Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman vs Carlson (UMN)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Rotman vs Carlson (UMN) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 13:54
Hello All,

I have admit to both Rotman and Carlson. While I have full scholarship to Carlson, I have none for Rotman. I do want to settle abroad after MBA (I come from India). I want to primarily be involved in business development projects in tech domains.

I heard that it is easier to get a PR in Canada than it is in US. Dilemma Sad

Can anyone give me some insights to help me make a more informed decision?

Thanks!!

(I am awaiting call from Schulich)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Rotman vs Carlson (UMN) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 08:19
Hi,

I too am an applicant from India and have been unsuccessfully applying to b-schools for quite sometime now..
The answer to your question lies in the one liner below. No, I ain't kidding when I am saying this

"Carlson..? What's that? And where is it??"

Personally speaking, I haven;t heard of this school in the last 3-4 years that I have been applying to b-schools. I have had calls and interviews, dings and admits but the financial part is something that I am weak at, so lack of scholarship affects my chances of going for an MBA outside the country

However, having said that.. Rotman is anyday way better than any other b-school in Canada (of course the exception is Ivey, in case you are planning for consulting as a post-MBA career).
So in case you have got the financials part taken care of, I think you should take the jump... All the best..!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rotman vs Carlson (UMN) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 09:26
I would definitely go for Rotman! Better school and better prospects for emmigration.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rotman vs Carlson (UMN) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 11:47
Carlson is well admired regionally. There are tons of fortune 500 companies in the twin cities region who have close ties with Carlson.

Your career goals are little unclear. By business development in Tech, do you mean business dev for consulting companies? IBM, Infosys, Tata? or Biz Dev for high tech silicon valley, Google Facebook?

If earlier is the case, either schools will give you equal opportunities to recruit for those companies. If its the later, you will have difficult time at either of the schools. Fyi, Google is one of the most sought after places to work for MBA graduates as per a recent survey (poetsandquants for detail).

Rotman may open some doors in Toronto financial services specifically. At the same time, going from Carlson to Canada isn't difficult either.

Coming from India, I don't expect you to have $100k in a savings account (I could be wrong). Starting out a similar career/job from one or other, the difference of $100k in debt is going to significant for you in your future personal life and your ability to change careers/geographies. Do keep that in mind.

Please don't "just" go by rankings or who and who hasn't heard about which brand name. Look at your own career goals and see how the school and the education is going to help you.

Yes, the wait is shorter in Canadian immigration processing, that is because there are less immigrants and that is because the opportunities are less. I hope I made my point.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Manager
Manager
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: Rotman vs Carlson (UMN) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 12:38
This is an easy decision. Rotman is a good MBA program at one of the world's best university (University of Toronto), located in one of the world's best city (Toronto). A Rotman degree will open doors in Canada that Carlson cannot, furthermore a Rotman degree will open door outside of North America that Carlson can never open. As mentioned above, it's also very easy for international students to stay and work in Canada. Assuming that the cost is similar for you, Rotman should be the front runner here.
Re: Rotman vs Carlson (UMN)   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 12:38