Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 14:54
mistablair wrote:
I am going to apply next fall (I'm from Toronto), but it's kind of a wake up call to see how low the salaries were last year. I work in wealth management and earn just below that average. Money isn't the main driver in earning my MBA, but it certainly has to play a part when I'm paying $100k+ with expenses. How can Rotman be so expensive when schools just South of the border are the same price yet offer graduation salaries significantly higher than Toronto? Most are also in regions with lower costs of living than Toronto. I would be happy if the salarieswere just comparable, but they are $10-15k lower than many Top 30 US Schools.

Schools south of the border cannot offer something that Rotman can: access to a career in Canada. This is something that might sound trivial, but a lot people are willing to pay top money to move there.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 08:04
Ducksworth wrote:
mistablair wrote:
I am going to apply next fall (I'm from Toronto), but it's kind of a wake up call to see how low the salaries were last year. I work in wealth management and earn just below that average. Money isn't the main driver in earning my MBA, but it certainly has to play a part when I'm paying $100k+ with expenses. How can Rotman be so expensive when schools just South of the border are the same price yet offer graduation salaries significantly higher than Toronto? Most are also in regions with lower costs of living than Toronto. I would be happy if the salarieswere just comparable, but they are $10-15k lower than many Top 30 US Schools.

Schools south of the border cannot offer something that Rotman can: access to a career in Canada. This is something that might sound trivial, but a lot people are willing to pay top money to move there.

Ducksworth, you know I love you, but I can`t say I agree here. I know a lot of people in Montreal that have gotten an education in a top 10 US school and they often have first pick when it comes to jobs back in Canada. It`s a little frustrating for some of us Canadians to admit, but those top degrees in the US come with a lot of clout, and our Canadian MBAs just don`t offer the same wow factor.

For example, McKizzle (I choose McKizzle because I feel it is representative of industry regard) hires some Canadian MBA talent, but they recruit much more heavily in the top 5 US schools. I`m going to McGill and I hope to work at McKinsey in Management Consulting, but I know I`ll most likely end up at a KPMG or Deloitte type shop. Had I busted my butt a little harder on the GMAT, applied to all top 10 US schools, thrown caution to the wind, tossed my bank account into the crapper and my relationship out the window I could possibly have attended a top school. Then, though I might have been only two steps away from bleeding out into a warm bath, I would have graduated with a much stronger likelihood of being picked up by a McKinsey, BCG or Bain.

The way I understand it, is that those top $200k starting salary jobs just don`t exist in Canada (unless you`re an IBer - and even there a top US degree would serve you better). So yes, a Rotman graduate is more likely to get a job in Canada. However, I think that`s simply because a top US MBA grad isn`t interested by those jobs in the first place. I hope I`m wrong, I`m just a little more cynical that you on this one.

... Or are you just talking about international students buying their way into Canada?

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 215

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
You know I love you even more :) I was talking indeed about international students.

What I mean is that for non-Canadians, after a Canadian MBA it is straightforward to get a visa in order to get a job. However, coming from say, an MBA program in the US, getting a visa can be very difficult since your occupation needs to be in shortage and there is a lot of hurdle. If you are set on moving to Canada, the natural path is to do an MBA and just stay there. This is where I think it could make sense to pay premium fees for a Canadian education.

Now, for Canadians, it is a completely different story.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 09:38
Actually, I am interested in your opinion Carl, regarding perceived prestige in Canada for international MBAs. How would you say they are ranked? For example, M7, Insead/LBS, Oxbridge, etc...
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 10:04
Ducksworth wrote:
You know I love you even more :) I was talking indeed about international students.

What I mean is that for non-Canadians, after a Canadian MBA it is straightforward to get a visa in order to get a job. However, coming from say, an MBA program in the US, getting a visa can be very difficult since your occupation needs to be in shortage and there is a lot of hurdle. If you are set on moving to Canada, the natural path is to do an MBA and just stay there. This is where I think it could make sense to pay premium fees for a Canadian education.

Now, for Canadians, it is a completely different story.

Duksworth, as an international student can not agree more. The tuition fees for Queen's and Ivey are of the order of 90k-100k CAD even though they are 1 year MBA programs. This is the premium fees which you are probably referring to.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 10:19
Carl,

Do you have some idea regarding McGill placement in Finance jobs in Montreal ? The reason asking this because there in intense competition for Finance jobs in Toronto(Rotman, Queen, Ivey etc) so was thinking that maybe in Montreal the competition is less.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Current Student

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 07:01
AbhiJ wrote:
Carl,

Do you have some idea regarding McGill placement in Finance jobs in Montreal ? The reason asking this because there in intense competition for Finance jobs in Toronto(Rotman, Queen, Ivey etc) so was thinking that maybe in Montreal the competition is less.
AbhiJ,
McGill`s placement in Mtl is the best of any Canadian school. However, Toronto`s market for finance is many times bigger than Montreal`s, and unless you know French, you`ll probably only be eligible for about 30%-50% of the Montreal jobs available. Sorry, bro.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
Actually, I am interested in your opinion Carl, regarding perceived prestige in Canada for international MBAs. How would you say they are ranked? For example, M7, Insead/LBS, Oxbridge, etc...
Ducksworth,
You know as well as I do that "perceived prestige" changes from person to person, from year to year and from ranking to ranking. All I can do is tell you how I see these programs fairing in the hands of a Canadian recruiter (the fact we`re comparing 1yr and 2yr programs only complicates the matter). Also, different industries value schools differently (Bay street would love an LBS graduate, an MC firm would love an INSEAD graduate).
Anyways, my very humble opinion as to the "ranking of perceived prestige of international MBAs in Canada" is the following:

1. Harvard (for some reason, anytime a Harvard grad walks by, strangers whisper "he went to Harvard")
2. Wharton (even though it has a terrible name, this school is all business)
3. Stanford (from memory, highest consistent GMAT avg anywhere)
4. LBS (Pompous and proud)
5. MIT (Ironman went to MIT)
6. Columbia (Columbia, it's in Manhattan, if you can`t weasel your way into some ivory tower, move back to whence you came and pick strawberries)
7. INSEAD (hands down, the most international program, by far)
8. IMD (I personally love the small class size of IMD and refrained from bumping it higher)
9. Oxford (come on, best dressed anyone!?)
10. Cambridge (they won the goat race, but oxford still dresses better, ref: http://www.thegoatrace.org/)
11. Chicago (I know I`m going to upset someone, but give me a break ok)
12. Kellogg (I hear they`re la crème de la crème in the MC business)
13. IE (Sorry, Madrid, Spain`s street credit just ain`t what it used to be)

That list is so arbitrary I just upchucked a little in my mouth, but there you have it. If anyone sees it differently, please feel free to share your ideas, concerns or hatred anytime. Anyone think the Canadian MBA schools can compete with these lucky 13?

Carl

Last edited by CarlMtl on 31 May 2013, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 07:51
CarlMtl wrote:
1. Harvard (for some reason, anytime a Harvard grad walks by, strangers whisper "he went to Harvard")
6. Columbia (Columbia, it's in Manhattan, if you can`t weasel your way into some ivory tower, move back to whence you came and pick strawberries)
8. IMD (I personally love the small class size of IMD and refrained from bumping it higher)
10. Cambridge (they won the goat race, but oxford still dresses better, ref: http://www.thegoatrace.org/)
12. Kellogg (I hear they`re la crème de la crème is the MC business)
Carl

Fantastic ranking. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really value that your share your knowledge.
Current Student

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 08:45
Ducksworth wrote:
Fantastic ranking. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really value that your share your knowledge.
My pleasure, Ducksworth, it`s nice to be appreciated.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Carl

As per the latest rankings, canadian business schools are highly regarded by employers. In businessweek's employer survey rank for universities outside the US, McGill ranks #3 only behind LBS and INSEAD while rotman ranks 4th and queen's 5th above the likes of oxford(7th), HEC paris(13th) and IMD(14th)

In QS's mba rankings which only relies on employers opinion, rotman and McGill rank 13th and 14th respectively above the likes of Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell. Ivey ranks#12 by the way!

Therefore i do believe that canadian mbas are more than able to stand their ground against the big boys. As for your ranking Carl, i mostly agree with it but i would swap LBS's spot with INSEAD's :) and i probably wouldn't even consider IE
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
temuod wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Carl

As per the latest rankings, canadian business schools are highly regarded by employers. In businessweek's employer survey rank for universities outside the US, McGill ranks #3 only behind LBS and INSEAD while rotman ranks 4th and queen's 5th above the likes of oxford(7th), HEC paris(13th) and IMD(14th)

In QS's mba rankings which only relies on employers opinion, rotman and McGill rank 13th and 14th respectively above the likes of Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell. Ivey ranks#12 by the way!

Therefore i do believe that canadian mbas are more than able to stand their ground against the big boys. As for your ranking Carl, i mostly agree with it but i would swap LBS's spot with INSEAD's :) and i probably wouldn't even consider IE

Well said, Sir. Can't say I disagree - good find on the businessweek ranking.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman '15 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 22:36
Hi guys,

Just got an email for an Admit.( I applied in R4). Anyone going to Rotman from Delhi/Bangalore? need help . Lots of questions and lots to be done. PM or post your reply fast.

Cheers
Abhi
McDonough Thread Master
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 08:40
Can any one of the admitted students let me know how much time does Rotman give for deposit payment?

E.g. If I apply for the 4th November deadline this year, the decision will be out by 13th December.
How much time will I have until I have to pay 3000 CAD?

Thanks in advance :)
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Rotman School of Management - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 03:05
kasthubul, usually its 1 month
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 08:34
i wish for some information from you. Is a GMAT700( q50,v33) , and IELTS 7(all four items are over or equal to 6)enough for Rotman, typically for a Chinese mainland applier. Also,i wish to know whether Rotman has a standard on IR part and AWA part? What are the common criteria for those two, respectively? Now i have no working experience, i just want to evaluate some exam requirements. I am waiting for your reply, thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Rotman School of Management - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 12:52
razer727, nice to know. I cant comment on your admission chances in Rotman as the admissions team are the ones who are the decision makers. But as a fellow Gmatclubber i can tell you that GMAT scores alone doesnt count. Its your overall personality meaning your experiences (job as well as life), presentation (essays) and analytical thinking (GMAT) that every school looks at
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 04:01
anandin wrote:
razer727, nice to know. I cant comment on your admission chances in Rotman as the admissions team are the ones who are the decision makers. But as a fellow Gmatclubber i can tell you that GMAT scores alone doesnt count. Its your overall personality meaning your experiences (job as well as life), presentation (essays) and analytical thinking (GMAT) that every school looks at

really appreciate your reply. to be honest, i just graduated from college, and i hope to apply for Rotman Mba after working for two or three years. But i am not sure whether this 700 gmat score will take me in the program three years later(only refer to gmat score, not other compents at first). Today a common Chinese,who are planning to apply Canadian top B school, will get 700 or plus, so i am just wondering if it will be a level of at least 720 gmat score years later. i am recently considering if i should retake the gmat and try to put my score above 720. Absoluately working experience,including life experience, is paramount when applying. Could you give me some advice, thanks.
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 04:01