Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which program should I choose?

• 70% [36]
  • 29% [15]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:09
Just looking for some opinions as I'm completely torn on what to do.

I've been accepted to Ross with no money whatsoever and also to Wisconsin's Corporate Finance and Investment Banking specialization with a project assistantship, which would require me to work approximately 15 hours a week but which would also cover full tuition, $10k stipend per academic year, and comprehensive health benefits. Obviously Ross is more highly regarded, but I am wondering if the Wisconsin offer is too good to turn down.

My profile is as follows:

White / caucasian male, 28 years old and just under 6 years of solid work experience (1 year in consulting and the last several years in financial analysis at a Fortune 500 company) at matriculation, GMAT: 690 (43Q 41V), interested in moving into corporate development for either a tech / e-commerce, CPG, or other retail company. I'm looking to end up in Chicago post-MBA, but I'm open to other locations depending on the job.

Are the prestige, network, and recruiting at Ross enough to offset the money Wisconsin is offering me, especially with my goals? I have visited both schools and found both campuses to be lovely. I could see myself at either school. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by Midwest6 on 29 Jan 2013, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:36
[url][/url]
Midwest6 wrote:
Are the prestige, network, and recruiting at Ross enough to offset the money Wisconsin is offering me, especially with my goals? I have visited both schools and found both campuses to be lovely. I could see myself at either school. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

In my mind, yes. It's tempting to have school covered and come out with no debt, but I think the gap here is just too big. Taking the longview, Ross will have better recruiting opportunities right after graduation and will provide a much stronger network as you progress in your career. Ross places well in Chicago, I'm not sure about Wisconsin. With Kellogg, Booth, and Ross in the region, I'd imagine top companies in Chicago don't do much recruiting there (this is just an assumption, someone feel free to prove me wrong).

Compare the employment reports to see what the differences are in opportunities post-MBA:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/MBA/MBA_Empl_rep.pdf
http://bus.wisc.edu/mba/your-career/job-placement-salary-stats

Another turnoff for me for the Wisconsin deal is the 15 hours of work a week - that's time you could be spending recruiting/networking/participating in clubs/enjoying life.

Congrats on the acceptances!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Last edited by CobraKai on 29 Jan 2013, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:40
Cant understand how GMAT clubbers actually vote for Wisconsin, but the gap is WAY too high. Not worth trading a solid Top 13 school for a Top 25 school.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:15
CobraKai wrote:
With Kellogg, Booth, and Ross

Dont forget about Mendoza and Kelley.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:26
Well, I guess you applied acknowledging that there is a huge chance you'll have to finance the whole stuff out of pocket... So why it should be your first consideration?

My vote is for Ross.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:40
I understand where you're coming from, but seriously it would be Ross.

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:18
I didn't apply to Ross, but all the schools I applied to include health benefits when you enroll. I believe all grad schools do.

Ross is a much larger program--this is worth thinking about. I just looked it up at it's 5 times the size (1000 vs 215). That is a HUGE difference in culture.

I'm with Cobra: working during business school sounds horrendous. If you could negotiate that away, perhaps, but I'd rather spend my time attending recruiting events, leading clubs, and networking.

Can you talk to other admitted students and see who you connect with more? Reach out to alums and current students as well in your target area. Finally, talk to the career center people. That was the most helpful thing I did when deciding. They are a wealth of information!

If you have these chats and decide that Wisconsin is just as good a fit as Michigan, then enjoy. I think you may end up being more impressed by the Ross people in the end, but god speed either way.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:16
I agree with the overall trend of this thread. I tend to view schools in competitive clusters based on companies that recruit there and consensus rankings. Within a cluster I think people should go with the school they fit best with, regardless of actual ranks and at times money can make a difference. However, I would not put Ross and Wisconsin in the same school grouping.

If you are recruiting for IB, I would say that Ross gives you the opportunity to go to New York (or anywhere) whereas at Wisconsin you likely will have to be in Chicago, where frankly there are much fewer opportunities for banking, since Wisconsin is a much more regional business school. Like people said, you will also be competing with people from Booth and Kellogg that want to stay in Chicago, as well as people from other schools that can make a solid case for going to Chicago (i.e. they are from there originally). Ross puts you on equal footing in Chicago whereas Wisconsin does not, and opens up more national opportunities.

I did IB recruiting this past fall in New York and at multi-school networking events hosted by companies I did encounter folks from Ross...I did not see anyone from Wisconsin to be honest. That's not to say that you can't get NYC IB from Wisconsin, but I would pay special attention to the employment report and even try to reach out to alumni to gauge the feasibility. Based on my brief knowledge of the schools, it seems a much more difficult task from Wisconsin.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 20:11
I think everyone here is on the money. Since your goals are quite specific about wanting to move into IB in Chicago, you should definitely speak to recruiters, career center, alums and current students who want to pursue similar goals.

That said, I think having that Project Assistantship and stipend on the resume could also help; but on the other hand, it could eat away at some valuable time during your MBA (recruiting, networking, groupwork etc.)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 21:55
Just a current Wisconsin student chiming in here, I have full scholi due to project assistantship as well and 13 hrs is overestimated. It's some kind of requirement to call it 1/3 of a 40hr work week, really it's much less. And it's something to put on resume to brag about. Plus might want to think about being able to freely choose what you want to do when you graduate and not on chasing the paycheck to make payment on that 100k debt you incurred.
Re: Ross vs Wisconsin ($$$)   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2013, 21:55