if they felt strong enough to call you for an interview, that shows a lot in comparison to just a wait-list, which would need to be followed by an interview, contingent to the quality of similar profiles in the next round. I would go as far as saying twice as much likely to be preferred if not more.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.07

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 16:37
Hi all,

I've just been invited to interview and I was wailisted in R1. Can anyone give me an insight as so what my chances are now?
Expert Post
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 16:50
Expert's post
jpgmny wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been invited to interview and I was wailisted in R1. Can anyone give me an insight as so what my chances are now?

I'd say your chances are as good as anyone else's in R2! Good luck and rock that interview!!

aerien

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.72
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 20:39
jpgmny wrote:
Hi all,

Congratulations. >>> I havn't heard any yet. >>>
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 22:00
I am invited to interview. Such a great surprise! (WL from R1)
Manager
Manager

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 13:13
Did anyone send the 'update' yet, particularly those who were waitlisted with interview ?

The chase begins ...

Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 14:40
I sent Ross my wait-list withdrawal email today. Also one to Cornell accepting their ding.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 06:46
I am a R1 waitlisted candidate. I was asked to interview last week which was a nice surprise. I interview with an Alumnus. Now hoping for the best. Best of luck to you all. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 11:57
When do R1 waitlist hear back ? Any news?

The chase begins ...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 11:05
quick question. does anyone know if Ross waitlists any candidates that they've already interviewed?
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2013, 11:05