Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 01:01
Guys,

I'm in the process of school selection. I need to choose one safety (well not exactly that, rather my cut off point). I'm interested in shifting to Management Consulting or staying in Investment Banking. I' work in the financial services sector (buy side) in the Middle East.

I liked both schools. Which school would be better for MC, and which for IB for someone with my profile in particular?

As well which has a better international brand name, particularly in Asia/Middle East?

Currently I'm slightly edging towards UMich.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
This has been discussed a few times here...

I think the general consensus is that both schools offer great opportunities in both fields. I have heard Duke's MC placements tend to be in the Atlanta offices, but other than that I don't think you will find much difference. Both are tremendous schools, and I certainly wouldn't consider either a safety with how tough it is going to be in the coming year (unless you are a super star).

One last thing to consider is that Michigan has one of the largest, if not the largest, alumni base in the world. This, coupled with the fact that Duke's program is younger (founded only in 1976ish), may mean Michigan is a slightly better brand name, but I will let someone with international experience speak to the truth of that.

Either way, best of luck, and here are two threads that discuss the Fuqua/Ross comparison, one from here, and one from BW.

BW - http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=71396
Here - http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t43385

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 05:54
Kudos Sam77sam77. You raise some valid points. And thank you for pointing out the other threads.

sam77sam7 wrote:
This has been discussed a few times here...

I think the general consensus is that both schools offer great opportunities in both fields. I have heard Duke's MC placements tend to be in the Atlanta offices, but other than that I don't think you will find much difference. Both are tremendous schools, and I certainly wouldn't consider either a safety with how tough it is going to be in the coming year (unless you are a super star).

One last thing to consider is that Michigan has one of the largest, if not the largest, alumni base in the world. This, coupled with the fact that Duke's program is younger (founded only in 1976ish), may mean Michigan is a slightly better brand name, but I will let someone with international experience speak to the truth of that.

Either way, best of luck, and here are two threads that discuss the Fuqua/Ross comparison, one from here, and one from BW.

BW - http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=71396
Here - 103-t43385

~Sam
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 13:19
Kudos!! Very Helpful
Re: Ross VS Fuqua for MC and IB. suggestions pls   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2008, 13:19