Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross vs INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 05:16
Guys,
Need your unbiased view on quite a tough choice.
•INSEAD w/o $. Scholarship decisions are made by the school in March) and in the best case I may get EUR5-7k.
•ROSS with $$$ (full tuition scholarship)

ROSS
Strong name in my target areas; great financial assistance (no loan required!); probably less intense study (i.e I’ll have more time to experience other than study things). But big concern is the US market hostility towards foreign students (I am from Europe), especially in my target areas.

INSEAD
Great reputation and probably a slightly stronger brand. Huge alumni network, although I think that is an overestimated feature. One year program that is quite important given my age (31 at matriculation). However, attending INSEAD would leave me with a loan and w/o any savings.

===
Right now I am leaning towards Ross for two reasons. Given the current economic situation ignoring a 100k scholarship gift is not wise. Also, Ross’s program pace will let me more time learning what I truly want and trying that through an internship and MAP projects.

Last edited by AN225 on 16 Apr 2012, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Wow, full tuition is a great thing, congrats!
if you don't mind working in the States after MBA, I'd say go to Ross.

"A leader is the one who climbs the tallest tree, surveys the entire situations, and yells, 'Wrong jungle!'" - Stephen Covey

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 00:51
batman28 wrote:
Oh and I gotta give you another crucial point..

Industries...especially manufacturing are not really as likely to work out visa issues as readily and smoothly as financial or consulting firms. As a European national, it may be an additional hurdle for you to directly go to a manufacturing company out of Ross. If you are already in, it could be less of an issue.

Posted from my mobile device Image

You are echoing my concerns that probably the only industries that may sponsor you are finance and consulting.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
I think this really comes down to where you want to work afterwards - INSEAD has a great brand name abroad, but it's not that well known in the US outside of consulting/finance circles that keep close track of the MBA rankings.

If you're thinking about working in Europe, then INSEAD makes more sense for you.

Another few things to consider is

- US Visa issues. It is true that it is still tough to get a job in industry and not all companies will sponsor. The plus side for you that most companies in Operations and Supply Chain tend to sponsor so you may not find that to be as difficult as other internationals who are gunning for CPG Marketing, for instance

- 1Yr vs 2Yr - A 2 year program means internship opportunities which means a higher probability of switching both function and industry. This is much harder to do from one year programs such as INSEAD.

You have great options either way so you can't go wrong - I'll say focus on where you want to work first and make the decision from there.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Wow congrats on both! Although a tough decision, you're definitely in a great place. A full scholarship to Ross is definitely hard to turn down. Maybe Ross can get you in touch with some alums with similar backgrounds in your target jobs for you to talk through this with someone who has been through this. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 06:46
tgrlil wrote:
Wow congrats on both! Although a tough decision, you're definitely in a great place. A full scholarship to Ross is definitely hard to turn down. Maybe Ross can get you in touch with some alums with similar backgrounds in your target jobs for you to talk through this with someone who has been through this. Good luck!

Last edited by tgrlil on 18 Jan 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 07:24
Hi guys,

before making suggestions like " I am leaning to Ross as well" please make some simple calculations.
The difference in cash flows is almost immaterial.
I have sent the author my calculations and he can assure that the difference is not so material.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 08:39
dude - take the ROSS offer hands down..

You are not from mainland China or anything, folks who have long visa waits and so. the european school would almost shut doors for you to come back to US. You have worked here and if you have liked it stateside so far, then take the ROSS offer.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 13:04
PTK wrote:
Hi guys,

before making suggestions like " I am leaning to Ross as well" please make some simple calculations.
The difference in cash flows is almost immaterial.
I have sent the author my calculations and he can assure that the difference is not so material.

Although financial considerations do factor in, I doubt that's the determining factor in many people's "suggestions". There are many other reasons why one might choose Ross over INSEAD. Rest assured that the financial calculations are made by most.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 03:39
IMHO, salary comparison (especially, averages between schools) is pointless:

Operations are paid worse than IB, but better than marketing. But if you like operations (or finance) in top schools you'll get access to more or less same companies.
Another factor that skews $$ statistcis completely is taxation. The US, EU, and Dubai/Russia tax rates convert the same salary into three absolutely different numbers.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
I would argue that INSEAD doesn't make a lot of sense for people who are looking for major shifts in their career - a staggering 65% of all graduates go into Consulting and Finance and this is partly a function of the 1yr year program which limits major shifts in career (Consulting and Finance tends to not care about prior experience and background over pure smartness).

That said, if you already have the background to get to your post-MBA job and won't need the time to "discover yourself" then INSEAD will be a better value proposition...although I personally enjoy the US life ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 08:11
woomba wrote:
I would argue that INSEAD doesn't make a lot of sense for people who are looking for major shifts in their career - a staggering 65% of all graduates go into Consulting and Finance and this is partly a function of the 1yr year program which limits major shifts in career (Consulting and Finance tends to not care about prior experience and background over pure smartness).

That said, if you already have the background to get to your post-MBA job and won't need the time to "discover yourself" then INSEAD will be a better value proposition...although I personally enjoy the US life ;)

---
~20% of students are company-sponsored, so those you need to substract from 65% of con/fin graduates. But that is true, two main employees of INSEAD students are C and F.
Also, I would heavily challenge your statement that F companies don't care about your previos experience.

Aside from a small number of very specific positions (PE, HF, Investment Management), most Finance positions are pretty willing to take people with little experience in finance as long as you have the drive and the technical knowledge (which you will learn in school). They're also surprisingly more networking oriented, so much of the recruiting process is going to corporate events and schmoozing with the recruiters and impressing them with your enthusiam.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 08:02
Unlike that in the US and Europe, the income tax rate in Russia is 13% :)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:57
If I were in your shoes, I would also go with Ross.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 15:46
PTK wrote:
Unlike that in the US and Europe, the income tax rate in Russia is 13% :)

In Bulgaria the income tax is 10% and in Dubai.. income tax does not exist [at least for foreigners]]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs INSEAD [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 08:47
If you want to work in the U.S and also involve yourself in extra curriculars while in school the extra year at Ross would give you more opportunity to travel on social treks as well as an opportunity for a summer operations internship. The full tuition scholarship plus lower cost of living in Ann Arbor makes the extra 1 year cost negligible. Comparing 1 year Insead tuition vs. 1 year forgone wages makes the finances quite equal, tipping the scales to Ross when adding Summer Internship money.

Congrats on the scholarship its a great opportunity.
Re: Ross vs INSEAD   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2012, 08:47