Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman vs Foster MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 09:11
I have been admitted at both the schools above and would like to know any special advantage that Rotman might offer to offset the low tuition cost and higher starting salaries at Foster.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 23

Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Are you looking/willing to work in Canada post-MBA? If so, Rotman is definitely the way to go. Rotman does have slightly better access to the US than other Canadian schools but if you'd like to work in the US, Foster is the better school. Plus, the Seattle location yields some unique advantages.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
First off, congratulations on getting admitted to both Foster and Rotman!

The question, really, is what you want to do post-MBA, what you did pre-MBA (as this often matters) and where you want to work. Your choice should be guided by that.

For both schools, about 40% land jobs in consulting/finance/accounting. I'm sure the functions and roles will vary by location but I would look closely at the career stats for your desired industry/function/role. For that, I would also speak to a) alums who are working in those fields and b) current students going through recruiting for those fields. They would be able to give you a much better picture of what you can expect.

Do also keep in mind that the salary depends on the job as well. For Foster, 96% got jobs on the west (I would assume a LARGE number in Seattle). It goes as high as 145k and as low as 40k. Don't go by average statistics alone. Of course, TYPICALLY, the US pays more than Canada. There are exceptions and again, it all depends on your goals.

Good luck!
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 03:42
westsidah408 wrote:
First off, congratulations on getting admitted to both Foster and Rotman!

The question, really, is what you want to do post-MBA, what you did pre-MBA (as this often matters) and where you want to work. Your choice should be guided by that.

For both schools, about 40% land jobs in consulting/finance/accounting. I'm sure the functions and roles will vary by location but I would look closely at the career stats for your desired industry/function/role. For that, I would also speak to a) alums who are working in those fields and b) current students going through recruiting for those fields. They would be able to give you a much better picture of what you can expect.

Do also keep in mind that the salary depends on the job as well. For Foster, 96% got jobs on the west (I would assume a LARGE number in Seattle). It goes as high as 145k and as low as 40k. Don't go by average statistics alone. Of course, TYPICALLY, the US pays more than Canada. There are exceptions and again, it all depends on your goals.

Good luck!

Well its a tough call for me on what I want to do post MBA , as per my essays it was consulting :-D . My prior work exp has been in Tech industry and then most recent stint in a boutique consulting firm that deals mostly in credit risk management of SMEs and retail business. For both the schools I had to put up different essays to reflect on the strengths of the program. Having spent close to three years in Risk I wanted to explore more of Finance , but I guess Seattle would be a difficult choice to leave. I am really impressed by the sheer number of Prod Mgmt roles that Amazon has to offer, not to forget the likes of MS , Expedia , Starbucks and T-Mobile could turn out to be equally attractive options. I want to move to BD roles as soon as possible after my B School and then in another 4-5 years would try to get into a VC firm investing in tech startups. I cannot see where Fin would take me and honestly having worked in this industry for sometime I am really looking forward to move out of it.

Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 04:23
Common guys, please provide your valuable inputs

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:12
Uhh... one school is located on the East Coast of North America in Canada, and the other is located on the West Coast of the USA. Pick where you think you'd like to work/network after school. If you don't know the answer to this, then we can't help you.

FWIW, I would have applied to Foster if I didn't get into UCLA, as Seattle and the West Coast in general greatly appeal to me. And as you noted, there are lots of great companies HQ in Seattle. As the CA MBA programs become even more competitive (22% acceptance rate at Anderson which is typically recognized as the weakest of the big 3 in CA), I think Foster will continue to take lots of bright people interested in the West Coast lifestyle who don't quite make the cut at the CA schools.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 00:09
codytravers wrote:
Uhh... one school is located on the East Coast of North America in Canada, and the other is located on the West Coast of the USA. Pick where you think you'd like to work/network after school. If you don't know the answer to this, then we can't help you.

FWIW, I would have applied to Foster if I didn't get into UCLA, as Seattle and the West Coast in general greatly appeal to me. And as you noted, there are lots of great companies HQ in Seattle. As the CA MBA programs become even more competitive (22% acceptance rate at Anderson which is typically recognized as the weakest of the big 3 in CA), I think Foster will continue to take lots of bright people interested in the West Coast lifestyle who don't quite make the cut at the CA schools.

Thanks a lot codytravers - Appreciate your honest feedback , as of now I have made up mind for Fosters. I don't really appreciate the work culture of East Coast. Although I would like to work in Fin post MBA , but I would be open to explore. I think Foster would give me that option to explore other fields. So thats what its gonna be for the moment

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 00:14
Congrats on making a decision. I don't know much about Foster in general but my sister was at UW for some time for a part of her PhD. UW is a fantastic school and Seattle a great city!

I'm going to Sauder (UBC) just up the road. If you're visiting Vancouver, give me a shout.

Good luck with your MBA!

crackHSW wrote:
codytravers wrote:

Thanks a lot codytravers - Appreciate your honest feedback , as of now I have made up mind for Fosters. I don't really appreciate the work culture of East Coast. Although I would like to work in Fin post MBA , but I would be open to explore. I think Foster would give me that option to explore other fields. So thats what its gonna be for the moment
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 01:10
crackHSW wrote:

Having lived in both Toronto and New Jersey, I don't think Toronto work culture is anything like the work culture in the US Northeast, despite some similarities. Of course, Toronto is not exactly West Coast culture either. I think you made the right decision based on your personal goals and interests. Good luck at Foster!
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 23:53
jxcho wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

Having lived in both Toronto and New Jersey, I don't think Toronto work culture is anything like the work culture in the US Northeast, despite some similarities. Of course, Toronto is not exactly West Coast culture either. I think you made the right decision based on your personal goals and interests. Good luck at Foster!

Thanks jxcho , I was also looking for some information on consulting placements at Foster , I know MBB do not visit the campus , but the others such as Big4 + Accenture Consulting and other boutique firms. Do boutique have enough clout to sponsor H1B for Internationals? I am curious to know this.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 10:24
MBB took 5 this year from Rotman (for Canadian offices). Can't comment on Foster.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 06:33
maroliv12 wrote:
MBB took 5 this year from Rotman (for Canadian offices). Can't comment on Foster.

Foster is not a well known school for consulting , but as a poster above has mentioned that Accenture and the likes come for recruiting undergraduates , so I presume that MBA grads could have some chance. I am not convinced by the fact that I shell out more money at Rotman and come out with a less salary from Rotman. Even if salaries are kept out of equation , something that I cannot predict obviously , I wouldn't want to shell out 20-30K dollars. Also I intend to stay close to West Coast and move to west coast eventually , something I find difficult from Rotman. So lot of factors promoting me to go with Foster :)

Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 02:27
Tried to negotiate with Rotman for Schol , didnt manage to get one... Though got a extension in the deadline...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Can someone help me get aware if Foster helps in getting H1B for international students? I have heard that international students face lot of probelms with their visas and have their last resort to come back to their own country.. thats the only reason I feel Canada is a better option then india.. Visa problems in US are just so not welcoming..
Re: Rotman vs Foster MBA   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2013, 08:25