Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3049 [0], given: 890

Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 11:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Rotman (University of Toronto) Full-time MBA Fall 2013

Fall 2013 Real time Applicant Data

GMATClub Vs Latest Intake

GMATClub Real Time Applicant Stats

GMATClub Real time Applicant Tracker

Detailed Applicant Chart

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 3

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hello guys,

I have got an admit for Rotman MBA for this Fall. I am currently living in NYC and I am planning to go to Toronto by end of July or first week of August.

Does anyone happen to know how much MBA pre-program is going to cost and the exact date of when the pre-program starts. Also, I am trying to locate discussion forums for upcoming students. Please let me know if any such forums exist. Thanks.

Regards,
Akhil
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
samramandy wrote:
Request all those who have been interviewed to share their insight on
- what exactly is the adcom looking for
- what were the kind of questions asked
- was the process very gruelling
- any suggestions you guys have for the future folks who would be interviewed

BR
Mandeep

Hi Mandeep,

My interview experience -

I was recently interviewed by Marie, it was a pleasant interview and lasted approximately 20 minutes. Some of the questions were -

1. Explaining present job profile
2. An incident where I managed a tough subordinate or a team mate
3. An incident where I creatively resolved a problem
4. My weakness

That's all I can recollect right now. Overall, it was not at all a pressure interview....Probably being interviewed by Marie made it all the more relaxed.
I am being asked to wait till November 2012 for the final result.

My suggestion to you would be to be prepared with general questions and thorough with your application, in totality you should be able to reflect a well knit picture of yourself with minimal loose ends.

All the very best to you for the process ahead.

:lol:
Regards
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 215

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
anshulk87 wrote:
Hey guys.. I have just received an offer for admission from Rotman yesterday - without scholarship.. I have also received admission at Queen's with 10k scholarship.. I did my engineering from McMaster Univ and after working in toronto for a couple of years, I returned to India to work in the family business..

On comparing both universities, there is a difference of more than 20k in tuition fees. As far as I understand, Queen's is a fairly well known school but Rotman is doing better in recent rankings. In the long run I am not sure exactly what I will be doing.. But any suggestions on what may be a better choice?

20,000 dollars is peanuts for an entire career... Paying a loan of 20,000 over an entire 30-year career is less than 100 dollars a month! Ssince you are not sure about what you want to do, go for the one that will give you a better network, a broader education, and a better opportunity to think about the future.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
Just another piece of consideration for Anshul would be the duration of course...I believe Queens is a One year course and Rotman is almost a two years course. So would totally depend on your priorities.

The benefit of Queens is a good brand in Canada, Lesser fees(for one year of course), while Rotman offers a better brand(Atleast in finance and strategy over other specializations), Brand of the university,Locational advantage, higher fees(for two years).

The above would be just few of the many factors you should be considering before making your final decision.

Hope it was helpful.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
AbhiJ wrote:
mlsaha wrote:
am applying to Rotman in R 2. Can any body share their experience with video essays. What and how can I prepare for the essay ?

Where is the video essay ? I found only three essays with 500, 250, 250 word limits.

Same here.
I am afraid that the school office is closed till 6th Jan and the deadline is 7th Jan. :(
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
echelon99 wrote:
4 weeks since my interview!

I've got some really good offers in from other unis, do you guys think I should bother Sheldon and ask him for a decision or should I just accept one of the other offers?

Absolutely. Let them know right away you need an answer.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yes, send him a polite email stating that you received acceptance at XXX MBA program and I need to reply by next week and you were wondering if your app can be fast tracked if possible....

Or go into UofT and tell that tell that lanky man that you got in and I need an choice NOWWWW or else.....!!!!!!!!!! ASSSAPPPPP WOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I did the email option and they fast tracked my app and found out within a few days....Hope it helps

ASAP Biaatcch
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from Niki (Director of Admissions) telling me I've been accepted to Rotman for 2013!

Just in case anyone wanted to know the timeline:

-Did my GMAT on Feb 12, 2013
-Feb 19th - Went to meet Lynda at Admissions for a pre-application review. We went over some of my info at that time, and I gave her my Unofficial Score Report at that time.
-Feb 21st - I called in to Lynda because there was some mix up about my application. We sorted it out and she asked me to come interview on the 26th.
-Feb 26th - The interview was very pleasant and she mostly asked questions I was expecting. Thanks to all who posted about their interview experiences! It really helped.
-March 2nd - Official Score Report was made available to me.
-March 4th - Notification from Rotman that my application was now considered complete (must have received the Official Score Report).
-March 5th - Called by Niki to inform me of my acceptance.

I'm very pleased with the acceptance and will be attending Rotman in the Fall. Looking forward to meeting with all of you there!

My profile - Male, 23 years old (24 in April), 3.3 GPA, 720 GMAT (49Q, 40V, 6 AWA, 6 IR), will have 2 years work experience by the time I start at Rotman. I currently work in Industrial/Commercial Real Estate Management.

PM me if you have any questions. I don't know how much I can help anyone, but I will definitely try.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions to this forum. I can honestly say it does actually help potential students. :D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!!!! :-D Got a call from Sheldon and an email from Niki a couple of hours later! Still hasn't sunk in though, but I can live with it :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
In
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
I am going to apply next fall (I'm from Toronto), but it's kind of a wake up call to see how low the salaries were last year. I work in wealth management and earn just below that average. Money isn't the main driver in earning my MBA, but it certainly has to play a part when I'm paying $100k+ with expenses. How can Rotman be so expensive when schools just South of the border are the same price yet offer graduation salaries significantly higher than Toronto? Most are also in regions with lower costs of living than Toronto. I would be happy if the salarieswere just comparable, but they are $10-15k lower than many Top 30 US Schools.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Rotman School of Management - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
Got admitted.! Anyone from Singapore who got admitted? lets meet up
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 10

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
got my admit today. Niki called me and gave me the news. and I got the email a few hour later. Although I'm happy I have also a lot of concerns (you know about the about the almost 130K cost for 2years) and a lot of questions.

The email i received was very empty! I mean there was no link to any student portal. There was no mention of tuition, living costs. There was no link to financial aid or any other page on their website. There was no deadline to answer and accept their offer. There was no mention of the amount you have to put down to reserve your sit. there was no files attached. It only had a link to student ambassador page and they also told me to ask any questions i might have.
Usually schools include such information in their admission offer. At least to make sure you know what you're getting into they tell you again about the cost, deadline and what not.

Did you get the same email? Where is the rest of the information?
Is there going to be a follow up on this email?
Oh, I just remembered it was mentioned that i would receive my admission package shortly but it says the hard copy. (if they don't send it by express mail i will receive it a month later)

If anyone has received more information or has received their package please let me know about the information inside it. thank you.

(BTW: my GmatCLUB is showing very weird. it's like the something has gone wrong with the website coding so everything is jumbled up and the links,images,flash files, are gone. Is this problem just mine or the forum has some problems?)

P.S: Does anyone know what are the conditions for the loan that Rotman provides for international students?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 215

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
You know I love you even more :) I was talking indeed about international students.

What I mean is that for non-Canadians, after a Canadian MBA it is straightforward to get a visa in order to get a job. However, coming from say, an MBA program in the US, getting a visa can be very difficult since your occupation needs to be in shortage and there is a lot of hurdle. If you are set on moving to Canada, the natural path is to do an MBA and just stay there. This is where I think it could make sense to pay premium fees for a Canadian education.

Now, for Canadians, it is a completely different story.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
Actually, I am interested in your opinion Carl, regarding perceived prestige in Canada for international MBAs. How would you say they are ranked? For example, M7, Insead/LBS, Oxbridge, etc...
Ducksworth,
You know as well as I do that "perceived prestige" changes from person to person, from year to year and from ranking to ranking. All I can do is tell you how I see these programs fairing in the hands of a Canadian recruiter (the fact we`re comparing 1yr and 2yr programs only complicates the matter). Also, different industries value schools differently (Bay street would love an LBS graduate, an MC firm would love an INSEAD graduate).
Anyways, my very humble opinion as to the "ranking of perceived prestige of international MBAs in Canada" is the following:

1. Harvard (for some reason, anytime a Harvard grad walks by, strangers whisper "he went to Harvard")
2. Wharton (even though it has a terrible name, this school is all business)
3. Stanford (from memory, highest consistent GMAT avg anywhere)
4. LBS (Pompous and proud)
5. MIT (Ironman went to MIT)
6. Columbia (Columbia, it's in Manhattan, if you can`t weasel your way into some ivory tower, move back to whence you came and pick strawberries)
7. INSEAD (hands down, the most international program, by far)
8. IMD (I personally love the small class size of IMD and refrained from bumping it higher)
9. Oxford (come on, best dressed anyone!?)
10. Cambridge (they won the goat race, but oxford still dresses better, ref: http://www.thegoatrace.org/)
11. Chicago (I know I`m going to upset someone, but give me a break ok)
12. Kellogg (I hear they`re la crème de la crème in the MC business)
13. IE (Sorry, Madrid, Spain`s street credit just ain`t what it used to be)

That list is so arbitrary I just upchucked a little in my mouth, but there you have it. If anyone sees it differently, please feel free to share your ideas, concerns or hatred anytime. Anyone think the Canadian MBA schools can compete with these lucky 13?

Carl

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Last edited by CarlMtl on 31 May 2013, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
1. Harvard (for some reason, anytime a Harvard grad walks by, strangers whisper "he went to Harvard")
6. Columbia (Columbia, it's in Manhattan, if you can`t weasel your way into some ivory tower, move back to whence you came and pick strawberries)
8. IMD (I personally love the small class size of IMD and refrained from bumping it higher)
10. Cambridge (they won the goat race, but oxford still dresses better, ref: http://www.thegoatrace.org/)
12. Kellogg (I hear they`re la crème de la crème is the MC business)
Carl

Fantastic ranking. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really value that your share your knowledge.

As per the latest rankings, canadian business schools are highly regarded by employers. In businessweek's employer survey rank for universities outside the US, McGill ranks #3 only behind LBS and INSEAD while rotman ranks 4th and queen's 5th above the likes of oxford(7th), HEC paris(13th) and IMD(14th)

In QS's mba rankings which only relies on employers opinion, rotman and McGill rank 13th and 14th respectively above the likes of Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell. Ivey ranks#12 by the way!

Therefore i do believe that canadian mbas are more than able to stand their ground against the big boys. As for your ranking Carl, i mostly agree with it but i would swap LBS's spot with INSEAD's :) and i probably wouldn't even consider IE
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
temuod wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
12. Kellogg (I hear they`re la crème de la crème is the MC business)
Carl

Fantastic ranking. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really value that your share your knowledge.

As per the latest rankings, canadian business schools are highly regarded by employers. In businessweek's employer survey rank for universities outside the US, McGill ranks #3 only behind LBS and INSEAD while rotman ranks 4th and queen's 5th above the likes of oxford(7th), HEC paris(13th) and IMD(14th)

In QS's mba rankings which only relies on employers opinion, rotman and McGill rank 13th and 14th respectively above the likes of Yale, Dartmouth and Cornell. Ivey ranks#12 by the way!

Therefore i do believe that canadian mbas are more than able to stand their ground against the big boys. As for your ranking Carl, i mostly agree with it but i would swap LBS's spot with INSEAD's :) and i probably wouldn't even consider IE

Well said, Sir. Can't say I disagree - good find on the businessweek ranking.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 215

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 15:46
What do you think will be the effect of the Dean stepping down?

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/8207eaf4 ... z2AAXMzn00
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 02:24
Request all those who have been interviewed to share their insight on
- what exactly is the adcom looking for
- what were the kind of questions asked
- was the process very gruelling
- any suggestions you guys have for the future folks who would be interviewed

BR
Mandeep
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 22:13
Thanks Sai that was really helpful :)

Request others also to come forward and share their experiences

BR
Mandeep
Re: Rotman (University of Toronto) 2013-Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2012, 22:13