Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross(No Cash)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting Career(SupplyChainServices)?

• 55% [5]
  • 44% [4]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Ross(No Cash) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 10:50
Hi All,

Well, here is my situation.

Last edited by fjay5272 on 15 Apr 2013, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 10:55
Expert's post
Do you want to stay in Michigan long term? If so, going to MSU should get you a great job in SCM. If you want to go outside of Michigan/the Midwest, you'll have a tough time out of MSU -- Ross would set you up better for that.

Have you looked into Ross' Tauber program? They're great in SCM/Ops and they have ties to great consulting firms in that area. You could also ask Ross to see if they can match MSU's offer as money sounds very important to you in deciding schools.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
fjay5272 wrote:
Hi All,

Well, here is my situation. I qualify for a partial Post 9/11 GI Bill, which will cover 80% of my tuition at either school, plus some living expense money. But if I chose to Broad, I could take the full ride and not have to use the Post 9/11 benefit (which I could save and use for my kids or wife down the road).

Are you out of the military or separating to go to B-school?

If the answer is yes, I don't think you can transfer that GI-Bill...especially since you're not even married yet. As someone who's done a ton of research on the GI Bill, I know as an officer, you have to commit to another 4 years of service to transfer it and you need to have a dependent to transfer it to.

Use that GI Bill while you can. Getting an MBA at Ross' caliber for 80% is a no brainer. Yes living apart from your fiance will suck financially and isn't the most ideal situation, but in the long view a Ross MBA will open more doors than Broad will.

Another point: Even if you could transfer the benefits, the fact the GI Bill underwent a significant change in its first two years of existence makes me wonder what its near future holds, let alone what kind of benefit it will provide 20+ years from now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 19:46
I'd post a link to the portion of the VA website that covers this, but I do not appear to have enough posts yet.

Last edited by fjay5272 on 15 Apr 2013, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 23:09
Personally, I'd take Ross, especially given your goals of transitioning into consulting. Forgive my ignorance since I know very little about the GI Bill, but if your fiancee is going for a PhD, wouldn't it be fully funded by the program (MSU?). If that's the case, what, if anything, could the GI Bill do for her?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 05:33
fjay5272 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

Are you out of the military or separating to go to B-school?

If the answer is yes, I don't think you can transfer that GI-Bill...especially since you're not even married yet. As someone who's done a ton of research on the GI Bill, I know as an officer, you have to commit to another 4 years of service to transfer it and you need to have a dependent to transfer it to.

From what I have read you have to put in a total of 10 years or you have to have atleast 6 on the books and commit to an additional 4 to transfer to a dependent. And while you have to be a member of the armed services at the time of the transfer, you could very easily sign up in the reserves as a non-ob contract, hang out for a couple months, make the transfer, and then check back out. (I think the 10 years thing only works if you currently hold a rank that will lead to being forced out; ie Sgt at 12 yrs of service for USMC. So this propably much different for officers)

I agree with your take on the 20 years out part, but my fiance is planning on getting her PHD in the next few years, so I can see a benefit for transferring.

I'd post a link to the portion of the VA website that covers this, but I do not appear to have enough posts yet.

Here's the link: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html I'm not exactly following the part where you can check back out after making the transfer if you owe another 4 years. Sounds like at a minimum you'd have to be a drilling reservist for 4 years from the date you transferred the bennies...and like I stated before, your fiance isn't a dependent yet.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 05:40
Something else to consider: You have 36 months of GI Bill benefits, and an MBA only takes up 18. Why not go to Ross, then transfer the remaining portion to your fiance? Best of both worlds: You get to go to a much, much, better school and still be able to get a portion of your fiance's PhD paid for.

Re: Ross(No Cash) vs MSU-Broad(full ride)-Consulting(SupplyChain   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 05:40