Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross vs. Tepper-Operations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 11:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I very much liked both of these schools when I visited and now have a decision to make. My future career goals are operations consulting, but entrepreneurship and the support of student ventures is also important as well as marketing since that is my past role. I see on the US news ranking in the gmatclub school guide Tepper is ranked as #2 in ops and #3 in logistics. I do not see a rank for Ross on this. I felt Ross was very strong in these areas, but Tepper really is showing high. What do you guys think of these two schools in the above mentioned areas?

Becky
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 11:40
It says Ross is 5 and 10 in those rankings. Doesn't seem like it'd be that big a difference. I find those specialty rankings as an indicator on what each school is strong at, not so much useful for comparing schools. I mean you wouldn't go to Tepper over HBS just b/c Tepper is ranked higher in those areas right?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 11:54
I generally do not give rankings much weight, but when I saw Tepper scored so high it made me rethink my inclination to accept Ross regardless of Tepper or any admit which may be coming my way. Of the two schools I thought Ross had nicer facilities but I really enjoyed the students and the community at Tepper.

Becky
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper (R2) , Johnson (R2) , Ross (R2) , Wharton (R2) , Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 03:54
I think I can relate (despite the Ross WL!)...
Ross seems to have a more vibrant community, very nice facilities, MAP, leadership and entrepreneurship focus, promising placement stats in consulting
On the other hand, Tepper has a home-y feel to it due to the very small class, famous quantitative emphasis (Management Science)...

International opportunities may be a factor...honestly can't figure out which school has the edge there...

Thank you for the Kudos :)

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 10:42
Expert's post
Hi tigerbeck,

Good job talking to students and visiting the campus; it's great that you did both. One thing I want to mention, particularly if you'd like to pursue consulting post graduation, is that you should consider which firms you would like to work for post-graduation. Then talk to the career centers at each school to see which companies recruit from the school. Careers centers are surprisingly honest and open about the information.

This is very important, because in terms of the big international firms that recruit heavily, the MBA programs they target are:

Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Kellogg
Chicago
Michigan
Wharton

Kellogg has an outrageous number of people going to McKinsey, for example. Many of these firms only recruit at select schools, or they recruit at their top six schools and then will also do some more local recruiting for local offices.

I hope this was of help. I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 15:04
I am currently at Ross and if you have not taken a look at the Tauber Institute here, then you should. There are a large number of my classmates enrolled in this program which basically requires you to take an additional operations course each term and guarantees an operations-related internship. I am not all that familiar with the program but those I have spoken to seem very happy with it.

Plus Ross wins hands down for consulting....just my humble opinion though.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 18:57
dghazer wrote:
I am currently at Ross and if you have not taken a look at the Tauber Institute here, then you should. There are a large number of my classmates enrolled in this program which basically requires you to take an additional operations course each term and guarantees an operations-related internship. I am not all that familiar with the program but those I have spoken to seem very happy with it.

Plus Ross wins hands down for consulting....just my humble opinion though.

I agree with dghazer.

Don't look at specialty rankings too seriously. Specialty rankings are a good way to recognize lower-ranking programs for their core strengths (i.e. Thunderbird for intl. business, Babson for entrepreneurship, etc.). Tepper is a strong program, especially in supply chain and operations, but I wouldn't choose Tepper over Ross on the basis of specialty rankings alone. You should have excellent access to operations consulting jobs through Ross/Tauber, and it's the stronger school overall if your career plans change.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper (R2) , Johnson (R2) , Ross (R2) , Wharton (R2) , Kellogg (R2)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 00:45
Great input from everybody...
I wish a Tepper student could weigh in as well...some insider's insights are always welcome :)

Thank you for the Kudos :)

Re: Ross vs. Tepper-Operations   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2011, 00:45